Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Squeezebox Boombox  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Squeezebox Boombox
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:20:53 AM »

FREMONT, Calif. – Aug. 28, 2008 — Today, Logitech (SWX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) unveiled the Logitech® Squeezebox™ Boom all-in-one network music player, featuring an integrated amplifier, high-performance speakers and a simplified setup. Now, it’s easier than ever before to bring digital music to any room in your home.

“The network music player will be the CD player of the 21st century, and Squeezebox Boom is the first player in its class to deliver high-quality audio in a compact, all-in-one design,” said Robin Selden, vice president and general manager of Logitech’s Streaming Media business unit. “From the streamlined setup to the breakthrough acoustics, the Squeezebox Boom is an entirely new type of network music player. Just plug it in and you’re ready to rock the house.”

No Additional Audio Gear, Wires Needed
    With the Logitech Squeezebox Boom all-in-one network music player, you can listen to your digital music in the kitchen, the bedroom or any other room in your home – without needing to attach external speakers. Just plug the new Logitech network music player into a power outlet – there are no additional wires to connect. Then, using your existing home network, you can listen to the music you love from the personal collection on your computer, your favorite Internet radio stations, and subscription services such as Rhapsody®, Last.FM, Slacker, Pandora® and Sirius – even when the computer is off.

Adding Squeezebox Boom to your network is simple. The new Logitech player will automatically detect the available networks. Once you select your network, simply enter your password – for your convenience, Squeezebox Boom automatically remembers it for future use.

For different music in another room of your home, you can easily expand your Squeezebox network music system. Simply add additional Squeezebox Boom players in any room you like or, if you already have an existing stereo system, add another player from the Squeezebox family to your network music setup, including the Logitech® Squeezebox™ Duet network music system.

Listen to Thousands of Internet Radio Stations on High-Performance Speakers
    Upon registering your Squeezebox Boom network music player, you can access thousands of radio stations and millions of songs, aggregated by SqueezeNetwork™ – Logitech’s free, online service – without having to remember Internet addresses or passwords. So you enjoy an optimized wireless-network speed and a secure connection, Squeezebox Boom uses true 802.11g wireless technology and dual internal antennas.

To fill your room with sound, the Squeezebox Boom network music player offers an integrated, all-digital 30-watt amplifier accompanied by two ¾-inch, high-definition, soft-dome tweeters and two 3-inch, high-power, long-throw woofers. A bi-amplified design – which includes a high-performance signal processor, class-D amplifier and digital crossover – delivers crystal clear sound with minimal noise and distortion. For bass lovers, the Squeezebox Boom even includes a subwoofer connection. And if you want to listen to music in private, the 3.5 mm jack lets you plug in your headphones.

The Logitech Squeezebox Boom network music player works as an alarm clock and can wake you up to your favorite tunes. Six preset buttons, located under the display, make it easy to get to your favorite song, Internet radio station or playlist.

The included remote control gives you control of the Squeezebox Boom from across the room. And the remote includes a tiny magnet that lets you easily attach it to the top of the Squeezebox Boom or, for example, your refrigerator.

The Squeezebox Family
    The new Squeezebox Boom is part of the Squeezebox family of products, which includes the award-winning Logitech Squeezebox Duet network music system, Logitech® Squeezebox™ network music player, as well as the audiophiles’ choice, the Logitech® Transporter™ network music player.

Pricing and Availability
    The Logitech Squeezebox Boom network music player is expected to be available in the U.S. and Europe beginning in September for a suggested retail price of $299.99 (U.S.).
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline shane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Squeezebox Boombox
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 10:17:49 AM »
This is what I've been waiting for.  I have to have music on when I sleep, even if I only make through a half a song I just need.  As my wife says "its usually takes me longer to pick out what I'm going to listen to then it does to take me to fall asleep".  I currently use my iPod on a JBL speaker, amplifier dealy thing that sounds like shit.  I currently have a squeezbox in the living room for general listening and I've been looking for something for the night stand.  The only real thing holding me back was speakers.  But since this has built in speakers I'm ready to go.  I just hope it sounds decent.  Nice to have to have it portable too.  I like being to have music with me in any room of the house.  I don't always need high quality sound sometimes I just want to be able to hear something.

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:54:33 AM »
I know, it's about time they made something like this.  I can't wait to get one.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:10:59 PM »
I think I just solved my kitchen music / radio playback challenges.  ;D  Looking forward to this coming out...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:39:02 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »
according to their order page it is already shipping

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »
according to their order page it is already shipping

Indeed.  Kitchen playback challenge solved.  :D
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 06:23:34 AM »
killer.
but does that mean I'll have to turn down the big stereo so I can hear the little one ?

