Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Drum Roll....WOOOHOOO......Sound Devices 788T  (Read 36024 times)

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
Re: Drum Roll....WOOOHOOO......Sound Devices 788T
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2008, 01:39:13 AM »
Where else to put it? 

They would have to use a different battery, but inside the unit where 99% of the audio gear's batteries go. For some reason, the video camera has changed this, but outside the video realm, most batteries are placed inside a unit.

However that being said, there is a real advantage to using common batteries. Mainly price!

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2008, 03:59:11 AM »
I use oversize batteries on them all.  Better to have 30 minutes left than run out 30 minutes early.  I have only run four tracks on the 788 and it is not a real battery hog, but eight tracks would be different, for sure.  For all eight I would probably run on wall power if I could.

As for the failed LED, yes, it is a bummer and I will send it back to SD when some other thing crops up.  Right now I would rather keep it here in Oreeegun.  I am all for trying a 12 channel run soon.  I have a deal going where I will be recording live sound at a local venue and have access to all the feeds from the mix board, a 32 track.  Needless to say, not all tracks would be used on the mixer.  Looks like, um, about 12.    8) 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:50:05 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »
I have a deal going where I will be recording live sound at a local venue and have access to all the feeds from the mix board, a 32 track.  Needless to say, not all tracks would be used on the mixer.  Looks like, um, about 12.    8) 

Why would you run a 'multitrack' and only use less than half of the channels? That makes no sense!

Set up a stereo pair of mics on-stage, maybe a stereo pair of mics further back, and get a stereo matrix feed from the board.

I hate to say, but if you are looking to multitrack, you are heading in the absolute wrong direction using only SD gear. A Protools setup would be ALOT cheaper, allow for way more channels, and be WAY more versatile.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »
Interesting new battery locking mechanism on the back there. +T
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline boojum

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »
I have a deal going where I will be recording live sound at a local venue and have access to all the feeds from the mix board, a 32 track.  Needless to say, not all tracks would be used on the mixer.  Looks like, um, about 12.    8) 

Why would you run a 'multitrack' and only use less than half of the channels? That makes no sense!

Set up a stereo pair of mics on-stage, maybe a stereo pair of mics further back, and get a stereo matrix feed from the board.

I hate to say, but if you are looking to multitrack, you are heading in the absolute wrong direction using only SD gear. A Protools setup would be ALOT cheaper, allow for way more channels, and be WAY more versatile.

It makes plenty of sense if you know the venue: it is a live situation.  You can only mic so much in a quartet or quintet.  Last night for example: mic each for guitar, bass and harp.  Three on the drumset and two vocal mics.  That's eight.  The board does also run ProTools.  The SD gear is an additional option.  And it gives me the opportunity to bring it all home and learn how to mix multi-track.  I am just now finishing up a four track of a local choral group: two omnis on the choir, two side-by-side cards for the soloists.  It came out very well and I am quite pleased.  The choir director will be, too.  It is better than the first one I did for them.

I want something to record with that I can carry easily, records well and is solid.  Laptops are only so rugged and will rarely run as long off batteries as an SD recorder.  And then there is the entirely personal thing: my wallet, my choice.  I am sure the laptop and ProTools is a better route for you and would encourage you to pursue what you think works best for you. 

The way I choose to go is not for everyone.  I have a small mic locker: five mics.  All very good ones.  I have a few pups too, but depend on the five good ones for almost everything.  I would rather buy top of the line gear and be done than trade my way up to top of the line gear.  I had a cash windfall that made that possible and rather than spend the money on foolish things like getting my house painted and redecorated I bought recording gear.  I sure am glad I took the sensible route.     ;D  The maintenance can wait.  I've got taping to do!     8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2008, 08:57:08 PM »

From your previous post you mentioned a 32 track board and only using 12 channels. If all that is being mixed is 8 tracks or whatever that makes a little more sense.

You are right though, it is your wallet and your choice. :)

My opinion, which ain't worth much, is that you would have been better suited taking a different approach. Alesis, ProTools, etc if you are multitracking. SD boxes were not designed as a multitracking solution, but could be used that way in a pinch. As finicky as the C-Link protocol is, again, I would not put all my eggs in one basket. I would never consider running from battery power for a professional job either (unless under extreme conditions), but again your choice.

Good luck with your recordings. :)
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline boojum

« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2008, 01:39:33 AM »
MM -  I am not sure we are on the same page.  This soundboard gig is an occasional deal, not my reason for living.  I do mostly remotes and almost always on battery power to avoid any chance of AC interference.  This sound board gig just showed up on Thursday.  C-link has, so far, been fine.  With the 788T I can run off its word clock, I believe. I have not checked that, but am confident of the C-link.

