Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SLIM DEVICES Squeeze box  (Read 18560 times)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: SLIM DEVICES Squeeze box
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 08:34:51 PM »
The SB3 also alieviates the need for a pre with its digital volume control.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 12:30:57 AM »
I've not heard a difference between wired v. wireless, though I've not done any official head-to-head comps - just casual listening set up one way, and then more casually listening at a later date set up the other way.

FWIW, at first I had trouble running 24/48 over my Linksys Wireless-G access point (WAP54g v.2).  My WAP was 5 thick, old-construction walls away from the SB3, and I had trouble with skipping.  I also had trouble with reliable wireless for PC in the same room.  Not so much a squeezebox issue as a wireless issue, it turns out.  I applied a hacked firmware to my access point to increase it's broadcast strength, and no problems since.  Couldn't be happier.  I'm totally media-free now in my listening:  PC > DAC > Audio Experiences Symphony / McCormack DNA-1 > VSA VR-1s in the office, PC > router > wireless > SB3 digi-out > STR-DA3000ES > VR-1 for living room, and iAudio M3 for portable audio.  Love it across the board.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 10:56:11 AM »
damn, may be time to get a SB3....is the pricing on their website pretty much the best you are going to get or do they have distributor relationships at all?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 11:08:40 AM »
That's as good as it gets..  They sometimes have a $50 off two type of offer. I think they have some very limited distro outside the US but it surely is not a path to discount.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006, 11:10:29 AM »
That's as good as it gets..  They sometimes have a $50 off two type of offer. I think they have some very limited distro outside the US but it surely is not a path to discount.

ok thanks...will need to look into getting a unit...

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2006, 11:11:47 AM »
Damn.  Wish I would have looked into this prior to picking up the M-Auido Firewire Audiophile.  Seems like it would have been a step up.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2006, 11:34:30 AM »
Damn.  Wish I would have looked into this prior to picking up the M-Auido Firewire Audiophile.  Seems like it would have been a step up.

I don't know that it's a step up.  Depends on your needs.  I use the wireless SB3 in my LR because my PC's on the other end of the house and I didn't want to run a cable to nor put a PC in the LR.  But for the office, where my PC resides, I just route a S/PDIF signal from my existing soundcard to my DAC/stereo and skip the SB3.  No need for an SB3 if the stereo's in the same room, IMO.  Besides, I far prefer using Foobar for playback on my PC in the office.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 11:40:07 AM »

I don't know that it's a step up.  Depends on your needs.  I use the wireless SB3 in my LR because my PC's on the other end of the house and I didn't want to run a cable to nor put a PC in the LR.  But for the office, where my PC resides, I just route a S/PDIF signal from my existing soundcard to my DAC/stereo and skip the SB3.  No need for an SB3 if the stereo's in the same room, IMO.  Besides, I far prefer using Foobar for playback on my PC in the office.

I guess I was looking at it as a step up due to the fact that:

1) I'd have the option of using it wireless.  Would be nice to move it downstairs for listening if I wanted to.
2) It has a remote.
3) I dig the streaming radio features.

Although the M-Audio box supports 24/96.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2006, 02:47:40 PM »
You forgot...it sounds better too ;D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline mwz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2006, 11:56:38 PM »
Ah.. Thanks.. I was looking at the new beta and it is still behind the nightly..

I wonder how they are doing the resample?  The bug filing implied the fix was done in the firmware.

Bitrate: 4608kbps CBR

Sample Rate: 96.0 kHz

Sample Size: 24 Bits

Good question - above is what slimserver reports w/ 24/96 files.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 12:53:21 AM by mwz »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2006, 12:13:54 AM »

do you mean the sb3 > maudio firewire?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »

do you mean the sb3 > maudio firewire?

Yes.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 04:13:10 PM »
did i read right that people are doing $750 power supply mods to a $300 box that is receiving a wireless signal from your pc and doing an on the fly conversion of flac to pcm and outputting digitally?  am i right?  that seems nuts.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 04:15:39 PM »
did i read right that people are doing $750 power supply mods to a $300 box that is receiving a wireless signal from your pc and doing an on the fly conversion of flac to pcm and outputting digitally?  am i right?  that seems nuts.

dude you gotta trust your ears :P

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 04:16:28 PM »
i'm just trying to figure out what possibly could be affected by improving the power supply if there is no analog stage?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com