Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Drum Roll....WOOOHOOO......Sound Devices 788T  (Read 35933 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Drum Roll....WOOOHOOO......Sound Devices 788T
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2008, 02:23:56 PM »
I would guess that the 788T is going to be the new flagship and they will bring out replacements for the 7xx's already in production.  The guts of the 788T are not that more expensive than that of the other 7xx's but there is more of a markup to be had.  It is standard to put the goodies in the most expensive and then upgrade or replace the rest of the line later.  Electric windows were once an option in luxury cars.  Heaters were not standard at one time, either.  A long, long time ago. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2008, 03:12:27 PM »
I was able to check out the 788T at NAB, and it is a sweet looking recorder.

I was told that future firmware updates would allow for recording of sample rates higher than 48khz, so for those that are concerned about that, it shouldn't be an issue for too long.

One new feature that I thought was cool was the LCD screen turns red when you are recording, and turns green when you are playing back audio. If you thought the 7xx recorders looked like Christmas trees before, wait until you see the 788T.

The recorder still uses the same Sony style lithium batteries as before, so you won't have to buy all new batteries if you plan on upgrading.

I was also told that the preamps in the 788T are actually quieter than the preamps in any of the other 7xx recorders. I haven't compared the specs myself to confirm this.

-John
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 03:17:54 PM by hammerhorror »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline hammerhorror

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »
is this thing a mixing console or a recorder?

It is a recorder. It is not intended to be used as a mixer. Sound Devices recommends using an outboard mixer with the 7xx series recorders.

It sure would be nice if they would make an all in one mixer/recorder.

Offline boojum

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2008, 06:21:45 PM »
It looks like a great piece of hardware.  It also looks like SD ate Nagra's and Sonosax's lunch.  Go team!  Eight pre-amped tracks is very sweet.  And that with the ruggedness and reliability they are famous for makes them a package to be reckoned with.  Next up the line is the Cantar X2 at USD16K.  Makes the SD 788T look really good. And especially good when SD upgrades the firmware to higher bitrates for those who need/want them.

Thank you, Jon Tatooles and crew!
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »
It looks like a great piece of hardware.  It also looks like SD ate Nagra's and Sonosax's lunch.  Go team!  Eight pre-amped tracks is very sweet.  And that with the ruggedness and reliability they are famous for makes them a package to be reckoned with.  Next up the line is the Cantar X2 at USD16K.  Makes the SD 788T look really good. And especially good when SD upgrades the firmware to higher bitrates for those who need/want them.

Thank you, Jon Tatooles and crew!

FWIW the Deva 5.8 and Deva V are both priced under the Cantar by at least $3k

Price-wise the 788 looks to join the Sonosax and Nagra on the entry level side of things.   The Zaxcom Fusion could possibly be at the high end of that segment as well with prices at $7995  http://tinyurl.com/59oqww

Comparing the 788 to the Cantar and thinking the 788 looks really good when compared is only applicable to the price of the two units.     You forget that there is a reason lots of folks run external pres in front of the 7xx boxes including myself.

EDIT: Corrected Zaxcom Fusion price.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:41:09 PM by OFOTD »

Offline boojum

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2008, 08:54:19 PM »
I understand that the new pre's are better.  Until I have compared them I will reserve comment on which way is sonically superior.   8)  As for ease of use, built in is my preference.  I do not always have the luxury of a long setup time in the dives I record in.  And I prefer the simplicity of one box over two or more.  As usual,  . . .
Nov schmoz kapop.

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2008, 09:19:09 PM »
I understand that the new pre's are better.  Until I have compared them I will reserve comment on which way is sonically superior.   8)  As for ease of use, built in is my preference.  I do not always have the luxury of a long setup time in the dives I record in.  And I prefer the simplicity of one box over two or more.  As usual,  . . .

the simplicity of the box isnt worth the price tag to me.. I could assemble a kit with better preamps, a footprint nearly as small, etc for a lot cheaper. The 2 channel is nice, but when you start talking about multi-tracking, where one is going to be carrying multiple mics, cables anyway..from where I sit, there are better options.  I do like convenience, but I like my wallet and my own preamps better.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:20:44 PM by Teddy »

Offline hammerhorror

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »
the simplicity of the box isnt worth the price tag to me.. I could assemble a kit with better preamps, a footprint nearly as small, etc for a lot cheaper. The 2 channel is nice, but when you start talking about multi-tracking, where one is going to be carrying multiple mics, cables anyway..from where I sit, there are better options.  I do like convenience, but I like my wallet and my own preamps better.

You have to keep in mind that this recorder is primarily designed for film, ENG, reality shows, and run and gun video markets. This was not made with the intentions of typical music multitrack recording.

You are right though, there are much better options for multitracking live music or music in the studio. However, for the run and gun film / video / audio work that I do, I can't think of a better solution than the 788T in this price range.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2008, 10:51:44 PM »
Not gonna happen. Already asked...he mentions the 744 only, but it applies to all current 7XX.  :-\

Right - I don't think SD could remain profitable if they tried to retrofit old hardware to the extent they would need to. 

I just hope the 788T is the first in a new line of updated 7xx units.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline boojum

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2008, 11:05:57 PM »
I would be very surprised if Tatooles and his crew did not know the market better than most folks here.  I could be wrong, but I doubt it.  If it falls flat, most here will be correct in their appraisals.  If it never sees the inside of a concert hall, likewise.  But if it sees any type of popularity, which I suspect it will, Tatooles and his crew found the right combination of price and value for the market.  Only time will tell.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2008, 07:51:41 AM »

Teddy, as I am sort of revving up to do a bit of changes I am interested in your suggestions. What would you have in "a kit with better preamps, a footprint nearly as small, etc for a lot cheaper"?

Actually, I find the 722 preamps to be good enough for classical recording. With a Schoeps MSTC64 it runs to quite respectable quality. For those extra moments of course I bring out the good old rack with Millenia/Lavry Blue but that takes its toll in backbreaking work.

Gunnar

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2008, 10:54:23 AM »
I, too, want to hear how Teddy will provide 8 channels, each with its own preamp, in "a kit with better preamps, a footprint nearly as small, etc for a lot cheaper."

Flintstone

RebelRebel

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
lynx aurora 8 , standard laptop, DAV BG-8.....(of course there are myriad preamp options around, but DAV is my personal preference for any recording situation, not just live .)

RME micstasy>>Laptop...  there are many options. and Gunnar, I do like the 2channel recorder from SD..wish I still had mine.

Teddy, as I am sort of revving up to do a bit of changes I am interested in your suggestions. What would you have in "a kit with better preamps, a footprint nearly as small, etc for a lot cheaper"?

Actually, I find the 722 preamps to be good enough for classical recording. With a Schoeps MSTC64 it runs to quite respectable quality. For those extra moments of course I bring out the good old rack with Millenia/Lavry Blue but that takes its toll in backbreaking work.

Gunnar
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:54:26 PM by Teddy »

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2008, 01:56:06 PM »
Next up the line is the Cantar X2 at USD16K. 

There is also the Zaxcom Fusion which just got released. It's also eight channels. Did you get a chance to see that at NAB?

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RebelRebel

« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2008, 01:59:55 PM »
whats the story with this

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com