Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need a good pre for my MG 300s  (Read 1895 times)

Offline mick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
need a good pre for my MG 300s
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:37:47 PM »

hey folks.
I have been running a zefiro inbox as my pre/a/d converter for a long time. I think I want to step up to a pre that sounds nice with the gefell sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mick

peace through music
MG300s>PS2>AD20>DAT

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: need a good pre for my MG 300s
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 06:11:42 PM »
I think a Lunatec V3 (or V2) sounds fantastic behind a pair of Gefells.  I know a lot of people also like a pre-amp with transformers behind gefells.  something like an Aerco MP2, Oade m148, PSP-2, or Neve Portico 5012.  All of the pre-amps I've mentioned would sound great with the gefells.  Ultimately, it will come down to what you prefer.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »
What do you plan to use for an ADC?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:20:42 PM »
They sound good with a variety of preamps.  I really like tapes made with the Oade M248 and Gefells.  I run an E.A.A. PSP-2 and I like that a lot, but they can be hard to find.  If you don't have an external A/D yet, I ran M210 > Apogee MiniMe for years and really enjoyed the combination a lot.  The A/D in the Apogee is second to none and the preamps are pretty good as well.

I ran M210 > Stewart BPS-1 (battery boxes) > Denecke AD-20 (Zefiro Inbox) for a while and definitely noticed a difference when I upgraded.  The AD-20 / Inbox overloads at high SPLs and sounds quite thin when compared to other units.  It is a transparent unit, but the preamp in it is not exactly the best.

Edit: Actually, I see that you use a DAT deck from your signature line.  One thing you may want to consider is getting an Apogee Mini MP or a Lunatec V2 and also upgrading to a solid-state recorder that can do 24 bit like the Edirol R-09HR or the Sony PCM-D50.  This would allow you to capture recordings in 24 bit and give you the benefits of an external preamp.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:27:03 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline mick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »

thanks for the input and suggestions.
the v2 or 3 does sound nice, as well as the oade m148 preamp which I have used with the gefells.dont know much about the minime, time to do some research.

I do have an sbm1 for a/d conv. as of now, but will eventually upgrade to ?

keep the input coming, it is appreciated...

mick :D

peace through music
MG300s>PS2>AD20>DAT

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com