Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Would This Setup Work?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline mondraryfields

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Would This Setup Work?
« on: July 06, 2004, 12:52:45 PM »
Hello,

I'm currently running DPA 4061's > Sound Professionals BB/Bass Roll-off > Minidisc.  I was thinking of getting the Denecke PS-2 to go phantom, but I still want the bass roll-off feature of the aforementioned Sound Professionals device.  Would it work to go Mic > Bass Roll-Off > PS-2 > Minidisc?  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Chris
DPA 4061 > MMA6000 > Nomad JB3
http://home.mn.rr.com/livemusictrading/

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Would This Setup Work?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 01:21:39 PM »
Don't think so.  And to use the 4061's with the PS2 you'd need the DPA microdot>xlr adaptor (DAD6001).  There's really no point of going with the PS2 since the 4061's don't gain any performance by going from a "battery box" type power supply to a 48v phantom supply using the DAD6001 adaptor.  You would gain performance if you ditched the Sound Pro battery box and replaced it with a nicer preamp that had 48v phantom and bass roll-off (MP-2, maybe?).  You may want to look at the DPA power supply & preamp - MMA6000.  I think Moke is testing one out soon - see this thread:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21697.30

Also, what is your motivation to want to try the PS2?  What don't you like about your current setup?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 01:47:41 PM by Craig T »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline mondraryfields

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 01:43:11 PM »
Thanks for responding.  I do like my current setup - I'm just looking to take it to the next level.  I realize that I should go dat or portable hard drive, but that's another topic.    I'm just looking to make the next upgrade with my mics(if there is one).   I recently came across a Radiohead recording that I was really impressed with that was done:  AT831 > SPSB-1 > Denecke AD-20 > Sony TCD-D8.  That gave me the idea for the phantom power addition.  Most of what I tape is stealth-required, so size of the phantom power is crucial.   Any other suggestions?

Chris

thierryhenry

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 02:00:09 PM »
Thanks for responding.  I do like my current setup - I'm just looking to take it to the next level.  I realize that I should go dat or portable hard drive, but that's another topic.    I'm just looking to make the next upgrade with my mics(if there is one).   I recently came across a Radiohead recording that I was really impressed with that was done:  AT831 > SPSB-1 > Denecke AD-20 > Sony TCD-D8.  That gave me the idea for the phantom power addition.  Most of what I tape is stealth-required, so size of the phantom power is crucial.   Any other suggestions?

Chris

What Radiohead recording would that be? I have a feeling I know which one you are talking about....a 2003 tour one?

Offline mondraryfields

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 03:11:02 PM »
No, the recording is from 4/23/04 Sydney Entertainment Centre - Sydney, Australia.  It's by no means the best recording of the tour, but given the mics, it's quite impressive. 

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 03:26:55 PM »

Chris

1]  there is no 48V phantom power in that lineage
2]  how are you using the SP battery box with the DPAs?  What modifications did you have to make?  Does the bass roll-off work?  Have you tested it?
3]  Who recommended using the SP battery box with the DPAs?

thanx, these are all very important questions which could save me $$$

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 03:33:37 PM »
I recently came across a Radiohead recording that I was really impressed with that was done:  AT831 > SPSB-1 > Denecke AD-20 > Sony TCD-D8.  That gave me the idea for the phantom power addition. 

I think you're confusing the Deneke ad-20 preamp & a/d converter with the Deneke ps-2 phantom power supply.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline mondraryfields

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 04:00:35 PM »
Craig T:
You're right, I was confusing the PS-2 with the AD-20.  Anything beyond a simple battery box is new to me so this is all a little confusing yet. 

Schwillaby:
I didn't have to make any modifications.  The DPA's have a 1/8" plug that goes into the SP battery box.  I've only used to tape two bands so far, but it sounds nice.  I guess I don't know for sure if they bass roll-off aspect is working, but as a battery box it is working.  I would assume the bass roll-off part is working though.  Also, no one recommended this setup.  I just bought the DPA's used and wanted to run a battery box/bass roll-off but didn't want to pay to have the cable modified into a mini-xlr to fit the core sound battery box so I experimented with a friends sound prof. battery box and it works just fine. 

Chris

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 04:06:22 PM »
Craig T:
You're right, I was confusing the PS-2 with the AD-20.  Anything beyond a simple battery box is new to me so this is all a little confusing yet. 

Schwillaby:
I didn't have to make any modifications.  The DPA's have a 1/8" plug that goes into the SP battery box.  I've only used to tape two bands so far, but it sounds nice.  I guess I don't know for sure if they bass roll-off aspect is working, but as a battery box it is working.  I would assume the bass roll-off part is working though.  Also, no one recommended this setup.  I just bought the DPA's used and wanted to run a battery box/bass roll-off but didn't want to pay to have the cable modified into a mini-xlr to fit the core sound battery box so I experimented with a friends sound prof. battery box and it works just fine. 

Chris

hmm, I'll have to run a comp or 2

What model battery box do you have?  I have an older SP-SPSB-1

Thanx for the info

Offline mondraryfields

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 04:17:57 PM »
I'm running the SP-SPSB-6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.197 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com