The sound board on Saturday only had 8 channels working.  How many mics should there be on a guitar amp? Just because there are 32 channels does not mean they will all be used all the time.  And, like my 12 channel capability, they are there should they be needed.  I do not think I will be doing a lot of 12 channel work.  But, a trio in town will require three spots, one for each guitar and one for the bass, a MS - AB setup I am working with, and a vocal mic to be eight channels.  If it gets freaky I can pack a 722 or two along.  This Sunday gig is a constant but was a trio tonight as the drummer was not there, thankfully.  He is a R&R drummer playing in a jazz group.  He has one level: too loud.

There is more than one solution to these problems.  I keep experimenting as there is no on I can tag along with to learn from.  The one guy is the fellow who is teaching me the sound board.  He has setup venues, tuned them and run sound boards for about ten years and about the same amount of time touring in R&R bands and running his own saloons.  I am not super keen on the R&R end but it is something to learn and I am sure it will come in handy along the way.  I am getting paid to learn.  It is just like I am back on the GI Bill again.    8)

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:53:01 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2008, 06:22:16 AM »
How many mics should there be on a guitar amp?

:)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline fatfatjames

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2008, 11:08:31 PM »
whats the story with this

Even though Sonosax sounds great, I don't understand why they keep putting up cartoon drawings into their website. Their website should show real photos even a dummy photo. Their competitors (Grace Design, Sound Devices etc. ) will never show cartoon drawings. It's just a bid annoying when you're really curious what the real product looks like.

http://www.gearwire.com/sonosax-new-products-aes-vienna.html

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2008, 03:23:19 AM »

Just to do a bit of nitpicking. There are actually two different ProTools systems families. The one you probably is thinking about is the consumer priced (somewhat) ProTools LE. That system is limited to maximum 18 simultaneous inputs and then with a bit of shoehorn to make it fit. Not the 32 mentioned, although once inside the computer you can mix more channels. The professionally priced ProTools HD systems of course can handle more, over 100, but the system then comes in at a higher price point.

Gunnar

Offline boojum

« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2008, 10:00:50 PM »
Gunnar, I agree, and disagree that the SD's are the wrong way to go for multitrack.  I do mostly acoustic so 12 tracks works.  The SD's are more rugged and reliable than a laptop.  I have read and heard way to many stories of laptops freezing or in some other way ruining a session.  I have never read or heard of an SD choking.  I can capture up to 12 tracks, take them home and mix them in SAM 10.1 Master.  It will take some juggling as the SAM Master does four tracks.  But I can do it.

There are so many ways to do things in recording.  I went the way I did for flexibility.  I can do 2, 4, 8, 10 or 12 track by juggling the hardware configurations.  I just need the extra mics now.  It never ends.

Tak.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2008, 02:49:50 AM »
Sorry Boojum if I was unclear. It was only nitpicking about 32 concurrent ProTools channel coming in at a low cost (which it does not as it takes a ProTools HD system).

I really like the SD boxes, run a 722 myself when doing stereo recordings. And I would love to have a 788 (or two) for multitrack recordings.

For more channels I must admit though to running a laptop with a rack of external stuff. I have had very little problems with that over the years, but I treat it with great respect. I run a RME Fireface which has proved itself very stable, you need to be picky about Firewire cables though as a lot of them are quite bad. And my program of choice, Samplitude Pro, works perfectly in recording sessions as well as mixing (and mastering and burning CD-s). Generally, though, I agree, a hardware box would be preferred and I would love to have a 788 or perhaps a Deva.

Gunnar

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2008, 02:52:15 AM »
I just need the extra mics now.  It never ends.

Tak.
too true.  for the money i highly fluff the Busman mics.  the SD stereo set is a total value for the price and quality.  i doubt you will be unhappy with the results and they will add to your asenal in so many different ways with all the options in caps.    8)
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2008, 01:50:48 PM »
Rumor has it that SD/Schoeps will be showing off the 788T powering a set of Schoeps CMD's  directly at AES.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
Rumor has it that SD/Schoeps will be showing off the 788T powering a set of Schoeps CMD's  directly at AES.

Very interesting if this is true.

I had heard that SD will be showing a Beta firmware with AES42 support - excellent news now that there are three main microphone companies doing AES42 microphones.

However, if it works with more than one Schoeps CMD, I will be very interested, as the Schoeps are AES42-mode1 which are asynchronous operation and require a sample-rate converter to lock them

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com