Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In-Wall Speakers?  (Read 3617 times)

Offline spott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
In-Wall Speakers?
« on: February 09, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »
I know zero about these... I'm about to move into a new house and I'm trying to plan out the TV room (space is 10'x14') and the GAF/WAF (girlfriend / wife acceptance factor) is a big issue - she's made it clear that towers are out of the question**, I'm not sure about wall mounts? I'd need to see how they look and run them past the boss.  Ideally, this would be for standard TV and 5.1 / 7.1 movies. I've done a little bit of homework on them and have seen mostly home manufacturer / industrial grade stuff - anyone doing this or have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Spott

** The good news is that there's a finished attic where I'll have free reign to setup anything else as I please
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:00:36 PM by spott »

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: In-Wall Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 07:12:25 PM »
good luck on the GAF there spot!  where is the new house.  We still need to grab a pint and catch up.  silly that we live five minutes away and only see each other at random shows...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 07:29:55 PM »
Klipsch makes a decent in-wall setup. It seems to be geared towards movies.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »
I know zero about these... I'm about to move into a new house and I'm trying to plan out the TV room (space is 10'x14') and the GAF/WAF (girlfriend / wife acceptance factor) is a big issue - she's made it clear that towers are out of the question**, I'm not sure about wall mounts? I'd need to see how they look and run them past the boss.  Ideally, this would be for standard TV and 5.1 / 7.1 movies. I've done a little bit of homework on them and have seen mostly home manufacturer / industrial grade stuff - anyone doing this or have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Spott

** The good news is that there's a finished attic where I'll have free reign to setup anything else as I please

I would say put your foot down man.. dont be one of these guys.. Look I just came home with them and said here is our new stereo.. She freaked out for a day or two and it was over. She has adjusted to them just fine. Now every once and a while she bangs into them and curses me but its a small price to pay for hi fidelity.. ;D

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 09:01:23 PM »
The house is in Essex, 3 bedroom colonial that we're closing on in the end of February.  Sierra (my fiance') wants to start on the TV room as soon as we move in; and she's intent on painting the room, etc. - so it seems if I want to get some kind of speakers (aside from the TV speakers) I'm gonna have to put them in the wall (ideally before any painting gets done).

Believe me, if this was a battle worth fighting I'd put my foot down - and get some VR3's in there... but I'm choosing my battles

Here's an interesting article from electronic house (discussing the same thing)
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/50_space_saving_speakers
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 09:06:41 PM by spott »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 09:07:26 PM »
The house is in Essex, 3 bedroom colonial that we're closing on in the end of February.  Sierra (my fiance') wants to start on the TV room as soon as we move in; and she's intent on painting the room, etc. - so it seems if I want to get some kind of speakers (aside from the TV speakers) I'm gonna have to put them in the wall (ideally before any painting gets done).

Here's an interesting article from electronic house (discussing the same thing)
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/50_space_saving_speakers

I just have one thing to say "WE NEED MORE COWBELL" I am not familiar with the UK but I assume there are lots of good places to get in wall speakers. The one thing I will say is you really need to prepare the space that the speaker is going to sit in well... So that it creates a nice space for the speaker... I am not a fan of in wall speakers because in most cases you cant really aim them.. Some speakers have wave guides on the tweeters but they forget about the midrange... its also directional. I dont know really if you can get regular speakers I personally think you would be better off.

Chris

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:53:57 PM »
We do need more cowbell, hell - if Bruce Dickinson know anything he'd agree that we need some floor standing speakers taboot (but I don't think I'm going to get any).  I'm here stateside... Essex, CT (on the water, halfway between New Haven & Hartford) and about 90 miles to both NYC & Boston. 

I've been reading articles about preparing the space and making sure to treat the insulation... but I'm thinking this may be a lost cause (great for new construction, but for an antique colonial... maybe not).  I really think I'm better off sinking money into my own playback and forgetting the TV room.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 10:48:26 PM »
i am looking at the mirage omnisats or nanosats. they are mounted in the ceiling, and are also aimable (the whole speaker swivels in the mount)...

my setup is the flat panel on the wall (power outlet in-wall behind panel), hdmi (in-wall from behind panel to the corner where the receiver is. this is also where the speaker cables terminate (from hole in the wall up the wall to the attic, spaced through the ceiling to where the speakers will be. subwoofer will be in the corner under the receiver shelf (which floats from the wall).

gonna use 7 of the in-ceilings and likely pair with the onkyo 605...

hth
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline boojum

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 12:52:20 AM »
Just a word of warning about that finished attic: the bass will come down through the floor.  You know all those stories about the neighbor in the apartment upstairs and all you hear is "boom - boom - boom"?  Well, that will be your sweetie while you are up there cranking it.  How about the basement/cellar?  Much better bet.  8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 08:41:28 AM »
Nice Chris.
Spoken like a guy who can go long spells w/o sex apparently.
:)

Here is my suggestion...
the $900 Magnepan HT setup.  Flat, hang em on the wall.  No cutting into the sheetrock to install boxes.  They sound magnificent, have been very favorably reviewed..., and are not bustin' the bank at all.
http://magnepan.com/home_theater
MC1's, the MCC and you're good to go.
Just be sure that your receiver (or amps) can drive the 4ohm load and you're in heaven.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 10:41:23 AM »
Nice Chris.
Spoken like a guy who can go long spells w/o sex apparently.
:)

Here is my suggestion...
the $900 Magnepan HT setup.  Flat, hang em on the wall.  No cutting into the sheetrock to install boxes.  They sound magnificent, have been very favorably reviewed..., and are not bustin' the bank at all.
http://magnepan.com/home_theater
MC1's, the MCC and you're good to go.
Just be sure that your receiver (or amps) can drive the 4ohm load and you're in heaven.

Well that's not entirely true sure for the first month or so she did not really want to talk to me... but after a wile I got her some new cd's and she learned to enjoy all that wood ;D

Thank you thank you I am here all week folks...  8)

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »
errr... Medeski, Martin & Wood?   :P

Thanks for the heads-up Boojum, sadly there's no basement the house is on a poured concrete slab - so my choices are to take a "bedroom" and convert it to  a listening room or take over the attic? I'm thinking attic, since there's more space up there.

Nick, I'm reading up on the MC1's, they're almost like "flat" electrostatics - cool concept
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 11:46:17 AM by spott »

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 12:42:35 PM »
Seeing as you are in jolly old England, how about a pair of Naim N Sats wall mounted?  Apparently they are very quick and musical sounding speakers and have proprietary wall brackets.  That would be a good comprimise if floor space is an issue.  In wall speakers are definitely going to comprimise your sound quality big time and although on wall is not ideal, you will still get great sound.  Just add a Nait 5i integrated and you're making some serious music while avoiding the tower speaker thing at the same time.  They also make a matching sub that you could hide behind something if you can pull it off. 

Good luck for sure, fortunatley my girlfriend of 10 years knows full well that whatever audio gear that comes in the house is beyond her control and is cool with that.  Although, I always use her ears as well and respect her opinion which is unclouded by reviews, what other people say online etc.  Regardless of what you should choose, be sure to have a listen first.  Being in England where there is solid interest in audio, there will be lots of options that you can persue over there...

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »
I useTannoy M2IW  (In wall speakers) for my surrounds.  I use Tannoy MX2-M's for my fronts and a Tannoy MX2-C for my center.

If you prepare the wall cavity well with a wood enclosure and polyfill or insulation they will sound great!

Tannoy doesn't make the M2 anymore, but they have quite a few in-wall/in-ceiling speakers that get great reviews....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com