Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendation for stereo system  (Read 1803 times)

Offline kidtexas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Recommendation for stereo system
« on: October 04, 2007, 10:13:35 PM »
Hey, at some point in the future, next year or so, I'll be upgrading my system.  I don't want anything crazy audiophile (not sure I buy into all that) but I do understand the importance of quality, etc.  I've currently got a pair of PMC monitors for mixing purposes and am planning on getting a bigger pair for my main stereo.  Also planning on picking up a Technics SL1200MK3 turntable.  That's kind of the quality level that I'm looking at - certainly not scraping the bottom of the barrel, but pretty good value for good quality.

Here's my question.  I want a simple preamp solution.  I only really want and need something with a phono input, input for a CD player (doesn't need to do D/A), and maybe two other inputs (computer and aux).  Whether or not it's an integrated solution, I'm up for suggestions, but I'd certainly be willing to put a bit of cash into a decent amp, like a used Bryston.  You guys have any good suggestions for a nice center piece for a system?  Good value, but nice quality, without 400 different modes of frickin' surround sound? 

Thanks!

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recommendation for stereo system
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 06:45:18 AM »
Well time for you to meet your new best friend..........................................

http://www.audiogon.com/index.html

Start in the forums until you start to learn the brands & features you are looking for. Once you have an idea of what you are looking for in a house sound you can start to shop. As far as your phono is concerned you will either need an additional phono pre or an really good integrated with built in phono, I won't even start to bring up the differences in MM vs. MC cartridges for your turntable but it's a safe bet you will have an MC cart, that will make finding the proper phono pre a bit easier. Real briefly, you need an additional phono pre or a dedicated phono input on your integrated because the output from a cartridge (needle) is so low & it must be amplified much higher rate than the typical output of a CD player for instance.

As far as not buying into the whole Audiophile thing, good luck. It's the best journey I have ever experienced, you'll see  >:D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 08:40:01 AM »
...but it's a safe bet you will have an MC cart, that will make finding the proper phono pre a bit easier.

I'm 99.9% sure Carl meant to say "MM," not MC.

It won't give you a whole lot of pride in ownership, but a Panasonic receiver will give you phenomenal bang for the buck.  Yeah, they have all kinds of bells and whistles you won't want or need, but it's not like you're paying much for them.  When you hear what a class-D amp can do with a live recording, you'll be amazed.

I seriously doubt it has a phono stage, but you can pick up an affordable phono pre in the used market... something like a Creek or Lehmann.   

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 08:47:36 AM »
Yes you are correct. Sorry, I am running a MC but most run MM.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 12:00:11 PM »
PMC and Bryston are supposed to be a good match.  There are some Bryston integrated amps but I'm not sure if they have phono or not.  Depending on what PMC's you have they may be power hungry as well which could call for a beefier amp than the Bryston integrated would offer.  Check out the sensitivity on the speakers and that will help you pick the right amp to match up with it.  I think that integrateds in general are a good way to go if you like to keep it simple and of course they were engineered for everything to work together well and sound good together which is easier than trying to find the right pre to match a given amp.  Good luck man...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.17 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com