Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Presonus Firebox, will it pass the signal?  (Read 1954 times)

Offline kingnerd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Keep on truckin' in the free world.
Presonus Firebox, will it pass the signal?
« on: July 06, 2005, 08:23:41 AM »
Will the Presonus Firebox pass the digital signal from the XLR microphone ins to the digital S/PDIF outs without being connected to a computer?  For example if I wanted to run Mics->Firebox->JB3, so that I wouldn’t need a computer to record.

Thanks,

Adam

Offline kingnerd

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Keep on truckin' in the free world.
Re: Presonus Firebox, will it pass the signal?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 12:33:29 PM »
I got my answer back from Presonus Tech Support this morning.  And I quote:  "No. The Firebox must be connected to a computer in order to work."

Offline cfbarlow

• Taperssection Regular
  • I can See Audio
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 01:52:58 PM »
digi-mod ?  The u-A5 couldn't do it either until a certin genius named Oade came along.  Ask Doug if he has any ideas.  Btw I think this box looks darn cool and was wondering about this same question.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 11:07:05 AM »
digi-mod ?  The u-A5 couldn't do it either until a certin genius named Oade came along.  Ask Doug if he has any ideas.  Btw I think this box looks darn cool and was wondering about this same question.

When I asked Doug about moding other edirol units, he stated that it was simply grabbing the digital signal before it reached the usb controlller and routing it to the optical output. He didn't promise it to work but did seem optimistic that it could be done. Look for a service manual and send it do one of our in-house guru's here on ts.com, I am sure they can determine the chances that this will work as a field devise.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 09:45:02 PM »
Looking at this thing, I don't see how you control sample rate without software and it only has analog output unless you use a breakout cable from the back to get SPIDF. The only thing this seems to have over the UA5 is a clip light for each channel. Maybe I'm missing something, but why try to figure out how to make this thing work when the UA5 already does?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com