Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nagra SD discontinued -- any news on a replacement?  (Read 7597 times)

Offline spr555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Nagra SD discontinued -- any news on a replacement?
« on: March 18, 2018, 12:27:50 PM »
They must have stopped making it a while ago, as it is no longer in stock in the US.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Nagra SD discontinued -- any news on a replacement?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
They must have stopped making it a while ago, as it is no longer in stock in the US.

Given that Nagra never actually made this, but rather slapped their name on a Chinese OEM machine, how could they have stopped?

The SD was a disgrace, and I hope they've learned their lesson.

Here's the thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=159790.0;all
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:58:14 AM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

obsidian

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »

Given that Nagra never actually made this, but rather slapped their name on a Chinese OEM machine, how could they have stopped?

Just what about this was a "disgrace"? I have read a lot of wonderful reviews on this unit and it's built like a tank. So besides just your ranting, just what specifically made this a disgrace?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »

Just what about this was a "disgrace"? I have read a lot of wonderful reviews on this unit and it's built like a tank. So besides just your ranting, just what specifically made this a disgrace?

That Nagra put their badge on something they didn’t actually make.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 11:33:37 AM »

This is not true - Nagra did not do this.

Yes, the basis of the machine was an OEM unit - but there were internal differences that Nagra did - I asked the question specifically of the top man at Nagra responsible for the recording machines.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »
Are you free to share what the Nagra top-man said was changed, John?

IMO, the misstep was that Nagra was not especially open about the whole thing to begin with, and once folks realized the recorder was based on an Chinese OEM platform they never related to their consumers what non-superficial differences had been specified.  With little more than a "trust us" in response, this represented a breach of trust to those who suspected a leveraging of name brand recognition goodwill, as has been unfortunately such a common occurrence with so many other new products from "historically valuable brands" over the recent decades.  If that was indeed not the case, it was certainly in Nagras interest to clearly explain why it was not, and what the actual differences were.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »
Are you free to share what the Nagra top-man said was changed, John?

IMO, the misstep was that Nagra was not especially open about the whole thing to begin with, and once folks realized the recorder was based on an Chinese OEM platform they never related to their consumers what non-superficial differences had been specified.  With little more than a "trust us" in response, this represented a breach of trust to those who suspected a leveraging of name brand recognition goodwill, as has been unfortunately such a common occurrence with so many other new products from "historically valuable brands" over the recent decades.  If that was indeed not the case, it was certainly in Nagras interest to clearly explain why it was not, and what the actual differences were.

It was quite a while ago now and I forget all the details - but the spec is certainly different and I am sure it is quieter.

It was more than a renamed standard product, but a special Nagra version with a better spec.   Whether it was built-in at the start or Nagra modified later I am not sure.

I habve the SD myself and am very happy with it.

I use it when I need something small and portable and have sometimes used it with teh Nagra EMP and high end phantom powered condenser mics.

PS - Gutbucket - I do miss your old avatar with the "big ears".

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, John.

PS - Gutbucket - I do miss your old avatar with the "big ears".

Ha! That's going back.  Might be time to rotate the current one out and bring that back in again, if I can locate it.

There are ironies beyond the obvious in my current avatar image featuring Evel Knievel and his 10-speed bike. The photo is of him living in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, the town I grew up in, standing in front of what might as well have been our house at the time with the same mid 50's single floor cinder-block style construction with white concrete tile roof, same circular drive, same hedges trees and sunburnt lawn, same white 10-speed.  There might as well be a plywood ramp set up in the street out front.  Granted, my standard costume is a little more pedestrian.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com