Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-07  (Read 26013 times)

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Tascam DR-07
« on: May 11, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »
Just picked up a DR-07 and thought it'd be good to start it's own thread for users to share info.

Haven't ran it yet outside of some very brief livingroom testing and haven't seen a lot posted on it's performance.  I'm eager to hear about how it's being ran in the field, strengths, short-comings, batt life, external batt options, unity setting?
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Tascam DR-07
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »
Just picked up a DR-07 and thought it'd be good to start it's own thread for users to share info.

Haven't ran it yet outside of some very brief livingroom testing and haven't seen a lot posted on it's performance.  I'm eager to hear about how it's being ran in the field, strengths, short-comings, batt life, external batt options, unity setting?

Looks good, except no digital input, right?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »
Yeah, no digi in.  Keeping my mt2 for my digi bit bucketing and looking towards using the DR-07 for running a smaller analog setup. 

Offline mrblister

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:09:38 PM »
Hi -I've recently bought one too....my first foray into digital recorders as I currently use minidiscs.

I've only recorded one gig with it and it seemed to work absolutely fine.  I used Church Audio 11 mics straight into the mic in input and the recording appears clean with no noticeable noise.

It is extremely easy to use, well set out and with intuitive menus.  The screen is nice and big and not too cluttered.  Setting the correct levels is a breeze.
I also use it to record myself practicing guitar using the in-built microphones and it is excellent for that. Plus the ability to loop sections of what I've just recorded is good.

Downsides:

It feels a little plasticky - much more so that it appears in the pictures - although I suppose it is only £160

There is no way to switch off the bright red record light (unless I'm missing something) which flashes in record pause mode then stays on in record mode.

The hold button does what it says except for the dial that sets the record levels - so its a bit of a worry  when you set the levels, push on the hold then put it in your pocket.

Handholding and using the internal mics will give you lots of handling noise.

Overall I like it a lot and I'm sure it will get a lot of use, although I went to a small, intimate (audience of ten) jazz gig at the weekend and I left it at home and took my minidisc instead(small and cute with no flashing lights and a hold button that does exactly what you tell it to)

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »
Finally running some testing...Sunday will be running in the field for first time. 

One thing I don't care for is that when recording, it has a time remaning display that displays time remaining before 2 gig split, not total disk time left.  Would much rather know how much total room is left.

Offline danzz1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 01:39:59 PM »
im on a budget and really interested in the results with this recorder

please let us know about your recordings and stuff  ;D

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 02:09:45 PM »
I have one as well and will be testing it out at Delfest this weekend.  Should be a few other rigs there, so hopefully some comps will come out of it.  I have used it once already and so far it looks like a promising compact recorder.

Things I don't like - recording level dial can't be "locked", no overall margin indicator (it refreshes every 5 seconds or so), level meters are OK but not great, recording dial is sensitive (you have to be gentle or you'll really hear the adjustments - not noise, but drastic level changes), no digital input.

Things I like - 7+ hrs recording on a single set of alkaline AA's, sound (need some comps vs. known references), size (slightly larger than the R09HR), location of the line input doesn't interfere with level adjustment (unlike the R09HR), doesn't seem to have the "clip before peak overload" problem exhibited by the R09HR (needs more testing to confirm).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:32:03 AM by Craig T »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
nice to see some owners posting.. despite noone here used it 'on the field', do you guys feel its a good unit for the money?

i mean, it seems much better the H2, with more features etc, for just $200, isnt it?

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 07:21:21 AM »
nice to see some owners posting.. despite noone here used it 'on the field', do you guys feel its a good unit for the money?

i mean, it seems much better the H2, with more features etc, for just $200, isnt it?

Yes...I am pretty impressed so far.  And it has the same preamp, adc as the dr-100.  Can't wait to run it Sunday...running a sbd patch for a matrix.

Offline bigu2fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 10:07:07 PM »
I have one of these and have used it to tape two shows. One an acoustic gig in a small theater and the other a May Jane's Addiction show. I am very new to taping, and found this DR-07 fairly straightforward and easy to use. The comment about the recording level setting wheel not locking is slightly annoying but not a deal breaker IMHO. For the acoustic gig I used SP-CMC-2 mics in the mic in. For Jane's, where I was very close to the stage, I used a battery box and line in. I am very please with the quality of the records considering the price I paid for all this stuff.

