Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: please help a newb, just looking to patch in  (Read 1659 times)

Offline therivler1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
please help a newb, just looking to patch in
« on: January 05, 2007, 11:23:32 AM »
Hello all!

I am brand new here, and I was hoping that I could get some help.

I would like to start taping by patching in to others' rigs.  I go to jamband shows, so I doubt I would have trouble finding a setup.

My question is, what do I buy?  From what I have read, to patch in, I need a recorder and cables?  I am looking to spend < 200 is possible.

Thanks!

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: please help a newb, just looking to patch in
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:32:36 AM »
in that price range thare aren't a ton of options.

you could get a mini disc recorder, or a used creative JB3 (I just happen to have one fore sale  ;D ).

Many tapers offer coaxial outputs to patchers. If you went the jb3 route it only accepts analog or optical inputs so you'll most likely want to get a coaxial cable, a coax to optical converter, and an optical cable. IMO digital patches are preferred to analog, but if you wanted the ability to take analog patches you'll need some analog cables. Probably an RCA to 1/8 stereo cable, and an XLR to 1/8 stereo cable would cover many situations. The analog cables would allow you to patch out of a SBD too if you wanted.

+T for wanting to patch. Thats how many tapers get started.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 01:31:01 PM »
Hello all!

I am brand new here, and I was hoping that I could get some help.

I would like to start taping by patching in to others' rigs.  I go to jamband shows, so I doubt I would have trouble finding a setup.

My question is, what do I buy?  From what I have read, to patch in, I need a recorder and cables?  I am looking to spend < 200 is possible.

Thanks!

There is a Juke box for sale for $75 in the yardsale section check it out.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 05:43:46 PM »
but if you wanted the ability to take analog patches you'll need some analog cables. Probably an RCA to 1/8 stereo cable, and an XLR to 1/8 stereo cable would cover many situations. The analog cables would allow you to patch out of a SBD too if you wanted.

in the price range that you are looking at, it's likely that you'll end up with a 16 bit recorder.  in that case, you want to be sure that you have the cables to take an analog patch as well as a digital patch.  as more and more people are recording at 24 bit, with a 16-bit recorder, you may be unable to take a digital patch.  so unless you have the right analog cables, you'd be out of luck.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com