Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running longer cable lengths  (Read 1424 times)

Offline tibbsa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Running longer cable lengths
« on: October 24, 2004, 01:50:37 AM »
If you had little choice but to set your stand up somewhere and run a "long" cable run to your recorders/seat/standing position (~10-15ft), what can you do to keep people from killing (or constantly tripping over) the cable?  I'm talking about a more 'sit-down' venue here, and not a busy dance club.  (I was in a wee tiny little coffee house the other day, trying to picture how one could setup there...)

On the one hand, a very long piece of duct tape could suffice, but depending on the venue and their flooring, they might not appreciate it much. 
On the other hand, walking around with those 1-foot wide rubber mats isn't exactly an option either. 

Is there anything "in between" the two that people have used in the past?

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Running longer cable lengths
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 01:53:25 AM »
try gaffers tape, it won't leave a residue on the floor or your cables.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 03:05:44 PM »
When I did live sound I used to carry rubber mats for covering the snakes. I think that this is the best solution. Gaffers tape gets to be a drag at the end of the night when you have to peel it up and pull it off your cables.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline tibbsa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 08:22:34 PM »
When I did live sound I used to carry rubber mats for covering the snakes. I think that this is the best solution. Gaffers tape gets to be a drag at the end of the night when you have to peel it up and pull it off your cables.

Perhaps, but I won't have tons of cables, and doubt I could find rubber mats small and portable enough for the task.  I won't be driving any time soon, and you can only put so much in a backpack, along with stands, recorders, battery boxes, etc.  :)

I found some Gaffer's tape locally, so that should work...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com