Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recs on Analog Tape Decks ???  (Read 2354 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Recs on Analog Tape Decks ???
« on: October 28, 2004, 07:03:38 PM »
Looking to get some recomendations on Analog tape decks for transferring old cassette masters to HDD. I guess azimuth & bias adjusments would be nice. Any suggestions. Love to get some feedback
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Recs on Analog Tape Decks ???
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 07:11:15 PM »
Looking to get some recomendations on Analog tape decks for transferring old cassette masters to HDD. I guess azimuth & bias adjusments would be nice. Any suggestions. Love to get some feedback

Nakamichi CR-7A features manual playback azimuth and bias controls.  these decks are still pricy in the used market, though.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 07:29:25 PM »
I've got a Nakamichi BX-1 that I don't use any more.
It's not in the same league as the CR-7A though.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 07:38:09 PM »
yeah i am going to need some thing for this too so any thing you guys can say will help

Raphael

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 07:50:11 PM »
It's pretty easy to pop the door off of ANY cassette deck...get in there with a small screwdriver...and make the azimuth adjustment by hand...it's a cinch...and essential when doing cassette transfers...

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 04:16:14 AM »
If you are forced to do this on a less than stellar machine..... 

Keep in mind that heads can be aligned (azimuth) with a small screwdriver. Ideally you'll do this on every tape anyway to get as much HF energy out as possible. You don't need record bias on playback.

IMHO the issues will be mechanical quality of machine and tape path, build of pb head (width of the air gap f.ex affects high frequency pickup), playback electronics. And pb level adjustment if you must involve the Dolby decoder to get what you want...

I think you'd get good results on some of the better units from Denon, Sony and Tascam (units I know. I am sure there are others are in the same league).   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 04:27:26 AM by jk labs »

marc0789

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 11:02:08 AM »

carefully shop on ebay for a bx-1 that has had the gear upgrade, and will take some serious hours. pretty damn cheap nowadays. also loved the lx-2. you'll still spend a lot of money on a crx7 or dragon, it's probably a little bit of overkill for your purpose.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 11:16:30 AM »
i have a nak dr-1. i bought it new some ten years ago (i have no idea what it runs used). it still runs very well (but there are low hours on the thing, and i have maintained the unit thoroughly since purchase). the deck has all the tuning capabilities you would need (and you won't have to use a screwdriver)...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 05:21:44 PM »

carefully shop on ebay for a bx-1 that has had the gear upgrade, and will take some serious hours. pretty damn cheap nowadays. also loved the lx-2. you'll still spend a lot of money on a crx7 or dragon, it's probably a little bit of overkill for your purpose.

I've got a BX-1 I'd be willing to sell.
It has the "new' idler wheel on it.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com