Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferring old DATs... Need a refresher course.  (Read 2314 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Transferring old DATs... Need a refresher course.
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:00:53 AM »
Found a cache of old DATs lying about. Back in my n00b days I wasn't so good at documenting sample rates nor did I do a good job at formatting the tapes before recording...

I've got an old, uncirculated Derek Trucks Band SBD that I want to transfer. Pretty sure I recorded it on an unformatted 90M DAT via DA-P1. Transferring via D8>Oade 7-Pin>722. Any way to be sure of the sample rate?

To make things more interesting, the first song is cut for about 5 minutes of silence,  and the 722 indicates 16/48, but when the music kicks in it switches to 16/44.1.

Wondering what settings I should set on the 722 to get an accurate transfer. I selected 16/44.1 but i'm pretty sure there is a pitch problem which makes me think I may have recorded @ 16/48.

A little help thinking this through would be appreciated...

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Transferring old DATs... Need a refresher course.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:19:02 AM »
16/44.

To elaborate, if you have your 722 set-up to accept a SPDIF signal, and use the external Word Clock (that of the DAT PLayer), it should aumotacially lock into whatever it needs (16/44 or 16/48)...  Someone with more experience with the 722 can tell you more...  But it shouldn't let you record a 44k at 48k, unless you have it running through the analog input... 

For me, I have to set my HD-P2 to whatever signal it is, and then it will record.  Otherwise, it won't start...  And if and when the DAT changes from 44 to 48, it will stop recording, though if it goes from 48 to 44, it will continue (HD-P2 defaults to 48k)...

I had a Nomad Jukebox3 that would let you record a 44k at 48k (and vice versa), but the error was obvious upon playback (too slow or too fast)... 

Terry
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:56:45 PM by -T Watts (still not wearing pants) »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
I don't want to hiack this thread but it got me thinking.

I recently went thru all my old DATS and dumped them to .wav files. In the "old days" I would use my ZA2 and convert on the fly from 48 > 44 or 32 > 44 etc...
I relied on Audacity for it this time. Audacity's converters would not have introduced any additional noise that I hear talked about in all the 24 bit discussions on this site would it? I would say 75% of the DATs were 44.1, but the rest were 48 and a few 32s.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
Audacity's converters would not have introduced any additional noise that I hear talked about in all the 24 bit discussions on this site would it?

In a word, no.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:56:21 PM »

I recently went thru all my old DATS and dumped them to .wav files. In the "old days" I would use my ZA2 and convert on the fly

I totally regret selling my old 450mhz machine that was my DAW with the ZA2 installed in it.  It was the only soundcard that could do that.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:16:43 PM »
After further tinkering, it seems like the 722 locks to the first valid SPDIF signal it gets and writes the header data as such. In my case a poorly/improperly formatted DAT (1 minute leader written as 48/16 silence, but actual material recorded @ 44.1/16).

Managed to 'fool' the 722 by waiting for it to lock on to the 44.1/16 signal by waiting for the levels to jump (crowd noise) and then hitting record on the 722...

Boy I do not miss DAT at all...

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:56:09 PM »
After further tinkering, it seems like the 722 locks to the first valid SPDIF signal it gets and writes the header data as such. In my case a poorly/improperly formatted DAT (1 minute leader written as 48/16 silence, but actual material recorded @ 44.1/16).

Managed to 'fool' the 722 by waiting for it to lock on to the 44.1/16 signal by waiting for the levels to jump (crowd noise) and then hitting record on the 722...

Boy I do not miss DAT at all...

LOL!  Yeah, I get that all the time!  48k leader into a 44k recording!  I've gotten pretty good at pausing the deck right when it hits 44k...  I set the P2 to record at 44k, wait a min. then hit play on the deck... 

Glad you 're figuring it out!

Terry

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com