Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Current (Dec 2012) 'List' of available recording devices for live concert taping  (Read 7779 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
To be fair I think all devices should be listed and line itemed out in an excel worksheet or google doc (kinda like consumer reports) as the number of manufacturer's and devices is quite extensive and probably should include some gear no longer made as place holders/base lines or for reference purposes

I would include everything I could think of (Aaton Cantar down to chinese garbage such as the Alesis palmtrack) - below order is simply to give an idea

Aaton Cantar
Nagra VI 60th Anniversary Edition
Sonosax SX62R
Aeta 4Minx
Sonosax SX-R4
Zoom
Alesis Palmtrack/Chinese Garbage

It's important to point out a recorders strong points and weak points.

Tascam hs-p82

Strong:
8 x AES w/ optional re-sampling
Timecode
Wordclock
8 x preamps (high quality)
Touchscreen Color LCD (very easy to use)

Weak:
Poor battery life
Size
Weight

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
What about Sound Devices? Korg? Edirol? Those are some big omissions

i'm fine to add them, just give me a specific model / brand name number!
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
To be fair I think all devices should be listed and line itemed out in an excel worksheet or google doc (kinda like consumer reports) as the number of manufacturer's and devices is quite extensive and probably should include some gear no longer made as place holders/base lines or for reference purposes

I would include everything I could think of (Aaton Cantar down to chinese garbage such as the Alesis palmtrack) - below order is simply to give an idea

Aaton Cantar
Nagra VI 60th Anniversary Edition
Sonosax SX62R
Aeta 4Minx
Sonosax SX-R4
Zoom
Alesis Palmtrack/Chinese Garbage

It's important to point out a recorders strong points and weak points.

Tascam hs-p82

Strong:
8 x AES w/ optional re-sampling
Timecode
Wordclock
8 x preamps (high quality)
Touchscreen Color LCD (very easy to use)

Weak:
Poor battery life
Size
Weight

to be honest, all of the hardware you quoted was all 'too much' for what I was looking for (for at least the purposes of this post). all those high end hardware are way above what I was looking for. I wanted just the lower end / $100-$200 decks that appear to be listed so far. but I do like your list of the higher end ones. make one and i'll copy / paste it in my post as the 'higher end' gear section.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com