Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol r09hr with ca14 cards  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Thierry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Edirol r09hr with ca14 cards
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:25:35 AM »
I'm going to a show in a few days. At the moment I don't have a battery box or a pre amp. So I'm going to use the mic in of the edirol, which settings would be ideal now to get a decent recording? It is a rock show.

Thanks!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol r09hr with ca14 cards
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »
Mic Gain switch on low, Limiter/Auto Gain Control switch on off & Low Cut switch on off.

However, if you use the menus to set the Limiter/Auto Gain Contol switch to operate the limiter instead of the AGC, it is OK to have that switch on as a safety valve (though some here would disagree with me). Set your levels to peak at around -12 and the limiter isn't likely to kick in anyway.  However, if you make a mistake and the switch turns on the AGC it will have a very negative effect on the recording.

Under the Recorder Setup Menu
1) Set the record mode to Wave-24 bit. Be sure not to be recording to mp3. Recording in 16 bit would sound fine, but 24 bit allows you to set your levels lower to guard again overloading at peaks without adding audible noise when you boost the levels 12 db or even a bit more in post.
2) Set the sampling frequency to 44.1, 48.0, or 88.2, or 96.0  KHz as you prefer. I use 44.1 (CD Quality), but I believe most of us use 48.0 and some use the higher bit rates (that take up about twice the space on you SD card). Especially when using the internal mics, I don't believe you'll hear any improvement in your recording by using 88.2 or 96.0.

I can't help you with where to initially set the record level to get peaks at around -12 dB. I don't ever  use the internal mics (although I once recorded several songs at a live show with them as a test and the recording came out better than I expected). If it's going to be a loud show, if nobody else can help you with this, maybe start with the levels at around 40/100 and adjust when the show starts.  While you are adjusting the levels, the recorder will probably add audible noise to the recording (mine does/guysonic says that some of them don't), so it is best to do it during applause when possible.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »
fmadejr's pretty much answered most of what you wanted to know about, however, I'll add that if you're doing rock shows, you'll want to add a battery box (at the very least).  For Rock Shows (assuming small-to-mid sized club set up), the levels will be loud enough.  Preamps are only really usefull when you're dealing with quieter pop shows in music halls/performing arts centres or quieter stuff.  More often than not, I grab the battery box, mics and M10 and out the door I go.

AGC is an ugly feature that I managed to "enable" on an old portable DAT deck back in the early-to-mid '90s.  I made that mistake ONCE and never again.   24/48 is a "happy" place to record at.  Some people will say 96 is better but I've yet to hear any real difference except for wasting twice the bandwidth. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
limiter ON AGC OFF 24/48 and mic gain LOW. PIP ON as well
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »
limiter ON AGC OFF 24/48 and mic gain LOW. PIP ON as well

He's using internal mics so the PIP will be on whether the PIP switch is on or off. That's why I didn't mention it.

I agree about the limiter since you should set levels so its unlikely to kick in anyway and it makes a good safety valve. For some reason, many of us disagree with me & Bean on this. However if you do use this limiter be sure you don't make a mistake and have the switch operating the AGC instead. That will trash your recording.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »
He's using internal mics so the PIP will be on whether the PIP switch is on or off. That's why I didn't mention it.

I agree about the limiter since you should set levels so its unlikely to kick in anyway and it makes a good safety valve. For some reason, many of us disagree with me & Bean on this. However if you do use this limiter be sure you don't make a mistake and have the switch operating the AGC instead. That will trash your recording.

Says he's using "ca14 cards" (in the title) and doesn't have a "battery box or preamp" (in the original post). :)

Limiter OFF is fine (and my preference)... just try to get your levels to peak around -12dB or -10dB tops (if you're recording in 24/48, you can boost the levels in post with little headache).  If you set your levels right (and even there is the odd "0" clip you should be perfectly fine). 

AGC is bad news every time. 

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »
I'm going to a show in a few days. At the moment I don't have a battery box or a pre amp. So I'm going to use the mic in of the edirol, which settings would be ideal now to get a decent recording? It is a rock show.

Thanks!
To avoid disappointment you should always use a battery box or preamp with my mics. Most concerts you can get away with it. But the problem is you never know what concerts will overload. So that's my recommendation to you. If you are going to use a battery box run line input with the gain set to the middle of the range and slowly bring it up to -10 average reading turn off AGC turn off Bass roll off.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 09:27:52 AM »
Says he's using "ca14 cards" (in the title) and doesn't have a "battery box or preamp" (in the original post). :)

Sorry. English is not his native language and I misread that part of his post. If he's trying to go mic in with the CA-14's of course Bean is right about needing to turn the plug in power on.

Someone here posted a few months ago about getting a good pull with a CA-14 straight into an R-09HR or M10 (even though it is not recommended) so perhaps Thierry will get a recording that's surprisingly good.

Offline Thierry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 02:50:30 PM »
Thanks guys I did get a pretty decent recording of the show.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »
Thanks guys I did get a pretty decent recording of the show.

Samples ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com