I agree that it has kind of a plastic-y feel, but, again, not a deal breaker. It is very small, small enough to fit in your back pocket. I am very please with the DR-07, but this is my first recording rig so I have nothing to compare it to.

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »
Ran my dr-07 Sunday night for a sbd feed and came out great running straight line-in with no pad.  Unit seems to get 5+ hours on my energizer rechargables and has also run fine feeding it 4.5v dc by my old eco-charge batteries and walwart.  Next weekend will give it it's first analog run.

Offline crazifyngers

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 02:57:26 PM »
I also purchased a dr-07 and have been happy with it thus far.  I did read in another thread that the 24bit recording is not actually doing anything because the snr of the dr-07 is 87db.  is this correct?
Gotta love the rat-tail Jerry has; it's where his power comes from!

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 03:32:49 PM »
I also purchased a dr-07 and have been happy with it thus far.  I did read in another thread that the 24bit recording is not actually doing anything because the snr of the dr-07 is 87db.  is this correct?

Where did you hear that the snr is 87db?  I can't imagine that could be correct on a tascam.  The DR-07 reportedly has the same preamp and adc as the dr-100.  I don't think even the mt has an snr at that level.  Was that snr listed at a certain gain stage as the unit has the 3?

I'm no expert here, but seems best practice for me to plug in my gear, record in as quiet a setting as possible testing the recorders preamp gain to find it's highest point of gain without background noise, then note that as my happy place.  Any gain above that, use my external pre.  Haven't tested my dr-07 yet for it's "happy place".
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 03:49:10 PM by taperwheeler »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »

Where did you hear that the snr is 87db?  I can't imagine that could be correct on a tascam.  The DR-07 reportedly has the same preamp and adc as the dr-100.  I don't think even the mt has an snr at that level.  Was that snr listed at a certain gain stage as the unit has the 3?

I'm no expert here, but seems best practice for me to plug in my gear, record in as quiet a setting as possible testing the recorders preamp gain to find it's highest point of gain without background noise, then note that as my happy place.  Any gain above that, use my external pre.  Haven't tested my dr-07 yet for it's "happy place".

Exactly.  Just get a miniplug and solder a 1k or so load resistor on each channel.  Measure noise level (or even noise spectrum) with various gain settings, and with and without plug in power enabled.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 04:27:59 PM »
http://www.tascam.com/products/dr-07;9,12,3715,19.html

The manual says: S/N ratio (LINE IN>/LINE OUT) 87 dB or more
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »
Taperwheeler let me know where you find the "unity" setting as I have heard it called.  I think i am too inexperienced to test that yet.  people talking about 1k resistors and whatnot  :P.  anyway glad there is a thread on this cause i'm interested in finding out more.  i just looked very quickly and saw that it was supposed to be the small version of the dr-01 and bought it.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 06:09:01 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,122307.0.html

Schoeps m/s> NBox+> DR-07.  Not a comp, but it's something.  You'll notice some background "noise" heavier in the right channel - that's a large fan they had to keep the room from turning into a sweatbox.  I wanted to turn it off, but the manager wouldn't let me.

A few more:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,122441.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,122547.0.html
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 03:14:28 PM by Craig T »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,122307.0.html

Schoeps m/s> NBox+> DR-07.  Not a comp, but it's something.  You'll notice some background "noise" heavier in the right channel - that's a large fan they had to keep the room from turning into a sweatbox.  I wanted to turn it off, but the manager wouldn't let me.

The fan noise is noticible and highlights a good point.  In most situations that I know I'll be taping, the external noise is going to assuredly be much louder than any internal noise from the pre (quiet, acoustic stuff maybe no). 

Gonna fiddle around within the next couple days to find my guesstimation on the units unity.  Will post for shits-n-giggles.

