Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-100 MKIII vs. Zoom H6/H5 (audio quality)  (Read 8417 times)

Offline MVCG-17002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Tascam DR-100 MKIII vs. Zoom H6/H5 (audio quality)
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:56:36 AM »
After having a break from taping for some years I'm thinking about getting a new recorder that replaces my Sony TCD-D8.
I mainly want to use the recorder with my Sennheiser MKE 600 for Video and my old Sennheiser MKE 2002 for taping live music. I might replace the MKE 2002s with DPA 4060s in the future.

After searching a lot on the web I have the impression that audio people-prefer the Tascam DR-100 MK III whereas video-people prefer the Zoom H5/6. The fact that the Zooms have more than two channels plays a role, but seems not to be the decicive factor.

In the Audio world it seems to be common sense, that the Tascam sounds better than the Zooms and that was also my gutfeeling.
I also read on this forum, that the Zoom H6 and H5 had the same preamps.

So I was confused when I dug a little deeper and found tests of all three recorders in Professional Audio where they measured the noisefloor with the following results:

Tascam DR-100 MKIII: -100db
Zoom H5: -105 db
Zoom H6:-110 db

So, do the Zooms sound better than the Tascam?

Or am I totally on the wrong path an the Tascam is generally prefered for taping live shows because of other factors?

thanks

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-100 MKIII vs. Zoom H6/H5 (audio quality)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 02:44:13 AM »
Unless you're taping super quiet shows I don't think you'll notice a difference between -100 dB and -110 dB. Even if you were taping total silence I'm not sure you could hear the difference.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com