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »
Anyone get one yet? 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 08:25:04 PM »
Just got mine today.  Smaller than I expected.  Sounds good enough for my kitchen, placed on top of my cabinets up near the ceiling.  Out of the box, seems a little bass heavy, so I knocked the bass down a little and treble up a bit.  Haven't listened critically yet, and don't plan to do so.  While the player sounds just fine for my purposes, I'd forgotten how cruddy internet radio sounds - the compression and artifacts are downright painful at times.  I suspect I'll get accustomed to it over time, though - I'm definitely keeping it, since it's awfully nice having (internet) radio + access to my PC-based music in a compact, all-in-one solution.  Bonus:  the remote is magnetized, so I can stick it to my fridge.  :)

Easy to connect, set up, configure, etc.  The Boom automatically installed 2 firmware upgrades as soon as I connected to wifi.  Now I just need to figure out why SqueezeCenter won't properly access my Live365 account.  SqueezeNetwork does just fine, but not SqueezeCenter.  So as it is, to switch from internet radio to PC-based playback, I actually have to switch from SN to SC, or vice versa.  Minor hassle.  Theoretically, I should be able to access Live365 through SC directly.  Hmmmm...
Roland R-05

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:21:02 PM »
I wish my kitchen was big enough to warrant this purchase.

I really am looking for a system that can play my hard drive FLAC's to my stereo, so i dont have to burn CD's

anyone that can direct me to the right components would be really helping me out alot

thanks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 12:09:22 AM »
The Boom is quite small:  13"W x 5"H x 3.1"D (330mm x 127mm x 79mm).  Even in a small kitchen, you may be able to find room.

As for stereo playback of FLACs from HDD, I like my Squeezebox Classic.  The Classic will feed your stereo unbalanced analog (RCA) or digital (optical or coax) outs.  Note the Classic only handles up to 24/48, however.  It's not a great interface for browsing music - I'm only able to read a single disc/album/recording at a time on the screen - but if you know what you want to listen to, it's easy to queue it up by either browsing or searching.

That said, if they'd had them on offer when I got mine, I may have gone the Duet (Receiver + Controller) route, instead.
Roland R-05

Offline shane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 12:26:23 PM »
I've had my Boom for a couple weeks now and I'm in love with it.  I bought to go on the nightstand for going to sleep.  Works great and the sound is good enough for that.  I wouldn't want to put it in a large room but for small room/quiet applications its perfect.  I used to use my iPod w/ a little JBL sound donut thingy.  It worked fine but didn't sound all that great.  Its nice to use the Boom because it sounds better to begin with and I'm playing lossless files on it.  My ony real gripe with it is the remote.  Its pretty cheesy.  I like the one that came with my Squeezebox way better.  Having the alphabet on it would be nice.  Having to scroll through a couple hundred artists is a pain but luckily is goes pretty fast if you hold up or down.  Internet radio is a nice feature too as well as access to archive.org.  I would definitely recommend this to someone looking for a playback tool in an office or bedroom type place.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 07:05:31 PM »
My ony real gripe with it is the remote.  Its pretty cheesy.  I like the one that came with my Squeezebox way better.  Having the alphabet on it would be nice.  Having to scroll through a couple hundred artists is a pain but luckily is goes pretty fast if you hold up or down.

I mainly use my Boom for kitchen radio listening.  I love being able to stick the small, magnetic remote to my fridge!  The ability to listen to my computer-based music collection is really just a bonus for me.  And for listening to computer-based music, I agree, the stock Boom remote is a PITA.  Fortunately, the Squeezebox remote also works with the Boom.  Since I use a programmable remote to control the Squeezebox (as well as all my other primary A/V devices), I keep the Squeezebox remote in a drawer in the kitchen right next to the fridge.  So sometimes for browsing my computer-based music collection on the Boom, I'll just pull the Squeezebox remote out of the kitchen drawer instead of grabbing the stock remote off the fridge.
Roland R-05

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 07:56:03 PM »
My ony real gripe with it is the remote.  Its pretty cheesy.  I like the one that came with my Squeezebox way better.  Having the alphabet on it would be nice.  Having to scroll through a couple hundred artists is a pain but luckily is goes pretty fast if you hold up or down.

I mainly use my Boom for kitchen radio listening.  I love being able to stick the small, magnetic remote to my fridge!  The ability to listen to my computer-based music collection is really just a bonus for me.  And for listening to computer-based music, I agree, the stock Boom remote is a PITA.  Fortunately, the Squeezebox remote also works with the Boom.  Since I use a programmable remote to control the Squeezebox (as well as all my other primary A/V devices), I keep the Squeezebox remote in a drawer in the kitchen right next to the fridge.  So sometimes for browsing my computer-based music collection on the Boom, I'll just pull the Squeezebox remote out of the kitchen drawer instead of grabbing the stock remote off the fridge.

i wish i had a house big enough to warrant a kitchen listening area where the living room and dining room arent so close.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:21:52 AM »
Now that it's been some time... how has the Squeezebox Boom been? I'm thinking of one for our upcoming nursery...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com