Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: on camera mic or lapel mic?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline OrionMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
on camera mic or lapel mic?
« on: March 18, 2023, 08:30:49 PM »
I have a stereo Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4U lapel style mics I've been using with my Roland R-07.
How would an on camera mic at around the same price ($250) compare?  Any suggestions for an on camera mic?  This would be for rock concerts.

Edit:
To be clear, I do not mean comparing the Sound Professionals mic to the built-in camera mic.  I meant adding a mic onto a camera's flash shoe.  Something like a Sennheiser MKE 440 Compact Stereo Shotgun Microphone.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 11:33:04 AM by OrionMan »

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: on camera mic or lapel mic?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 11:00:57 AM »
Are you asking how will the audio you record with SP-CMC-4U lapel style mics > R-07 compare to audio recorded with the camera mic of a $250 camera?

If that's the question, and assuming all other factors are equal (mainly location in venue), the answer is that the camera audio will likely NOT sound as good in comparison.  For starters, the camera will probably record audio in a low-bit .ac3 format (probably 224 or 256 bit).  Where as the audio recorded with the R-07 could be as high as 24 bit 4,608 kb/s at 96.0 kHz.  Not to mention, the camera will record with an omni mic, while the SP-CMC-4U mics are directional cardiod mics.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 11:29:06 AM »
Are you asking how will the audio you record with SP-CMC-4U lapel style mics > R-07 compare to audio recorded with the camera mic of a $250 camera?

If that's the question, and assuming all other factors are equal (mainly location in venue), the answer is that the camera audio will likely NOT sound as good in comparison.  For starters, the camera will probably record audio in a low-bit .ac3 format (probably 224 or 256 bit).  Where as the audio recorded with the R-07 could be as high as 24 bit 4,608 kb/s at 96.0 kHz.  Not to mention, the camera will record with an omni mic, while the SP-CMC-4U mics are directional cardiod mics.

Sorry, I meant adding a mic onto a camera.  Something like a Sennheiser MKE 440 Compact Stereo Shotgun Microphone.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 12:48:05 PM »
Have not tried the Sennheiser but I've heard good things about it.
Also AT822 is a really good option, whether on camera or not.  You can often find AT822 for a very good price on Ebay.
AT822 is powered by single AA battery.  AT825 is battery or phantom, but more expensive.
Good luck,  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline tjj5036

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rage Against the Machine Live Archive
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 01:09:06 PM »
You could continue to use the SP-CMC-4Us and just sync the audio with the footage afterwards. That's typically what I do. Dedicated mics will usually blow the camera mics out of the water. Final Cut Pro has an amazing synchronize feature that'll do that for you.
Bay Area taper that runs http://ratm.live . Please get in touch if you have any Rage recordings or know anyone that taped Rage! Always happy to tape a Bay Area show, get in touch if you want someone taped!

Mics: MK4s, AT853s, CA-14s/CA-11s
Battery/Pre: NBox+, Babynbox, SP-SPSB-10, CA-9200, Naiant Littlebox
Recorder: PCM-A10, Marantz PMD 661
Video: Panasonic ZS100

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 01:33:41 PM »

If your camera has an audio input (which it does if you are asking about on camera mics, right?) just take the line out from the recorder and run it into the camera. Use a pad if the level is too hot/not adjustable.

The SP/AT mics are going to sound just as good if not better than a dedicated on camera mic.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 04:12:31 PM »
Have not tried the Sennheiser but I've heard good things about it.
Also AT822 is a really good option, whether on camera or not.  You can often find AT822 for a very good price on Ebay.
AT822 is powered by single AA battery.  AT825 is battery or phantom, but more expensive.
Good luck,  Richard
Thanks for the 2 suggested items!

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 04:21:54 PM »
You could continue to use the SP-CMC-4Us and just sync the audio with the footage afterwards. That's typically what I do. Dedicated mics will usually blow the camera mics out of the water. Final Cut Pro has an amazing synchronize feature that'll do that for you.

Yes, I've been using Davinci Resolve to sync the R-07 recording with video from my ILC.

When you wrote: "Dedicated mics will usually blow the camera mics out of the water", by camera mics did you mean built in camera mics, or mics that you can purchase separately that can be mounted on a camera?  I knew built-in mics are horrible.  I was inquiring about mics that can be mounted on a camera vs the SP mics I have.

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 04:30:50 PM »

If your camera has an audio input (which it does if you are asking about on camera mics, right?) just take the line out from the recorder and run it into the camera. Use a pad if the level is too hot/not adjustable.

The SP/AT mics are going to sound just as good if not better than a dedicated on camera mic.

Thanks.  My thinking was that maybe because the mics you can put on a camera are larger in size then the lapel SP/AT, then the sound better. Larger = better sound.
Or at least easier to make it sound better given the same price point, since less of the cost would go into making it (the lapels) miniature.  I really have no idea what goes into building mics so I was just taking a wild guess.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 11:13:41 AM »
I've used my Rode Videomic Stereo Pro with great results mounted on camera.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com