Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 Newbie Questions - Optical Output Levels  (Read 1910 times)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
UA-5 Newbie Questions - Optical Output Levels
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »
Hey folks, new to the game here and looking for a little help, hope you dont mind me asking a few questions about the UA-5. First let me say I've read the FAQ, searched the archives and of course read the manual. I've pretty much got a grasp on how it works and all the settings, but Im just not 100% sure on setting the levels when running optical out and wanted to make sure I've got it right.

Oh and FYI im running SP-C4's>DModUA-5 (XLR in, optical out)>JB3. My question is this: When running XLR in, Are the input sensitivity knobs under the XLR inputs the only place to adjust the optical output levels? I assume that when recording a loud enough source I'll be able to give the JB3 adequate levels without turning up so far that the peak indicator light comes on? Is it OK if the peak light only flashes a little during peak volumes from the source?

I guess what throws me is the input monitor volume and master volume knobs. Both of them are listed as controlling the volume from the "master output jacks". If I understand correctly that refers to the ANALOG outs only, and they dont have anything to do with the optical output. So the optical out wouldn't be considered a master output jack?

And along those lines, If i gave out an analog patch, I understand via the FAQ to turn the monitor SW off, turn the input monitor volume all the way down (left), and control the levels via master volume. In that case, what good is the input monitor volume at all? That kinda confuses me as well.

Please let me know if Im on the right track. Thanks in advance for any input! (yes I realize my avatar sig is quite ironic considering this content)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:01:18 AM by skotdee »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: UA-5 Newbie Questions - Optical Output Levels
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:12:18 AM »
When running XLR in, Are the input sensitivity knobs under the XLR inputs the only place to adjust the optical output levels?

Yes.  Doesn't matter whether you're outputting coax, optical or USB or recording on a JB3, DAT, or PC - use the SENS knobs to adjust levels.

I assume that when recording a loud enough source I'll be able to give the JB3 adequate levels without turning up so far that the peak indicator light comes on? Is it OK if the peak light only flashes a little during peak volumes from the source?

If I recall correctly, the "peak" light flashes at approximately -3 dBFS.  So the "peak" light is a good warning that you're approaching 0 dBFS (which you don't want to hit...you want to stay below 0 dBFS) and probably don't want / need to raise levels further.  So if the "peak" light flashes occasionally, you're probably in pretty good shape.  It takes a bit of practice, but you'll eventually figure out how much flashing - and how bright the flashing - corresponds to the levels you're trying to achieve (close to, but never quite reaching, 0 dBFS).

I guess what throws me is the input monitor volume and master volume knobs. Both of them are listed as controlling the volume from the "master output jacks". If I understand correctly that refers to the ANALOG outs only, and they dont have anything to do with the optical output. So the optical out wouldn't be considered a master output jack?

Correct.

Sorry, can't help with the analog outputs, I never used mine so never bothered to learn about 'em.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 08:36:16 PM »
the analog outs are all controlled together
meaning if you change the volume knob on the back it not only effects the rca outs but also the headphone out
the analog outs are also on the same knob unlike the xlr where you can adjust them each r/l
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 12:19:21 PM »
the analog outs are all controlled together
meaning if you change the volume knob on the back it not only effects the rca outs but also the headphone out
the analog outs are also on the same knob unlike the xlr where you can adjust them each r/l

Actually the volume knob on the back adjusts the analog input volume. My question is regarding the difference in the two volume knobs on the front, input monitor volume vs master volume. After some experimentation, so far as I can tell the input monitor volume knob does nothing at all to change the analog output levels, while the master output volume does as you've stated, control the output levels of the analog outs together. So after all this I have no idea what the input monitor, input monitor volume or monitor sw buttons are for. But I dont really care, as I will be running digi-out for my purposes, and if I give out an analog patch, I'll use the master output volume to set the levels. That said, if anyone has an idea what the input monitor is all about, feel free to chime in  :)

EDIT: I do know this about the monitor sw switch via the FAQ: Leave it OFF when giving an analog patch! I guess it gives a "double layer" signal when left on. Again, what the hell is that thing for in the first place?  ???
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:22:48 PM by skotdee »

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »
From the UA-5 manual:

"Input monitor switch
This button selects whether the input signal from the Input jacks 1 and 2, Input jacks 3 and 4, and the Digital input connector will be sent without change from
the Headphone jack and the Master output jack. When this is on, the input signal will be output. When this is off, the input signal will not be output. Turn this button off (dark) if the audio data is being “thru-ed” within your computer, or if a mixer is connected and the input signal is being output directly from the mixer for monitoring."
 ??? ??? ???

Again, they lost me there. Best I can figure is this thing's purpose is for use when still stock, unmodded with a computer. Once you perform the digi-mod I think its basically useless...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com