Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR connection; Y adapters for pmd660 ?  (Read 2489 times)

Offline shukenja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
XLR connection; Y adapters for pmd660 ?
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:00:27 AM »
Hello All,

Im trying to find out whats the best solution to connect either an AKG c900 or Rode NT1A into pmd 660.

I now theres a variety of adapters, but is simple Y adapter connection mic cable with L/R pmd inputs is enough ? I know its not going to be a stereo sound...

AN issues with phantom power usign thos Y-connectors ?

thx in advance.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message.
... -> 2 x studio projects c1->pmd 600 -> ...

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: XLR connection; Y adapters for pmd660 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 11:08:54 AM »
I wouldn't mess with the y adapter and yes I think the phantom may be an issue (either damage the mic or the phantom... but unsure on this).  If I remember right, there is a mono option in the recording menu of the 660, and if not many devices will automatically switch to mono if you just plug into the left.  If neither of those thoughts turn out to be accurate, just record on one side as a stereo wav and then convert it after you d/l it to your computer.  It is a super easy fix to convert to mono.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline shukenja

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:52:10 AM »
ok, thanks for that.

but
im still unsure about those channels - if i will record only on one channel, i will get mono signal on (say)  left side and thats it.
and what i want to achieve is a signal on both channels. usign mics which i know have those single-ended xlr's.

getting two mics is not an option either.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:57:10 AM »
ok, thanks for that.

but
im still unsure about those channels - if i will record only on one channel, i will get mono signal on (say)  left side and thats it.
and what i want to achieve is a signal on both channels. usign mics which i know have those single-ended xlr's.

getting two mics is not an option either.

stereo is basically 2 mono tracks.  If you record stereo to only one track, then during playback you will have sound on one side of the stereo, and nothing on the other.  After you d/l you can convert the 1/2 stereo track to a full mono track so it will play on both speakers.  It is simple and there are free programs that will do it.  Just make the recording and check back and we can help you convert... there may even be an option in your cd burning software to "convert to mono" on the burn if that wat the recording is destined for.  If you wish to distribute as a file then you should do the conversion for sure.
    What are you recording?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline shukenja

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 12:02:26 PM »
thanks again.
im just about to record a bit of ambiance for a start, i have few ideas but first, i need to buy a microphone :)

i can understand it now that the best i can achieve is a mono signal captured through one of XLR's.

if thats the case, is connecting two mics the only way to catch stereo signal ?

and, what if i will decide to record through line in rather then xlr ? i assume the quality will be lot worse ( pmd im buying has no mods on it). ?

i mean, i thought that if Y adapter exist, its purpose would be to connect mic just as i want to do. if there are problems as youre saying, i dont really  understand why they wont do a mic with two xlr ends, maybe that sounds stupid, i dont know.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 12:16:26 PM »
thanks again.
im just about to record a bit of ambiance for a start, i have few ideas but first, i need to buy a microphone :)
If that all you are recording that is fine with the pmd660.  Without a mod however, it won't do loud concerts.

i can understand it now that the best i can achieve is a mono signal captured through one of XLR's.
yes

if thats the case, is connecting two mics the only way to catch stereo signal ?
yes.  If you mention specifically what you plan on recording myself and others here may make suggestions for you on what mics you should buy.  Unless all you ever want is dictation, I would definately buy 2 microphones or a single stereo mic.  For dictation, the internal microphones aren't really even that bad.

and, what if i will decide to record through line in rather then xlr ? i assume the quality will be lot worse ( pmd im buying has no mods on it). ?
you need a preamp to boost the mic signal.  Line in would be usefull if you were recording from a mixer or another preamp.  The pmd660 has a built-in preamp and you connect to it via the xlr's.

i mean, i thought that if Y adapter exist, its purpose would be to connect mic just as i want to do. if there are problems as youre saying, i dont really  understand why they wont do a mic with two xlr ends, maybe that sounds stupid, i dont know.

do it like I told you and you will be fine.  The only mics w/ 2 xlr's are stereo mics which are 2 mics in one body.

Matt

Offline shukenja

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »
thats a great reply, thanks. ticket as soon as im able to give them :)

anyway,

i actually should tell what i want to do first of all, so.
ive got this project going on, connecting real-life ambient stuff with electronic based interference, inspired by raster-noton label, various ambient releases and few other things.
what i want to do, is to catch few of my real-life ideas, in terms of ambiance, nature/city/people sounds. not dictation, except a single words, phrases maybe, definately no gigs, loud venues, etc. i think pmd with its options is sufficient for these tasks.

i dont realy mind the pristine quality of recording as most of them will be probably merged into bigger works, its not like im going to broi=adcast it live or whatnot. i like clear sound but i think 44.1 wav is enough.

as far as my researches went through various websites, i managed to listen to varius samples recorded, human voices mostly, and i liked the warm feeling of rode NT1A mic, alternatively AKG c900. others were disturbed with high hiss or general hum, and my knowledge isnt big enough to judge the mic quality from its data sheets available.
so i said to myself one of these two will be sufficient. but then the mono/stereo thing jumped in and i wasnt that sure of them anymore...

if theres an option of buying a stereo mic for my purposes i will strongly look into it, as i understand that stereo is an important thing in audio researches i want to do. i pressume these are mics with both xlr ends ?

i woulld appreciate any advices in mic field-lets assume i need a stereo mic, no pre-amps intended, general ambiance to record for a start.

i really need to read some books on the topic though.. :)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 01:20:42 PM »
thats a great reply, thanks. ticket as soon as im able to give them :)

anyway,

i actually should tell what i want to do first of all, so.
ive got this project going on, connecting real-life ambient stuff with electronic based interference, inspired by raster-noton label, various ambient releases and few other things.
what i want to do, is to catch few of my real-life ideas, in terms of ambiance, nature/city/people sounds. not dictation, except a single words, phrases maybe, definately no gigs, loud venues, etc. i think pmd with its options is sufficient for these tasks.

i dont realy mind the pristine quality of recording as most of them will be probably merged into bigger works, its not like im going to broi=adcast it live or whatnot. i like clear sound but i think 44.1 wav is enough.

as far as my researches went through various websites, i managed to listen to varius samples recorded, human voices mostly, and i liked the warm feeling of rode NT1A mic, alternatively AKG c900. others were disturbed with high hiss or general hum, and my knowledge isnt big enough to judge the mic quality from its data sheets available.
so i said to myself one of these two will be sufficient. but then the mono/stereo thing jumped in and i wasnt that sure of them anymore...

if theres an option of buying a stereo mic for my purposes i will strongly look into it, as i understand that stereo is an important thing in audio researches i want to do. i pressume these are mics with both xlr ends ?

i woulld appreciate any advices in mic field-lets assume i need a stereo mic, no pre-amps intended, general ambiance to record for a start.

i really need to read some books on the topic though.. :)

there is a ton of information here on ts... sounds like you need to hit the basics first to understand the rest.  the 660 should work fine for you.  For a stereo mic you may want to consider the studio projects lsd2 it is a nice mic.  If you want an idea of how that sounds you can check out the samples I have posted here http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,82777.0.html for my sp c-1's that are for sale.  I have a vocal track posted and you should get an idea of the sound of the lsd2 in cardioid because much of the internals are the same as my mics.  Or better yet, purchase my mics and then you have many more options in positioning for stereo effect.  For instance if you wanted to add the sound of a passing train you could put mics on either side of the train for the effect of the train coming straight toward you.  Sounds like a fun project!  Please read through the forum some and read through the "where to start" section.  The search function is helpful also for specific questions.  That all being said, most of us here are always happy to help.

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com