Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: venue thread?  (Read 2488 times)

Offline razorboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
venue thread?
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:54:41 AM »
hi all,

first post here... this isn't a technical question, but i was wondering if there was a thread or database somewhere that offered information on venues in regards to security, policies, sweet spots, past experiences, etc. i'm going to be taping next month, and i'm torn between a milwaukee show at the pabst theater or a chicago show, which may be at a brand-new venue (lincoln hall).

i would assume a brand-new venue (show in question would be the first one there ever) would be more of a challenge security-wise, and sound would be a bit of a wild card. with that in mind, how is the pabst in milwaukee?

thanks for your help,
john

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: venue thread?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline razorboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »
sorry - welcome to the idiot newbie

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:00:14 AM »
Venue thread is further down on the page.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,69709.0.html

Pabst just has ticket takers and very limited security.  Just a matter of securing a nice seat and pulling a good tape from the floor of the theater.  It's one of my favorite venues to see a concert.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline razorboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:15:01 AM »
cool... thanks. the show i'm looking at (hope sandoval) is listed as "lower level", so i assume that means just the floor will be open? and it is listed as GA, which is unusal for a seated venue... any insight there?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:52:49 AM »
cool... thanks. the show i'm looking at (hope sandoval) is listed as "lower level", so i assume that means just the floor will be open? and it is listed as GA, which is unusal for a seated venue... any insight there?

I would repost in the venue thread with the name of the venue in title - actually, more specifically, see if there is an existing relatively new thread and post there.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that discussion of "stealth" recording methods - including such things as security procedures like patdowns, can be a sensitive subject on here.  If you want that type of information, it's best to invite people to send you a PM (private message) or email in your post. 

Things like the general attitude of security (i.e., are they ball busting about everything) and whether or not they will, say, give you a hard time about setting up an open taping setup like a mic stand is of course fine.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »

That'll mean the balcony will not be open.  Pabst won't pull seats out, at least I don't think they do.  Get there when doors open and stake out your seat, center, halfway back on the floor.

The nice thing about a GA show is you may be able to move if you get some chatty neighbors.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline razorboy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »
understood - thanks again guys.

Offline robotaper

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Coming back!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
I've taped at the Pabst from the 6th row DFC.  Anywhere from that approximate location back 5 or 6 rows should sound pretty nice.  Hope your tapes turned out good.
On the Live Music Archive:  http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Rob+O%27Brien%22

Stuff:
Rig:  KA200n + KA500HN >MBHO 603a > Sound Devices Mix Pre-6 MKII

Offline cottle

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:56:50 AM »

Isn't this the girl from Mazzy Star?  I had no idea she was still making music/touring.  I sure hope she comes to NC.  One of the most intriguing artists of the early/mid 90's, IMO.

Offline cottle

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »
^Nevermind, looks like ATL is the best I could hope for.  Don't think I have the time/money for a trip to ATL in October. :(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com