Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New to Taping - Microtrack and DPA Questions  (Read 1511 times)

Offline thirdeye99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
New to Taping - Microtrack and DPA Questions
« on: August 01, 2006, 07:47:38 AM »
Hello all –

My first post here and I hope I’m posting to the right section. I’m a long-time collector and have finally decided to get into taping. First, I just wanted to say thank you to the mods and everyone for this great forum. I’ve been pouring over all of this extensive information for weeks (and am still confused as hell  :-\).
OK – I will be buying my first recording rig. I’ve narrowed it down to DPA 4061 mics and either a Microtrack or Edirol R-09. I will be recording primarily rock/hard rock shows in stealth (though I do also go to jazz-fusion shows). And in this rig - I’m looking for maximum stealth, fewest ‘parts’ possible, and ease of use (while still obtaining a great recording).   
I’m set on the 4061 mics but am split on Microtrack vs. R-09. Please keep in mind I am a total and complete NEWBIE when it comes to taping and taping gear, so if you could - please talk to me like I am one  :) Some of these will be some seriously dumb questions, but it’s not for a lack of trying to look for the answers.  Questions:   

1)   I have read extensively about the Microtrack here and elsewhere, but cannot ascertain a definitive opinion about its recording levels. Are the meter levels definitely accurate for analogue (line in) recording, and not accurate for S/PDIF in? In other words, can I use the MT to accurately monitor my recording levels while recording at a concert?

2)   Since I will be recording with two mics – how do you go S/PDIF in which only has one input hole? (I told you there’d be dumb questions).

3)   Can you do 24/48 bit recordings going line-in? What about 24/96? Or do you need to go S/PDIF in to do this?  (Clearly I’m confused on the bit level thing).

4)   I have read with interest that TS member ‘fusz’ uses his DPA4061s to go directly into the Microtrack by attaching this dongle:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-MICROTRACK-MIC
and using Microtrack’s built-in 4.5 volts to power the DPAs. This setup really looks ideal for max stealth and easy setup.
Questions: A) If DPAs normally come with the microdot end connectors, how do they connect to this dongle, which appears to have 1/8 or 1/4inch inputs? B) With this setup, I assume I would have to use the analogue line in, and couldn’t use S/PDIF to get digital?  C) Do you think the recording quality would be lower if I use this setup instead of a preamp?     

5)   Finally, related to the questions above: is it recommended to buy a pre-amp to go with the DPAs & Microtrack? If I used the ‘dongle’ setup, it appears I’d bypass the need for a pre-amp (but at a cost of no S/PDIF ability and maybe lower quality). However, if I did decide to buy a DPA preamp (the MMA6000 or MPS6030), it appears they do NOT have the ability to monitor recording levels. They can boost the levels with gain, but cannot seem to monitor them. If so, how could you record S/PDIF digital in using a 4061>MMA6000>MT setup if neither the Microtrack nor the MMA6000 can measure levels while recording?

Final observation: I’d really like to do my monitoring of levels all on the recording device. So, if indeed you cannot accurately measure recording levels while going S/PDIF in, and thus require a preamp WITH level monitoring ability to do this, the Microtrack does not seem any better than the all-analogue R-09.

Thank you so much in advance for reading this and answering the questions. Very much appreciate it. And apologies again for the newbie questions.

Ryan
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 07:49:27 AM by thirdeye99 »
DPA 4061s > Zoom F3

Offline dmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • dance spaceghost dance!
    • ToriTraders
Re: New to Taping - Microtrack and DPA Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 11:49:49 AM »
it sounds like you're going to be stealthing most of the time, so here's my two cents.

#1:  If you're not going to get a preamp, you will want to get the DPA's terminated in a 1/8" plug.  (if you look on ebay you can find these often enough, someone here might be selling them, who knows).   Personally, I wouldn't do that, but if you're looking to spend less money it's a good enough alternative since the Microtrack will power the mics if necessary.  (I just don't trust it's ability to handle loud sounds as much as a real preamp).   

#2:  Don't bother recording digitally on the microtrack while stealthing.  There's honestly not much of a point, the interface isn't that great yet and may never be.   However, the only thing you need to know while setting levels with the microtrack is "red lights are bad, green lights are good" since you can't sit and monitor your levels while stealthing anyway.   Because you're doing 24-bit (presumably) the additional resolution makes low volume recordings not that bad.  (at least more than overmodulated ones).   Set your levels low, hope for the best.   If you see solid green lights, you're getting a good signal.  If you see blinking red lights, you need to notch it down, and if you see solid red lights, you're pretty much toast.  The meters are pretty crappy on the thing in general so I wouldn't rely on them too much, analog or digital.   

you can do 24/48 and 24/96 analog.  I've never tried digital.  (I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, and my preamp is analog anyway and yours will be too). 

your recording quality will be lower if you don't use a preamp (and I think the MMA6000 is pretty freakin sweet all things considered), your ability to not distort when you get loud sounds is diminished (slightly, it's probably not a real big issue I guess) and there will be different sound characteristics.  Plus, the amplification on the microtrack itself may be sketchy.   Personally I use the MMA6000 to adjust volume and leave the MT parked as close to the bottom of its levels as I can and I haven't had any issues so far. 

as for R-9 or microtrack...    it's up to you.  I have the MT and I don't necessarily love it but it works most of the time and it's not crap.   I don't really like the SD cards for the R-9 over CompactFlash for the MT, but MT has the stupid 2GB limit and the R-9 doesn't, plus it has removeable batteries...   so I guess maybe the R-9 is better except for the lack of recording at 96k.   (which most people, myself included, don't do). 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com