Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack II - Part 2  (Read 52942 times)

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Microtrack II - Part 2
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2008, 10:53:29 AM »
Thanks for the reminder on the procedure. I must've done this a dozen times between my MT2 and my original MT and never had a problem, but this past few times I Unplugged the MT2 after loading the files and then ran the update. From your procedure reminder I see I should've just disconnected and then do the update. That appears to have fixed the problem. I guess it always helps to read the update procedure carefully and don't rely on memory of what you've done before.

Thanks again for the reminder!

Make sure that you still have the recorder plugged in via usb while you are running the update.
As the directions say, download the firmware.  Mount the MT2 to your computer.  Paste the new firware files onto the cf card in the MT2.  Unmount the recorder but keep it connected.  Then run the update.

If all else fails, maybe remove the cf card, reformat it completely.

Keep us posted.  Will try my MT2 tonight to see if I had any problems.  I ran the firmware update but haven't run any tests.

Good luck...

I just updated to the new 1.0.7 firmware and now everything is wacky. I can not get it to power on without being plugged in to an external power source. When I turn it own on it's own battery it shows the initial screen then goes blank. If I plug it into external power it'll power on and it will continue to work fine on it's internal battery if I disconnect the external power. When I do this it shows the MT battery has a full charge. I tried reverting back to 1.0.4 but that didn't help. Any ideas out there?
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »
No problem.  Glad it's working and isn't another M-Audio problem.

All's well that ends well... :headphones:
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2008, 02:29:43 PM »
Just wanted to share that I have now rec'd my CA 9100 preamp and after some living room testing, found that it works fine running between my AT933's and the MT2 via TRS with the levels all the way down on the recorder.  Can't wait to try it in the field.  My only concern will be amplification in a lower SPL, acoustic environment.  Perhaps run via the 1/8" connection to take advantage of the 20 db of 9100 gain plus the recorder gain?
My at933's have the low sensitivity mod so I assume there will be some cases where 20db of gain may not be enough?

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
Okay, so I've done the update and ran using the TRS inputs and an external battery source. Recording came out great! At another show I ran the 1/8" input used a little of the MTII's gain with the gain on the 9100 pre and I got a lot of "hiss" in the really quiet parts. So needless to say I won't use the 1/8" plug ever again even though it is stealthier to use.

Last night, recorded a <3 hour show using the TRS inputs, gain all the way down on MTII, used only gain on pre, external battery plugged in and everything turned out fine. At the end of the show I was shutting everything down. MTII finished writing file, returned to the main screen, I unplugged the external battery and pressed the on/off button to shut it down. I held it for a few seconds and then started shutting down the other rig. When I came back to the MTII it was stuck on the "M-AUDIO" screen with the "plug" picture. And it has been stuck there ever since.

Is there a hard reset I can do to get it to "unfreeze"?

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh and about using the 1/8" jack for the extra dB's, I was recording a half acoustic/half electric show. In the low parts is where you'll get the most hiss noticeable. Just an FYI. ;D

EDIT 2.0: Fixed! From M-Audio's knowledge base. Took more than 10 seconds but worked.

Screen frozen, device not responding, won't power off
Text size [-]

Q: My MicroTrack recorder has frozen, it's not responding to any button presses, and I can't power the device off.  What should I do?

A: Press and hold both the Power and Del buttons for 10 seconds and then release them; the device should power off.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 04:17:00 PM by manitouman »
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2008, 07:01:53 PM »
Okay, so I've done the update and ran using the TRS inputs and an external battery source. Recording came out great! At another show I ran the 1/8" input used a little of the MTII's gain with the gain on the 9100 pre and I got a lot of "hiss" in the really quiet parts. So needless to say I won't use the 1/8" plug ever again even though it is stealthier to use.

EDIT: Oh and about using the 1/8" jack for the extra dB's, I was recording a half acoustic/half electric show. In the low parts is where you'll get the most hiss noticeable. Just an FYI. ;D

Sucks...guess I'll be better off running the 9100 thru 1/4" in all situations and boosting up levels in post in situations that the 20db's of the pre won't get the levels up high enough.  Wish the 9100 offered more than 20db.  I assume you tried going in thru the 1/8" because the gain wasn't enough using only the 9100?

Anyway that you could post a sample of the hissing?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:46:13 PM by taperwheeler »

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2008, 06:44:53 PM »
If you have a TTD account you can go here < http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66353 > and download any of those acoustic songs. If not, maybe I can MP3 a song and email it to you?

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »
If you have a TTD account you can go here < http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66353 > and download any of those acoustic songs. If not, maybe I can MP3 a song and email it to you?

Thanks man! Snagged it and will give it a listen. 

Edit: Gave it a listen and you're right...that hiss is crazy loud.

