Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any Difference Between SD MP-2 or Mix Pre?  (Read 2096 times)

Offline MJ

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Any Difference Between SD MP-2 or Mix Pre?
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:52:03 PM »
Is there sonically difference between Sound Devices MP-2 and Sound Device Mix Pre? ???  I thought there is no difference and posted an ISO ad for either of them on Yard Sale.  I was asked by others and am not so sure about it……Now I will soon buy new mics and don’t afford to buy either of pre right away.  But I am very curious to know if there is any difference ;D.

Sincerely,
Koichi
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:18:27 AM by rocknrolljourney »
<Main Rigs>
Schoeps MK4s>(Nbox Active cables)>Nbox+ or Nbox Platinum>Izzy (Split) Cables>Sony PCM-M10 or Sony PCM-D100

<Sub Rigs>
(1)DPA4061s>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)>Church Audio Pre>(3.5 stereo mini+Canare cable + 3.5 stereo mini)>Sony PCM-M10
(2)DSM-6S/L>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)> Sony PCM-M10

<IEM>
(1)scanner
 DJ-X2000
 IC-RX7
(2)receiver
Shure P10R
Sennheiser ek2000
(3)recorders
Marntz PMD706

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Any Difference Between SD MP-2 or Mix Pre?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:19:42 PM »
I understand there is a difference. You can check the knowledge base on the SD website, as I recall this was an FAQ at one point. There is a difference with function, as the MP-2 has M/S capability and the MixPre does not. Sonically, the MP-2 was the first 2 channel pre SD made and was based directly on the original and first SD product, the mono block MP-1 single channel preamps that I use. The MP-1 is unique in the SD line being the only preamp with output transformers in addition to the Lundahl inputs. The MixPre/Shure FP24 redesigned unit differs sonically from the MP-2, and both differ from the MP-1 to my ears based on recordings I have sampled.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline MJ

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Any Difference Between SD MP-2 or Mix Pre?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Hi DATBRAD
Thank you very much for the reply.  Actually I read threads here and there looking for the answer.  But the more I looked for the answer, the more confused I got.  Looks like some people think they are not sonically different and some other think they are.  So I downloaded several recordings of MP-2 or Mix Pre and could not tell the difference???  Both of MP-2 and Mix Pre sounds too good to be true (to my ears).

Sincerely,
Koichi
<Main Rigs>
Schoeps MK4s>(Nbox Active cables)>Nbox+ or Nbox Platinum>Izzy (Split) Cables>Sony PCM-M10 or Sony PCM-D100

<Sub Rigs>
(1)DPA4061s>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)>Church Audio Pre>(3.5 stereo mini+Canare cable + 3.5 stereo mini)>Sony PCM-M10
(2)DSM-6S/L>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)> Sony PCM-M10

<IEM>
(1)scanner
 DJ-X2000
 IC-RX7
(2)receiver
Shure P10R
Sennheiser ek2000
(3)recorders
Marntz PMD706

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com