Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I want to start taping a local band >>>>>  (Read 2697 times)

Offline jasonw

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
I want to start taping a local band >>>>>
« on: June 16, 2006, 02:20:36 AM »
So is would it be pretty easy to hook up my jb3 to their stuff.  I know the cords and stuff I need but I am thinking more of on their end.  They have a portable PA system most of the time and the other times they are going to be in bars.  Do I need to know anything special???  I know what the xlr imputs look like on the soundboard...but do they have labels???  AM I making sense?
Mics: Franken Naks / Cp2
Pre: BM2p+ UA-5
Recorders: Iriver

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
Re: I want to start taping a local band >>>>>
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 02:49:33 AM »
Check with them ahead of time to find out what type of outputs they have on their board. They will have some combination of either xlr, rca, or 1/4" outs. You can get or make cables that will then fit the 1/8" imput of the JB3. Do you have any type of pre amp you'll be running in front of the JB3?

You might also want to look into attenuators which reduce the signal coming from the board. If you're just recording straight to the JB3, even with the internal gain all the way down the signal can still be too hot and ruin the recording.

and the other times they are going to be in bars

Do you mean that they won't be using a PA? Just like amps only and no mics for vocals?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline jasonw

• Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 03:12:51 AM »
Thanks for the advice.... I am looking to get a UA-5....and a Hosa 276...  I havea  number of different cables and suc so I should be good for a board feed.

I ment that I was not sure about what they will use in the "bigger" bars.  If there was a house board or what not....I guess I just have to get out there and do it

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 05:11:02 AM »
unless the board mix is going to be really good, Id suggest getting mics. lots of times with smaller bands the boards are run to make the room sound good, not necesarilly the recording levels coming out of it. thats one of the major reasons why I run mics.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline jasonw

• Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 10:19:08 AM »
unless the board mix is going to be really good, Id suggest getting mics. lots of times with smaller bands the boards are run to make the room sound good, not necesarilly the recording levels coming out of it. thats one of the major reasons why I run mics.

YEha I plan on getting some mics.  Just dont have the $ at the moment. 

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 01:08:25 PM »
I used to patch out of the board whenever I went to see the local jam band but I usually ended up getting a mix that consisted mainly of vocals and drums. Usually the loudest things onstage were very low in the mix (guitars, bass). You must remember the sbd guy is mixing for the room, not tapers. Now I set-up my mics with the hyper caps XY onstage for the instruments and mix in some vocals with a board patch into my UA-5. I used to be satisfied with the lone sbd patch but now my recordings are SO much better since I made the switch.
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 01:18:22 PM »
for true... you are never going to be happy recording the FOH mix. Nobody (except Kenny with the Radiators) mixes for a complete soundboard out.  Look for a ua5 as a frontend... use any mics to reinforce the board sound.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline jasonw

• Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 07:23:47 AM »
for true... you are never going to be happy recording the FOH mix. Nobody (except Kenny with the Radiators) mixes for a complete soundboard out.  Look for a ua5 as a frontend... use any mics to reinforce the board sound.

So run the UA-5 to the soundboard as well as a pair of mics to the UA-5?

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 03:06:13 PM »

If you are on a limited budget to start with like I was, I'd suggest getting some patch cables plus adapters first and see how you like the results. Then you can upgrade as your budget allows. I have some miss. patching stuff laying around collecting dust that you are welcome to have for free, send me a PM. This will get you started for next to nothing. And to answer your original question, the outputs on the sbd are usually labeled Tape Out or something of that nature.
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 04:10:45 PM »

Yes, this is called a matrix. It's usually a soundboard feed plus a mic feed. One of the nice things about the UA-5 is that it allows you to do a matrix "on the fly" meaning having both the sbd feed and mic feed going into the UA-5 at the same time. Usually with the mics going XLR in and the board feed going RCA in.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline itook2much

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 04:52:45 PM »
I used to patch out of the board whenever I went to see the local jam band but I usually ended up getting a mix that consisted mainly of vocals and drums. Usually the loudest things onstage were very low in the mix (guitars, bass).

That was almost always the case when I was playing.  I don't think I ever got a really good tape off the board.  In  a really big club, maybe one time, but usually it's all vocals & drums as you said.

Of course, I liked to play loud, so some tapes the only guitar is bleed from the vocal & drum mics.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com