Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Old Tube Gear  (Read 2269 times)

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Old Tube Gear
« on: December 05, 2006, 05:01:27 PM »
I kinda curious about how tube stereo amps sound and would love have one, but my I can't spend allot of money.  I saw this post http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=47235.0 and I am wondering what old tube gear can be picked up for, under $200ish? Also what skills are needed to restore such things?   

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: Old Tube Gear
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 09:54:58 PM »
I kinda curious about how tube stereo amps sound and would love have one, but my I can't spend allot of money.  I saw this post http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=47235.0 and I am wondering what old tube gear can be picked up for, under $200ish? Also what skills are needed to restore such things?   

If you're thinking of a Dynaco amp:

http://www.geocities.com/vintageaudio/cdrom.html

Hthey have an e-mail link at the bottom also.

I'm not sure about the Dynaco amps, but I know some can be a bitch to find the necessary parts for (correct values etc.)  Personally (just me) I'd be careful, it's possible you could end up spending close to what it would have cost to buy an amp in good working condition.  If you like projects and you have patience it might be pretty fun.

Unless you can visually inspect the amp and get a decent assesment (and knowledge to do so) on what needs to be restored I'd be cautious.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:14:35 AM »
Think more in the $500 range to get a decent used tube amp on http://audiogon.com/. Unless you know what you are doing/have expierence with these things, stay away from the words "vintage" and "tube" unless you enjoy  :banging head:. You should be able to find my amp (a Rogue 88) for about $500 these days. It is a great amp and a good into into tubes. It's self biasing and you can run EL34, 6550, or KT88 tubes in it simply by pluging them in. Come to think of it, I may be tempted to sell you my amp (for no other reason than I've had it for a year and I'm just due for a change... I still love the sound and all I'm thinking of buying Skalender's DNA-1 but need a push) if you want to ask me nicely ;)
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 07:10:10 AM »
DNA....
look for the rev A model.
:)

I've seen some jolida amps and integrateds for under 500.

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 07:31:05 PM »
I've rebuilt a half dozen Dyanaco ST70s in the last few years, along with 3 or for PAS pre-amps, a pair of Mark IV monoblocks, an Eico HF-85 preamp, and a some other kit here and there.  I got into it with absolutely no experience, read a lot, and learned a lot.  Many of the dyanco gear, heathkit, eico, etc... were sold as kits with fairly detailed instructions on how to build and troubleshoot the gear, plus there is a plethora of info out ther today.

If you're looking to get into it, you can't really do it for under $200.  Best bet is probably $300 or so for a decent ST-70 which you'll have to sink ~100+ into.  If you do go that route, try to get one that still has the original tubes, not a new set.  The new tubes that tend to come with amps generally suck ass, and should be avoided.  A mullard GZ-34 will outlast you, the EL34s i've seen generally have a couple years worth of life left in them (some much more, others less).  Buy one that already works, then replace at a bare minimum the bias circuit, the electroylytic can cap, and the selenium rectifier stack.

The parts are readily availble for most things except maybe the electrolytic caps on the Mark II and Mark III amps.  Try www.dynakit-parts.com they even sell new kits if you so desire, I bought a new power tranny for a Mark IV from them, and they are very well made.

Amps like the Marantz 8-B and HK Citation II are among the best ever made, they may be old, but they're still kickass.  Old school gear kicks ass, and the fact that there is so much of it still around is a testament to it's build quality.  There is tons of info out there on it. 
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 10:31:13 PM »
I've rebuilt a half dozen Dyanaco ST70s in the last few years, along with 3 or for PAS pre-amps, a pair of Mark IV monoblocks, an Eico HF-85 preamp, and a some other kit here and there.  I got into it with absolutely no experience, read a lot, and learned a lot.  Many of the dyanco gear, heathkit, eico, etc... were sold as kits with fairly detailed instructions on how to build and troubleshoot the gear, plus there is a plethora of info out ther today.

If you're looking to get into it, you can't really do it for under $200.  Best bet is probably $300 or so for a decent ST-70 which you'll have to sink ~100+ into.  If you do go that route, try to get one that still has the original tubes, not a new set.  The new tubes that tend to come with amps generally suck ass, and should be avoided.  A mullard GZ-34 will outlast you, the EL34s i've seen generally have a couple years worth of life left in them (some much more, others less).  Buy one that already works, then replace at a bare minimum the bias circuit, the electroylytic can cap, and the selenium rectifier stack.

The parts are readily availble for most things except maybe the electrolytic caps on the Mark II and Mark III amps.  Try www.dynakit-parts.com they even sell new kits if you so desire, I bought a new power tranny for a Mark IV from them, and they are very well made.

Amps like the Marantz 8-B and HK Citation II are among the best ever made, they may be old, but they're still kickass.  Old school gear kicks ass, and the fact that there is so much of it still around is a testament to it's build quality.  There is tons of info out there on it. 

+T

All absolutely excellent advice! vintage DIY is a different world than vintage end user (plug 'n play). If you have the knack you will save a truckload of money and get great sound.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com