Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: jb3 external power II...  (Read 73073 times)

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: jb3 external power II...
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2005, 10:57:51 PM »
Dumb question of the week...

What da heck does SLA stand for?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2005, 11:35:49 PM »

Not a dumb question.  We all have geek terminology.  Sealed lead acid battery.  (I think...)

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

hexyjones

« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2005, 11:47:20 PM »
I can use one of these and one of the Creative car adapters, correct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73335&item=5751577596&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2005, 11:50:49 PM »

Not a dumb question.  We all have geek terminology.  Sealed lead acid battery.  (I think...)

Richard

well... actually that would be SLAB!  sealed lead acid

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73335&item=5751577596&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
yes, but you can use any car adaptor that does 4.5-5v and any battery that is 7v or higher.  Ni-MH (nickle metal hydride) RC batts, sla's, and lithium rechargeables all work great

Matt

**edit**  sorry... I just followed that link.  that battery is a NiCad (Nickle Cadmium) (sp?) and thoes will form a memory... that means that you have to discharge it and charge it all the way up each time.  Ni-MH, and Lithium are the best in this regard.  SLA is like your car battery, and should never be fully discharged.  SLA is heaviest, lithium is lightest... take your pick.  I personally like Mi-MH becuause they are easy to maintain, reasonably light, and very cheap.   Try here  http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=474
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 11:59:19 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2005, 12:32:34 AM »

I actually have a couple similar items I bought back in July at woot.com  You can see some information about them, as well as comments in the thread below.   
http://forum.woot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22  and here:  http://www.synmicro.com/itemDetail.asp?z=AC20720C

Basically, the unit outputs 12v, and inside contains 27 alkaline AA batteries.  I've used them camping a few times to power small lights, but I'm considering using one for my JB3 that's in the mail.  Has anyone used them before, or have any comments on why I shouldn't use it?  My main concern (other than will it work at all) is how long of a recording time should I expect with this unit.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2005, 03:25:52 AM »

I actually have a couple similar items I bought back in July at woot.com  You can see some information about them, as well as comments in the thread below.   
http://forum.woot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22  and here:  http://www.synmicro.com/itemDetail.asp?z=AC20720C

Basically, the unit outputs 12v, and inside contains 27 alkaline AA batteries.  I've used them camping a few times to power small lights, but I'm considering using one for my JB3 that's in the mail.  Has anyone used them before, or have any comments on why I shouldn't use it?  My main concern (other than will it work at all) is how long of a recording time should I expect with this unit.  Thanks in advance. 

The important info is the mAH.  for 12v you would need 8 AA bats @ 1.5v or 10 @ 1.2v for rechargables.  The math doesn't work for 27 AA batts.

You could probably do much better w/ the Wal-mart Li-Ion or even a SLA
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2005, 08:23:29 AM »
jimmc, thanks for running that time test.  good to know there is an "all (festival)day" power source.  just what i've been waiting to hear.  +T
we all live downstream.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2005, 08:40:45 AM »

The important info is the mAH.  for 12v you would need 8 AA bats @ 1.5v or 10 @ 1.2v for rechargables.  The math doesn't work for 27 AA batts.

You could probably do much better w/ the Wal-mart Li-Ion or even a SLA
yeah, that is true and keep this in mind also: battery size and weight is determined by two things... voltage and amperage (and the type of battery also).  Add more of either and the weight goes up.  The usable charge of the battery is only determined by the amperage after you reach the minimum for the converter to work... everything else just gets burned off.  So unless you have a reason to go 12 volt, you are just making your bag heavier, and battey power is wasted in generating voltage that will just get burned off in the convertor anyways.  If you are going to use that many batteries, you may as well use them right.  When you connect a battery group of same voltage batteries in series (daisy chain pos to neg to pos to neg etc) you increase the voltage, and when you connect in paralel (pos to pos to pos and neg to neg to neg etc) you increase the amperage.  It may be too early for me to try to make sense here, but that is how it works.  Don't knock yourself out trying to get to 12 volts just because the car adaptor is "meant" for that.  Besides what a pain in the ass it would be to charge that many AA batts... with the RC batts, or the Lion you just plug in once and walk away.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2005, 05:56:30 PM »
So one quick question.  What input voltage does the UA-5 like.  I'm going to buil a box like Mark did and would like to make it run everything I have.  If I can run the JB3, D8 & Dmic20 off the 5.2 V circuit then I'd only need a second for the UA-5 so what should it's output be?

