Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video  (Read 78324 times)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
Recording in HD eats up the battery life much faster than recording in SD.  Right around twice as fast with another camera I own.  I assume it's because the camera has to write so much more data to the card.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline indiie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2010, 08:36:39 AM »
I tested recording live music with the wind cut function turned on vs turned off. I previously had been doing most recordings with it on but after listening to the difference I recommend really only using it when required.

Wind cut on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41CmpUml3kc

Wind cut off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuRB5bNdOK4

You hear it takes out all of the bass which obviously makes a big difference to a recording, especially for a hip hop set.

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2010, 09:52:08 AM »
Any reviews on the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS7 as it looks like B&H & a few others have discontinued the Z3 ?

Thanks,
Datfly
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »
I don't think it does continuous HD.  I believe it only writes 2gb files. 

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »
It does continuous AVCHD lite, splits files at the 4gb mark. Motion JPEG/mov files aren't continuous with a 2gb limit. 

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2010, 07:10:54 PM »
It does continuous AVCHD lite, splits files at the 4gb mark. Motion JPEG/mov files aren't continuous with a 2gb limit. 

Is that the ZS7 you are talking about? I am in the market for a digi and have been drooling over the ZS3 for its hd vid ability but now that it is discontinued I have been looking into the ZS7 and will pull the trigger soon as I figure out if it has the same ability to record until my sd card is full or battery dies (whatever comes first).

thanks
neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »
i got the newest Lumix recently and am more than happy.

but does anyone know how to transfer and open video files on a mac?  i just copy/pasted everything into a folder on the desktop to make room on the card.  but i'm not sure what to do with them...
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2010, 07:39:11 PM »

Is that the ZS7 you are talking about? I am in the market for a digi and have been drooling over the ZS3 for its hd vid ability but now that it is discontinued I have been looking into the ZS7 and will pull the trigger soon as I figure out if it has the same ability to record until my sd card is full or battery dies (whatever comes first).

thanks
neil

Yep, ZS7/TZ10. I have the TZ10. I picked up a spare 3rd party battery- the one that came with it lasts around 95-105 minutes. Can get roughly 2.5.hrs on a 16GB card (may be slightly less on the ZS7 as the framerate is higher than the TZ10. Only the European TZ10 has a time limit for AVCHD.

Panasonic camera forum: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033

And a review mentioning the AVCHD recording
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/review-panasonic-lumix-zs7-digital-camera-20100518/
The camera can shoot long videos, thanks the use of AVCHD Lite, so you are mainly limited by your choice of memory card and your video quality setting.

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2010, 07:15:36 PM »
Just done my first outdoor shows this last week ago......

forgot all about the wind cut feature, but turns out wind wasn't an issue anyway....

very pleased with the results......used my cloned battery too (posted about that earlier in this thread), runs nicely, but does run out rather abruptly (same record time as the Panasonic though), but goes from 1 (battery indicator) 'pip' gone to 2, then down to dead fairly promptly....word of warning.

Filmed about 10 gigs and took 200 photo's on 2 batteries, lots of zoom though too throughout all my films....

anyway.....see what you think.....  http://www.youtube.com/user/polewka123#g/u
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »
oh, and just taken delivery of a TZ-10. I convinced folks at my office that my team *needs* one........should be a bonus for weekends taping.....got a nice little 16gb card in that one too....
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2010, 01:15:46 AM »
Thanks for the info, I finally managed to pick up a ZS3 recently so have been on the lookout for a spare battery, didn't really want to risk the 'hit n' miss' ebay. Just need to find a good outlet for the 16Gb SDHC cards now. Cheers

I think Costco has the best deal. I'm about to pick one up from there soon.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11307826&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79&N=4001368&Mo=7&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=2255&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C

I hope you didn't pay $119 for that 16gb card.  You could get 3 for that price.    ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=16gb+sdhc&x=0&y=0

Offline sabrewulf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2010, 05:53:25 PM »
Guys,
I'm about to get the ZS3 or ZS7 for concert taping. Would prefer the ZS7, but I read that the recorded volume drops when the volume at the venue is high. Didn't read anything like that regarding the ZS3. So: is the ZS3 superior regarding the sound? Would love to have a camera where I do not have to dub every single video with my separately taken Edirol audio...
Please help.  :)

thanks!

sabrewulf

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
Guys,
I'm about to get the ZS3 or ZS7 for concert taping. Would prefer the ZS7, but I read that the recorded volume drops when the volume at the venue is high. Didn't read anything like that regarding the ZS3. So: is the ZS3 superior regarding the sound? Would love to have a camera where I do not have to dub every single video with my separately taken Edirol audio...
Please help.  :)

thanks!

sabrewulf

LOVE the sound on my ZS3. It won't compare to a HQ rig, but I have found it MORE than decent for video camera quality.

See many of the posts on here, or go to my YouTube page. http://www.youtube.com/user/Chrisedge ANYTHING there without HQ Audio in the title is just the camera audio.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2010, 11:43:02 PM »
I'm gonna have to pick up one of these puppies.  The Mothership, my original Lumix TZ-1, just crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago.  Got four solid years of pictures out it.  Time to upgrade.   

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2010, 06:49:58 AM »
LOVE the sound on my ZS3. It won't compare to a HQ rig, but I have found it MORE than decent for video camera quality.

See many of the posts on here, or go to my YouTube page. http://www.youtube.com/user/Chrisedge ANYTHING there without HQ Audio in the title is just the camera audio.

Audio certainly is good for a camera, but I'd still need to patch in audio from an audio recorder to satisfy me if I was going to be watching it often (and I don't think I'm particular-still love the sound of standard mini-disc).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com