Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shazam - i bet no one knows the answer to this one  (Read 1776 times)

Offline bewildered

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Shazam - i bet no one knows the answer to this one
« on: November 15, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »
Im looking to connect my IEMs directly to my recording soundcard the audiophile 192, but it doesnt have a preamp built into it, so if i plugged in a pair of computer speakers nothing would happen. Is the required signal strength requirement on IEM's small enough that i can just plug in 1/8" to the Y-cable mono's on the soundcard?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Shazam - i bet no one knows the answer to this one
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 04:30:48 PM »
IME, different DACs and soundcards have different output levels (for example my Waveterminal 2496 provides a strong enough signal to power my headphones directly, while my Audiophile 2496 doesn't).  Try it and see if it works.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Shazam - i bet no one knows the answer to this one
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:15:23 PM »
Im looking to connect my IEMs directly to my recording soundcard the audiophile 192, but it doesnt have a preamp built into it, so if i plugged in a pair of computer speakers nothing would happen. Is the required signal strength requirement on IEM's small enough that i can just plug in 1/8" to the Y-cable mono's on the soundcard?

The output level of the 192 ( That's what I have ) is max 0db at 10k so I would say that the level will be very weak through a set of headphones you can however use a headphone amp you can buy one for around $50-$150 and it will work great. So I would say yes it will work but it will be a very low output. And I would never place a bet on here, that No one could answer this question, you will more then likely lose your shirt :) There are allot of very smart people here, and Its pretty hard to stump this group when it comes to all things audio.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com