Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4-pin female xlr cables(issue resolved)  (Read 4605 times)

Offline augwest71

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • mbho603a>V3>722
4-pin female xlr cables(issue resolved)
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:52:53 PM »
hello i was wondering if anyone had these 4 pin xlrs, where the wires that came out of it were just positive and negative(only 2 wires).  i would be willing to purchase a few of these..

or if someone knew which of the 4 pins was positive and negative so i could make them..

tried an internet search and got nowhere..

thanks for any help!!
david

switched batteries all together
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:40:36 AM by augwest71 »
Do you have a tapers ticket sir????

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 4-pin female xlr cables
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:49:14 AM »
What devices will the cables connect?  This may help people offer appropriate feedback.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline augwest71

• Taperssection Regular
  • mbho603a>V3>722
Re: 4-pin female xlr end with positive and negative wires changed!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:14:27 PM »
connecting a battery to my v3.  trying to find out of the 4 pins which are positive an which are negative.

really need the female end with a positive and a negative wire coming out rather than cables actually

found a battery on the internet that is the same as the 1  i already own.  so if i can get the 4-pin xlr connectors i can make my own batteries for nothing. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:17:58 PM by augwest71 »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:48:13 AM »
What battery are you using or do you plan to use?

Four-pin XLR female connectors are typically sold bare, then one solders the wires to the connector as suitable for the application.

If you plan to use your old battery, or replace it with the same setup, you should check the existing male XLR coming from the battery to determine which pins are (+) and (-), solder the female pins accordingly, and finally solder the V3 connector correctly.

Seems like 4-pin XLRs were used mainly for SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries going back many years.  There are powerful, lighter weight options available now.  For example, many people are powering their V3s (and other devices) using li-ion batteries marketed for portable DVD players.  They're sometimes referred to here as "Walmart" or "Wally" batteries, since many people originally purchased them from Walmart. 

One example of this type of battery:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultralast-Lithium-Ion-Universal-Portable-DVD-Player-Replacement-Battery/9863775

And they can be had on eBay or under other branding for less than half the price in the link above.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
connecting a battery to my v3.  trying to find out of the 4 pins which are positive an which are negative.

really need the female end with a positive and a negative wire coming out rather than cables actually

found a battery on the internet that is the same as the 1  i already own.  so if i can get the 4-pin xlr connectors i can make my own batteries for nothing.

Standard convention with 4 pin xlr's for power is to use (pin 1 for neg -) and (pin 4 for pos +) the other 2 pins are unused.  They were/are commonly used on pro gear for external power via 12V DC power supplies or batteries. 

You better check the v3's manual or contact the manufacturer to be sure have the correct voltage and polarity.  Fuse protection is recommended on the output of the battery too.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline augwest71

• Taperssection Regular
  • mbho603a>V3>722
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 10:06:57 PM »

Standard convention with 4 pin xlr's for power is to use (pin 1 for neg -) and (pin 4 for pos +) the other 2 pins are unused.  They were/are commonly used on pro gear for external power via 12V DC power supplies or batteries. 

You better check the v3's manual or contact the manufacturer to be sure have the correct voltage and polarity.  Fuse protection is recommended on the output of the battery too.
thanks for the info kind sir.  i have a 3 amp fuse for the positive, all i need is the female xlr and i should have less than 30 in it..

it is a rhino battery, it is not too heavy and it will power the v3 for 5 plus hrs and i already have some chargers and what not.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:18:48 PM »
Lunatec V3 Owner’s manual addendum 2

V3 Battery Cable Considerations
There are several battery systems available on the market for the Lunatec V3. Recently a few batteries have been introduced which have caused some confusion with connectivity. The ECO-CHARGE EC-90 series battery systems provide both a 12V output and either a regulated 7.5V or a 6V output via 4 pin XLR connector. When connecting the V3 to the 12V output, the cable should be the standard pin 4 hot (+12V) and pin 1 ground. If you are connecting the V3 to either a 7.5V or a 6V output, a different 4-pin XLR wiring is required. For this connection, pin 3 is hot (+7.5V or +6V), pin 1 is ground and pins 2 and 4 need to be tied together using a jumper wire within the connector. Using a cable without this jumper for the regulated output will not work, as this battery output will be shutoff.

I would high suggest you call Neal, the Service Tech, from Grace Design.  He is a super nice guy and very willing to help with anything.

Here is his profile of TS: http://taperssection.com/index.php?action=profile;u=21631

Neal Thompson 303.443.7454 x105
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com