What were your settings on the 9100 and the MT2?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:46:14 AM by taperwheeler »

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2008, 09:55:03 AM »
For what it's worth, I came across this cable at the Sound Pro's site.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-MICROTRACK-MINI-TRS-1

It has a designation option to be used with the MT2.  Awhile back Chris at SP emailed me to say that they could wire a cable in theory that should prevent the sprinkler sound, thus allowing use of both an external pre's gain and that of the MT2 thru the 1/4" jack. At that time it hadn't been tested.  I've emailed him again in hopes that it has now been proven to work.  Here's hoping...

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2008, 09:48:20 PM »
Can't remember the settings on the MTII because it was a  >:D job. I "think" I turned down the gain on the MTII about half way down what the default setting is and adjusted the gain on the 9100 up to a comfortable level. I know that doesn't say much but that was what I did.

That cable only mentions the MTI and not the MTII specifically. I never had the problem with the MTI. This is something new with the MTII. I have stayed with just using the TRS cable when recording with the MTII. Hands down the best option for me anyways.

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2008, 12:15:29 PM »
Can't remember the settings on the MTII because it was a  >:D job. I "think" I turned down the gain on the MTII about half way down what the default setting is and adjusted the gain on the 9100 up to a comfortable level. I know that doesn't say much but that was what I did.

That cable only mentions the MTI and not the MTII specifically. I never had the problem with the MTI. This is something new with the MTII. I have stayed with just using the TRS cable when recording with the MTII. Hands down the best option for me anyways.

The cable has a drop-down tab in the options that differentiates b/w mt1 and mt2.  I chatted with Chris via email and they use the tr wiring scheme that avoids the ground which avoids the sprinkler sound.  I'm going to order one and give it a go.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2008, 07:38:35 AM »
I have this for sale in the YS -

Soundprofessionals MT interface.  I could not find this on their website, I think they discontinued it.  It is a battery box/interface for the MT.  It has 1/8" input, headphone monitoring, is a battery box, and uses the TRS inputs on the MT instead of the 1/8" input.  I would assume this would work great with the MTII but you should write to SP to confirm.  Uses a small 12v battery like a AA, just shorter and sexier.  I used it a few times 2 years ago and has sat since I sold my first MT and now needs to go since I am selling my second MT.  Besides, I was going all digital with a UA5 in front of it.  It works with DPA 406X series and with AT mics like the AT853s.  No roll off on the adaptor.Make Offer

FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »

Soundprofessionals MT interface.  I could not find this on their website, I think they discontinued it.  It is a battery box/interface for the MT.  It has 1/8" input, headphone monitoring, is a battery box, and uses the TRS inputs on the MT instead of the 1/8" input.  I would assume this would work great with the MTII but you should write to SP to confirm.  Uses a small 12v battery like a AA, just shorter and sexier.  I used it a few times 2 years ago and has sat since I sold my first MT and now needs to go since I am selling my second MT.  Besides, I was going all digital with a UA5 in front of it.  It works with DPA 406X series and with AT mics like the AT853s.  No roll off on the adaptor.Make Offer

Unfortunately that device won't work with the mt2 using the trs because the cabling has to be wired specifically for the mt2 (no grounds wired to shield).  Looks pretty cool tho'...

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2008, 05:48:25 PM »

I have this and use it on my MT1 (2496). It is a must have if you want a low profile. A fantastic battery box for the unit. Too bad it is discontinued. As an MT2496 owner, it was the best accessory for the device. Too bad it does not work on the MT2. Of course the 2 decks have very different issues. On the MT2496, the 1/8 jacks were not too good and ran way too hot. This solution allowed you to use the TRS jacks and the 1/8 jack mics like the modded AT853's or Chris Church's mics (my favorite with the unit), and not to deal with Battery box cables or bulk. I have a Rat Shack 1/8 "L" connector attached so I have some swivel capability (also great for connecting the supplied "T" mic, and also allows some movement so nothing gets yanked out when the situation calls for wires running through clothing.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »

Unfortunately that device won't work with the mt2 using the trs because the cabling has to be wired specifically for the mt2 (no grounds wired to shield).  Looks pretty cool tho'...

Crap, I am never going to sell this thing.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline antsyashley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2009, 01:33:40 AM »
Hey y'all. This is my first post. I am BRAND new to taping. In fact, I am not even a taper yet. I am learning and doing research quickly so I can get some equipment before a show at the end of January. I need some stealth gear and I'm very interested in the Microtrack II. As a beginner, I don't want to buy much just to get started. I was wondering if I can do it all with just this one device? How good will a concert sound if I record it using only the MT2 and its mic that comes with it? No extra mics, no extra power, just the MT2. Does anyone have a sample recording of the PURE MT2 live concert experience? Or any input?

I've found it new for $255 (http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--MDOMICROII). Does anyone know a better price? Or perhaps I should check for a used one at the yard sale.

I know this is probably a simple and basic question, but I appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com