Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Great video on soldering XLR's to mic cables  (Read 6215 times)

Offline sanaka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
Great video on soldering XLR's to mic cables
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:26:21 AM »
Video - Check it!

I just built four star quad cables (L-4E5C) the other night, and the excruciating tedium got me thinking I must be doing something (or everything) the hard way. So I went online to see what I could find, which of course I should have done beforehand  ::) This guy has all his moves tuned and streamlined, and is using friendlier cable, but the big fat slap on my forehead thing he doesn't even mention is his stand mounted soldering iron with the solder spool on top.

Look Ma, two hands!

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Great video on soldering XLR's to mic cables
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
Cool video. I never once thought to mount my iron on a stand like that.. duh.. seems like a no brainer.. you gain the use of your other hand.. I like it ill have to rig one of my irons up like this!
Thanks for the vid.
Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 05:51:35 PM »
very nice.....

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:25:11 PM »
i can't be that easy can it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »
And I've got this giant pile of fried cables I was going to recycle.  Might actually try to repair them myself now that I've seen the tutorial.  First I gotta build a stand for my iron...  I love that thing - the dude in the video makes it look so darn easy. 
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 02:10:34 PM »
That stand does look nice.  When I'm building cables I just clamp the iron in a vise.  The iron is held horizontally rather than vertically, but it works about the same.  By using a vise I don't have to build a stand or have the stand taking up bench space, and it's easy to remove the iron for other soldering tasks.

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 03:27:15 PM »
That stand does look nice.  When I'm building cables I just clamp the iron in a vise.  The iron is held horizontally rather than vertically, but it works about the same.  By using a vise I don't have to build a stand or have the stand taking up bench space, and it's easy to remove the iron for other soldering tasks.

No way man, you're lame if you don't have a dedicated stand welded up from 3/4" aluminum plate like the one in the video!

Just kidding, of course ;D I think the one in the vid is serious overkill. Vise is excellent. Next time I have cables to make I may do a plywood stand I can stash away somewhere.

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »
He's not too shabby, but instead of mounting the iron and moving the item to it, I prefer to use a panavise to hold the cable/connector in place while I manipulate the iron with my hands.  Helps for some of the trickier types of cables that I sometimes make...

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline huskerdu

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »
He's not too shabby, but instead of mounting the iron and moving the item to it, I prefer to use a panavise to hold the cable/connector in place while I manipulate the iron with my hands.  Helps for some of the trickier types of cables that I sometimes make...

Much better. I do high reliability soldering for spaceflight applications, and we'd never have the items we're soldering in motion. The idea is to have the cup and the wire stable when soldering. A solder joint that looks fine externally can be fractured internally.
"The main difference between a singer/songwriter and a puppy is that eventually a puppy will quit whining." - Jason Ringenberg

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
Much better. I do high reliability soldering for spaceflight applications, and we'd never have the items we're soldering in motion. The idea is to have the cup and the wire stable when soldering. A solder joint that looks fine externally can be fractured internally.

Well, the cable asylum crowd notwithstanding, audio cabling doesn't need what aerospace grade solder joints might need. The advantage of the stand mounted iron is that the two pieces to be joined are one in each hand, so that their positions are the most easily manipulated during soldering. I find angling the iron to and fro around a stationary workpiece awkward. Maybe I'll change my mind after trying a stand, but it sure looks good to me in the video.

Peace,
Sanaka
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:44:18 AM by sanaka »

Offline theslygoose

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Small biz. that custom makes pro audio cables
    • Sly Goose Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »
I find angling the iron to and fro around a stationary workpiece awkward. Maybe I'll change my mind after trying a stand, but it sure looks good to me in the video.
Does seem efficient for XLR but it would limit you with trickier cables like 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4", etc.  You could definitely pump out a serious amount of XLR with that though.  Interesting idea and would be fantastic if you could unclip (or unhook, etc.) the iron and the use it free-hand really easily.
Custom Pro Audio Cables
-Keeping it personal-
http://www.slygoosecables.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com