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2005, 06:06:28 PM »
So one quick question.  What input voltage does the UA-5 like.  I'm going to buil a box like Mark did and would like to make it run everything I have.  If I can run the JB3, D8 & Dmic20 off the 5.2 V circuit then I'd only need a second for the UA-5 so what should it's output be?

I'd worry about the load on your 5v.  dunno what the draw of the dmic and d8 are but the jb3 can spike up to 1amp.  I run a dedicated 1.5A circuit for my JB3.

UA5 is reliable from 7.2-12v. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2005, 07:12:24 PM »
What input voltage does the UA-5 like.

Check the UA5 FAQ in the Archival Info forum.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2005, 07:39:17 PM »
That answers my question.  I'm not going to run them all at once on a single circuit, just be able to run my JB3, D8 or DMIC-20 off the same power supply with different output cords.  Make sense?  Maybe build 3 or 4 circuits in to a single box, but then I'd worry about heat. I'm trying to get together a good festival rig for this summer. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2005, 08:24:10 PM »
I'm thinking of getting some custom made PCB boards made that would support this circuit.  One place I checked out would make a board that is about 3.5 x 2 and would be able to support up to 3 of the LM317 based circuits so you could have 3 outputs each with a different voltage off a single input and be able to change the output voltage just by swapping out 2 resistors.  My only real concern in heat.  While there would be room for heat sinks in the box, there would not be any airflow.  Just how hot do these things get?  Obviously as the quantity goes up the price goes down so I'm also curious how many people would be intreseted in buying a PCB board if I had them made.  I've attached a quick CAD drawing of the circuit I'm looking at.  Any comments?

FYI it is a 2 layer board the green is on the bottom layer the red is on the top layer and where the components go through the board it makes the electrical connections

« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 08:26:38 PM by phanophish »

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2005, 02:55:15 PM »
To figure the heat you'll need to sink, calculate the efficiency of the LM317 at the voltage and amperage you want to run at.  I suspect you'll need a decent heat sink on each one, and air free to move thru your enclosure.

Basically these things take the extra voltage and dump it to heat.  So if you're running 10 volts into it and getting .5A at 5V out you have to dump the other 5V to heat.  So that's 2.5 watts. The closer you supply to the output the less waste.

They can get very hot.  A good rule of thumb (literally) is that if you can hold your finger on it, it's ok.  If you yank it away in pain, it's too hot and you are overloading the chip, and it will die soon.

My question is, what happens when the battery dies?  Do you lose the show you're recording on your JB3?   Does it lock up if all of a sudden you start feeding less than 5V into the DC-in connector?  The JB3 is not very robust when it comes to its DC-in !  So it's important to use a big battery for the power supply and hopefully monitor its voltage so the JB3 doesn't crash in the middle of a show.

I'm thinking of getting some custom made PCB boards made that would support this circuit.  One place I checked out would make a board that is about 3.5 x 2 and would be able to support up to 3 of the LM317 based circuits so you could have 3 outputs each with a different voltage off a single input and be able to change the output voltage just by swapping out 2 resistors.  My only real concern in heat.  While there would be room for heat sinks in the box, there would not be any airflow.  Just how hot do these things get?  Obviously as the quantity goes up the price goes down so I'm also curious how many people would be intreseted in buying a PCB board if I had them made.  I've attached a quick CAD drawing of the circuit I'm looking at.  Any comments?

FYI it is a 2 layer board the green is on the bottom layer the red is on the top layer and where the components go through the board it makes the electrical connections

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2005, 10:50:29 AM »
I've got everything coming to do a mock up and will be testing without any air flow initally, just heat sinks.  If all goes well, then I will explore getting the PCBs made up.  I'll let everyone know how it goes.  I know a few people have made boxes based on the same circuit, but have not heard anything related to thermal issues, especially with multiple circuits.  The LM317 stuff I have seen indicates the chip does have overheat protection so it would shutdown before damaging the chip, but you would loose power suddeny if the overheat protection kicks in.  Anyone know how to make a circuit that would indicate input voltage through some LEDs?  We could build that in so you can monitor input voltage level and know when you are getting low.  I wouldn't think it would be too hard, but I'm not a electronics wiz.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.366 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com