Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pocket-recorder review series (Video) @ Sonic State  (Read 6675 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Pocket-recorder review series (Video) @ Sonic State
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:56:41 PM »
There is a video series at Sonic State, starts with the Yamaha 2G, but the intro shows what they will be reviewing, most recorders...

*** NEW --> 4. Edirol R09HR *** 8th/May/2009

3. Yamaha Pocket Track CX

2. M-Audio - Microtrack II

1. Yamaha - Pocket Track 2G

Comparison charts for many recorders can be found at...

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/recorders/chart.php

and

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/compare-portable-recorders.html

digifish
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:23:12 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Pocket-recorder review series (Video) @ Sonic State
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:15:35 AM »
thanx!

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »
I look forward to seeing the D50 review.  Does he say on here how often they'll be posted?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »
I look forward to seeing the D50 review.  Does he say on here how often they'll be posted?

No. But usually one a week, I will bump the thread when I see the next one, I am on Sonic State regularly.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
- What's this knob do?

Offline ChrisMofNS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:32:06 AM »
Looks great.

I noticed there's not much talk about the Marantz PMD 620.  I didn't see it in this reviewer's lineup, and the big thread ended back in June or so.  With the success of the PMD 660 and 671 I'm surprised we don't hear more about it.

Chris

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »
Looks great.

I noticed there's not much talk about the Marantz PMD 620.  I didn't see it in this reviewer's lineup, and the big thread ended back in June or so.  With the success of the PMD 660 and 671 I'm surprised we don't hear more about it.

Chris

I've been using the Oade Concert MOD PMD620 lately; in my opinion, it sounds pretty great.  'Course, it might just be the SNAKE OIL ;)...I like the easy operation too...

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:14:01 PM »

I've been using the Oade Concert MOD PMD620 lately; in my opinion, it sounds pretty great.  'Course, it might just be the SNAKE OIL ;)...I like the easy operation too...

All 'sake oil' is 'essential oil' until it fails a well constructed blind listening test :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 08:03:52 AM »
All 'sake oil' is 'essential oil' until it fails a well constructed blind listening test :)

digifish

Funny, when I made the "snake oil" crack, I was thinking of this thread http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,109703.0.html, so I didn't really get your response.  Then I read the FR2LE thread, and it all made sense...

I am curious what people would consider constitutes a "well constructed blind listening test", though.  Seems like it would be difficult to simulate a concert setting at home and even more difficult to run a controlled test at a show.  Any thoughts?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »

digifish

Funny, when I made the "snake oil" crack, I was thinking of this thread http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,109703.0.html, so I didn't really get your response.  Then I read the FR2LE thread, and it all made sense...

I am curious what people would consider constitutes a "well constructed blind listening test", though.  Seems like it would be difficult to simulate a concert setting at home and even more difficult to run a controlled test at a show.  Any thoughts?

A couple of basic things (all intended to improve listener sensitivity to differences)...

1. Levels need to be matched. Louder almost always sound better. The threshold for loudness differences is in the order of 0.5 dB (under the best listening conditions in an A/B back-to-back change. It rises to about 1.5 dB at 1 minute separation between the examples, again under ideal listening conditions). In the real world 1 dB is fairly close to the just noticeable limit.

2. The samples need to be spliced back-to-back with an instant transition between the recordings. The duration of the selections should ideally be around 5 seconds (however this is open to debate and will depend on the qualities being assessed. However in general, short selections A/B no gap usually produce the most sensitive discriminations).

3. The listener should be allowed repeated presentations of each comparison paring until they make their decision.

4. There should be an objective response indicator. That is they should be asked to choose either preference, or pick the modded one or whatever. But they should be given a FORCED choice.

5. The number of comparisons should exclude chance from playing a significant role in the outcome. It's typical to shoot for 95% confidence in the perceptual world. So that means a performance of ~7 consistent identifications out of 8. Ideally 10 comparisons would make a good standard.

5. The comparison should be done blind. That is the listener should not know which example they are listening to on any given session.

6. No feedback during the assessment session should be given. The internet makes this easy as you can download a file and listen to it without seeing the experimenter or interacting with them.

7 The recordings should be simultaneous from the same set of mics. Alternatively, the same the same microphones used in the same position recording the exact same sound. That is why the recording of a Hi-Fi source, ticking clocks, test signals or whatever is a great paradigm.

...it's a good question and something I think we should discuss as a group. I've reposted this under it's own heading.

digifish
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:28:33 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 08:21:22 PM »
Yamaha Pocket Track CX is now up...

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/01/12/sonic-lab-portable-recorders-yamaha-pocketrak-cx/

...impressive 40+ hour recording time!

digifish
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:00:24 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »
The Pocketrak CX has a 2 GB file size limit.  When it reaches the limit, the file is saved and the recorder stops.  Recording MP3 at 128 kbps, it would take about 35 hours to fill 2 GB.  If you chose 64 kbps, you could record until the battery gave out at about 44 hours.  Amazing!  More useful to music recording, when capturing 16/44.1 WAV files, you can record for 3 hours 15 minutes before the 2 GB limit is reached.

When I looked at the CX, I found its sound quality to be lacking in comparison to recorders like the R-09HR.  After further review, I found that the CX's amp for playback through headphones is really poor.  When I listened to CX recordings transferred onto computer, they sounded much better. 

Incidentally, the street price for the CX is now about $300, down from $400 when first introduced.

Flintstone

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:52:39 PM »
When I looked at the CX, I found its sound quality to be lacking in comparison to recorders like the R-09HR.  After further review, I found that the CX's amp for playback through headphones is really poor.  When I listened to CX recordings transferred onto computer, they sounded much better. 

Incidentally, the street price for the CX is now about $300, down from $400 when first introduced.

Flintstone

It also seems to have some very poorly calibrated AGC/Limiter since his examples speaking into it sounded woefull. I am not sure about his love of these controls, you set the levels conservatively, they are unecessary, as we all know.

digifish 

- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com