Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: can SD cards be corrupted/ Edrol RO9 recording problems  (Read 3764 times)

Offline schoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
can SD cards be corrupted/ Edrol RO9 recording problems
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »
Hi all, came back from a gig last night and was dismayed to listen to  my recording frankly it was rubbish.

My first question is can SD cards be corrupted? I have a four GB transcend in the RO 9

If the SD card is not the culprit can anybody hazard a guess as to where the problem is?

I run AT 853 Rx`s mounted on sunglasses > Church Audio Preamp CA 9100 > Edirol R-09 and this is the first time I have encountered any problems.

There may be an outside chance the mic gain switch got pressed onto the wrong setting (incidentally, what is the right setting as I`m now thoroughly confused)

I checked my levels and they didn’t peak at any time but the whole recording sounds totally clipped

any help would be much appreciated

Schoff
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:58:06 PM by schoff »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: can SD cards be corrupted/ Edrol RO9 recording problems
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:56:28 PM »
Hi all, came back from a gig last night and was dismayed to listen to  my recording frankly it was rubbish.

My first question is can SD cards be corrupted? I have a four GB transcend in the RO 9

If the SD card is not the culprit can anybody hazard a guess as to where the problem is?

I run AT 853 Rx`s mounted on sunglasses > Church Audio Preamp CA 9100 > Edirol R-09 and this is the first time I have encountered any problems.

There may be an outside chance the mic gain switch got pressed onto the wrong setting (incidentally, what is the right setting as I`m now thoroughly confused)

I checked my levels and they didn’t peak at any time but the whole recording sounds totally clipped

any help would be much appreciated

Schoff

Can cards get corrupted Yes.. Will that result in bad audio No. It will result in data loss. Not bad audio if you have a problem with sound quality it could be your 9100 was running low on  battery power or you had the gain set way to high *doubtful* on the 9100 unity gain or 0 db gain is at 11o'clock after that you are getting into gain. I would recommend for very loud shows you run the control at 75% and for normal shows you run the preamp at full gain and make sure your using the LINE input. You should have the agc off. Can you post a sample that might help me track down your problem.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline schoff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:06:55 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your quick response

"It could be your 9100 was running low on  battery power or you had the gain set way to high" Last time I tested the battery it showed 7 Volts and that was two shows ago

I don`t think it is the 9100 as I was at a Motorhead show and ran it at full gain witout any problems

AGC was off and I was using the Line imput

I`ve posted a sample on my original post

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 03:12:56 PM by schoff »

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »
Hi Chris,

I`ve posted a sample on my original post

I see a fair amount of DC offset in that recording, apart from the obvious distortion, that sounds a lot like a condenser mic not getting enough juice.

...or a 2-bit sample depth :)

Have you made good recordings with it since?

digifish

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:58:12 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:35:10 PM »
Looks like your popsicle is melting, buddy.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline schoff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »
Right Scott, I havn`t had thc chance to try my rig since the gig but I will change the battery in the Pre amp and hope that will do the trick.

Thanke for the help

Chris

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »
Right Scott, I havn`t had thc chance to try my rig since the gig but I will change the battery in the Pre amp and hope that will do the trick.

Thanke for the help

Chris

That is a really REALLY dead battery...... I also cant stress this enough Never ever use anything other then a good quality alkaline battery or that 9.6 volt rechargeable 9 volt that has been floating around. I have done tests on cheap batteries and found that a cheap alkaline battery can actually increase noise floor.

Chris

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »
That is a really REALLY dead battery...... I also cant stress this enough Never ever use anything other then a good quality alkaline battery or that 9.6 volt rechargeable 9 volt that has been floating around. I have done tests on cheap batteries and found that a cheap alkaline battery can actually increase noise floor.

Chris

Very interesting. I'm glad I do have the quality batteries. At what point, in volts, should a 9 volt battery be replaced? 8? 7?

Sean
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »

Chris

Very interesting. I'm glad I do have the quality batteries. At what point, in volts, should a 9 volt battery be replaced? 8? 7?

Sean

Anything under 6.7 is bad. The preamp uses a split rail voltage so 4.5 is negative and 4.5 is positive anything under 6.7 volts is not good. But if the recording is very important fresh batteries should always be used. I recommend the 9.6 volt rechargeable battery.

Offline schoff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 02:23:53 AM »
Right rechargeables here I come.

I must admit as to being a wee bit wary of rechargeables as I had a set of Energizer Rechargeables (2500 mAh) which started loosing their charge after about a year. (Probably due to me not waiting until they were completely run down before recharging.)

Anyway any recommendations as to the best make bearing in mind I`m in the UK.

Once again,

Thanks everybody for your input

Chris

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 04:02:18 AM »
Right rechargeables here I come.

I must admit as to being a wee bit wary of rechargeables as I had a set of Energizer Rechargeables (2500 mAh) which started loosing their charge after about a year. (Probably due to me not waiting until they were completely run down before recharging.)

Anyway any recommendations as to the best make bearing in mind I`m in the UK.

Once again,

Thanks everybody for your input

Chris

Get yourself a decent charger...two excellent examples are ...

MH-C9000 WizardOne

or

La Crosse BC-900

I have the MH-C9000, it's improved the lifetime of my batteries and their state of charge significantly over the dumb chargers. Both are available on eBay.

Oops, you need to charge 9V :) wrong type...still both companies make 9V chargers too.

digifish
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 04:04:57 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 03:10:39 PM »
Hey Schoff, that waveform looks just like the one I got when the batteries in my STC-9000 went dead!  Actually, mine was just the opposite with the peaks on the top, rather than the bottom. I tried to fix it, but no luck. I learned a hard lesson at that show.

MSTaper
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 03:43:53 PM by MSTaper »
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 03:15:30 PM »
Hey Schoff, that waveform looks just like the one I got when the battery in my STC-9000 went dead! I tried to fix it, but no luck. I learned a hard lesson at that show.

MSTaper
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 03:19:29 PM by MSTaper »
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com