Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First time DPA 4061  (Read 237 times)

Online Pieteker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
First time DPA 4061
« on: Yesterday at 08:21:44 AM »
Hi,

My long-term goal is to purchase a pair of DPA 4061s to record moderately loud rock shows.
I want to buy them second hand, but am somewhat confused.
If I find 2 4061 mics with microdot connections how do I create a stereo pair of those mics and power them to be able to record with them using a Roland R-05?

I really could use your help to think this one out.

Thanks,
Pieter

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: First time DPA 4061
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:36:05 AM »
The easiest way is to get a 2 x female microdot to 3.5 mm jack Y-cable made. There are also a number of DPA accessories that'll do the job, but you will have to find them used or new, old stock as they are no longer in production. These include the MMA-6000 pre-amp, the MMA-A digital interface, and the MPS-6030 battery box (there are other variants of the battery box, but the 6030 has a 3.5 mm jack). There may also be some options from small makers, such as Church, that have made microdot pre-amps and battery boxes. You could also get two of the phantom adapters, but that will require a P48 power supply, pre-amp, or recorder.

Online Pieteker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:01:27 AM »
The easiest way is to get a 2 x female microdot to 3.5 mm jack Y-cable made. There are also a number of DPA accessories that'll do the job, but you will have to find them used or new, old stock as they are no longer in production. These include the MMA-6000 pre-amp, the MMA-A digital interface, and the MPS-6030 battery box (there are other variants of the battery box, but the 6030 has a 3.5 mm jack). There may also be some options from small makers, such as Church, that have made microdot pre-amps and battery boxes. You could also get two of the phantom adapters, but that will require a P48 power supply, pre-amp, or recorder.

So, could I basically buy 2 of these?
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/296362766290?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=1346-175129-2357-0&ssspo=T_xLL9iER-K&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=jv6M-rLjR3i&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:18:27 AM »
Those would be way more expensive to adapt, the lemo connectors are more specifc for wireless transmitters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355667770411?itmmeta=01HWT4RRFRZKW7PWVY9TN8719E&hash=item52cf737c2b:g:tFQAAOSw6hdkCZDS&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0K7NsI8EQHKbqrQNAdQc1ynDudHCs56hnyJaC81B72%2FOYlpHOxoFTVkwKHytg5gNXmgo%2FktcDLS3h1nW5Pgauw75xUCFBeHoAgbySocO%2F8oiv0Z8mYVUwNTHqnEU2wURHkhWTvF%2BZlMIOw8P%2FacMy5GECJOovH7%2BRrYP0w8oC6c9xnLyu5RACXzu9iStWloDF5buHSlwCc2i%2FrSIjzonDm%2BZqsKlkErAow7tZQpCdzz83YieaX0IEVCpULKy3%2FHN82281DkKeXKKBNdwfewrsG4%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_qH48TmYw

The roland only provides 2.5v power tho, so you'll need a battery box, or buy the dpa4063s instead.

So, could I basically buy 2 of these?
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/296362766290?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=1346-175129-2357-0&ssspo=T_xLL9iER-K&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=jv6M-rLjR3i&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:18:46 AM »
Ha, ha! Good thing I can understand Nederlands reasonably well! Personally, I would be very hesitant to buy those. The mics used in shows aren't usually in great condition (although I know people that have had good luck with them). Additionally, you will then either have to cut off the lemo connectors and solder in a 3.5 mm jack or else get adapters for the lemos. Also, their lemo connection is kind of weird (doubled back on itself) and bulky.

I know they aren't cheap, but, personally, I would either bite the bullet and buy new or find some lightly used ones in the Yardsale here (they pop up fairly frequently; an ISO might turn up a pair collecting dust). Buy once, cry once as they say...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:40:09 AM »
Use the female microdot "Y" cable that grawk posted a link to, or the equivalent from elsewhere to adapt a pair of standard micro-dot terminated 4061 to stereo mini plug. That avoids the need to cut off the standard micro-dot connections (or lemo connectors) and re-terminate the microphone cables, which is somewhat tricky because the center conductor is very thin and difficult to solder.  It also makes it easy to swap the two microphones back and forth or exchange them for others which can be beneficial when troubleshooting, and makes it easy to switch to using phantom power adapters into XLR input equipped recorders if you choose to do that at some point.

You will want to use a battery box which provides somewhere between 6 and 10V to power them correctly.  The DPA 4063 version grawk mentions is less common, but can be powered correctly with as little as 3V, which may eliminate the need for a battery box in some setups.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online Pieteker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:45:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Offline AbbyTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 03:51:03 PM »
Nice mics, Pieter.  I hope it works out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com