Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 question  (Read 2956 times)

Offline poppag76

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
UA-5 question
« on: November 14, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »
Here's a noob question for ya:
I've been searching on here for an explaination and even the UA-5 FAQ doesn't give a good one.
Someone tell me what the w+, p+, and t+ mods do to the mic pre on the UA-5.
Thanks
Berliner CM33->USBPre2->HD-P2(busman modded)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: UA-5 question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 08:24:10 PM »
The team ua-5 board is a great source of knowledge.  The explanations on the different mods are there, especially helpful now that doug is not the only one doing mods(and he only works on ones' that he sold)

good luck and hope this helps!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 08:24:28 PM »
they give it better sound all in all

i asked this basic question before and got this from the reply - not sure i understood it right or not (so don't quote me on this and please correct me if you know i am wrong) but here goes
warm adds warmth to the sound, which i can hear but can't really explain
transparent is more of what you hear is what you get
p i am not sure about at all
the + i think has to do with the rca outs or capacitors inside

again just passing along what/how i understood the answer i got at the time, i may be totally off in my understanding

edit--i have the bm2 mod and like it, i also haver heard nothing but good about it--so if you were to end up with a stock ua5 i would recommend getting it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

stirinthesauce

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:27:06 PM »
p mod has to do with the phantom power, I believe lowering the noise to the mics.  But for more definitive answer, read Busman2's post on the team board and he gives a detailed explanation of his mod he offers.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 09:05:15 PM »
check out oade's site as well - believe he gives a little description about each mod, and there's samples so you can listen- i'm sure its been covered extensively in his forum as well - and if you have any other specific questions that aren't addressed you can always ask the man himself.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline poppag76

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 10:48:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I appreciate it.
Berliner CM33->USBPre2->HD-P2(busman modded)

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member

Offline modmike

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 05:48:19 PM »
p mod has to do with the phantom power, I believe lowering the noise to the mics.  But for more definitive answer, read Busman2's post on the team board and he gives a detailed explanation of his mod he offers.

From the Oades --

The P-Mod or Presence Mod "gives the UA5 a more "up front" sound, with better presence and high frequency detail."

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 05:54:11 PM »
Note that there are several folks (well, I know of 3 anyway) that do these mods. They each have their own prefix/codes with different meanings. Read the link above for details on the Oade mods. Check out the "Team UA-5" thread for Busman mods and what they mean.  The "P" is for phantom on the busman, but not for Oade, as you can see from the post above.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 10:11:56 PM »

From the Oades --

The P-Mod or Presence Mod "gives the UA5 a more "up front" sound, with better presence and high frequency detail."

Sorry for the lack of clarification on my part.  I was referring to the Busman mod per his explanation on page 9 of the team ua-5 thread.  Thanks for bringing that to light as it can be confusing with the different mods being offered and what the different prefixes mean for the different mods offered by different individuals.  +t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com