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
^^ Taperwheeler just wondering your results on the unity test.  :)

Offline pvs

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DR-07 16GB Kingston 4 HCSD
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
I just wanted to pass the word that I tried using a 16GB Kingston 4 HCSD which is one of the two recommended cards for the DR-07 in my system that is running version 1.01 0017 and the Tascam could not format the card.  I then bought the recommended SanDisk Ultra II 4 16GB card and it works well.  I don't know if this is an isolated incident or not but I thought I would pass along the info.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 10:23:18 AM »
I've experienced the Tascam small recorders failing to format several flash
cards that work fine in other recorders.  I work around the problem by
formatting the card first in a PC.  Then the Tascam seems to be able to
recognize and properly use the card.  Still, it's a pain.

Flintstone

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »
Ran the dr-07 last night for the first time pulling an analog recording at Phish. Very happy with the device!  Couple comments....

First off, I run the 4.7k modded at933 mics.  These mics typically lack a bit on the deep end but are fairly light.  Paired with the dr-07, which seems to be a bit dark, really meshed well imho.

Second, ran line-in running my AT933/853SC>CA 9100>DR-07.  It was very loud from my seat, so I know it was a high spl situation.  To get my levels maxxing at -10db or so, had the 9100 at full gain and dr-07 at 6.  Seems like line-in could handle a very hot input.   

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »
-6 seems to be where to set your levels.  when i go to the 8x10 which is a club that you can only patch into house mics, i set mine at -6 also.  you thinking -6 is unity?

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 06:46:57 PM »
-6 seems to be where to set your levels.  when i go to the 8x10 which is a club that you can only patch into house mics, i set mine at -6 also.  you thinking -6 is unity?

It seems to be about right.  I am curious to see how it runs via mic in...especially with the various gain settings.

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 09:22:20 AM »
Tascam has a firmware update found: http://www.tascam.com/products/dr-07;9,12,3715,19.html

Biggest change looks to be an enhancement of low end freq's thru the mic input thru an added filter function.

Offline acidtech

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »
i just bought this about 2 weeks ago taken it out to a ween show and ratdog last night in los angeles and both those turned out fine in my opinion i dont see any problems using it pretty straight-forward how it works just a pain you cant lock the rec. levels

Offline eric66

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 04:54:38 AM »
I personally prefer this rec.level wheel, with a little tape
over it you can lock this wheel as well.

Offline deadahead93

• Taperssection Member
    • Archive.org
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 02:12:48 PM »
I have pulled some good shows with the 07...

My first couple shows were CS Cards with no PRE, directly into the MIC IN of the 07. Everything came out great.

Now, last week, did RatDog with a new set up...
SuperLux w/ Hyper Caps > Nady DMP-2 http://yhst-38616620066226.stores.yahoo.net/dbdmp-2.html > DR-07
The results... Not too good. I think I ran all the levels too high. The acoustic start to the second set came out great but when they were rockin... very distorted ( I will post samples soon)  :'(

Now, from what I read in this thread http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=78663.0%3Ball  , it may be the Phantom power or it may be "You get what you pay for". I will be using this set up again for UM next week, but this time I will probably run the Card Caps instead of the Hyper Caps. Going to also turn all my levels down  ;)

Looking forward to buying a LittleBox soon!
http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22HClayton%22

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
 ~ Jerry Garcia

Mics: AKG  C480B / (CK61, CK63)
Cables: GAKables
Preamp: Naiant Biggest Box
Recorder: Tascam DR-07

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 03:11:23 PM »
The DR-07 is currently on sale for $169.00, both in Canada and the US.

Canada: http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=2936

US: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-DR07-Handheld-Digital-Recorder?sku=580037

I think this is a steal for a great little recorder.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 01:29:08 PM »
I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find how much plug-in power it gives?  Anybody know?  I see that some here have ran mics straight in w/good results.  Wondering if my 4.7k mod at mics will run smoothly w/out a bb or pre.

Thanks..

Offline cunger

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
I went to SoundPro's website on Monday and placed the order ($139, with the warranty, and power adapter, $207, no taxes, no shipping) Was very excited! Site said it would be shipped in 3-5 days. Thought I'd get it this week or early next week. No rush, but you know how it is, you order something you want it NOW to play!
 Went back to the site later in the afternoon to check status, saw a popup stating some orders placed between 11/9 and 11/11 will be shipped on 11/12!! DAMNIT!  :)

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
How much record time can you get with the DR-07?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Zeti

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 04:19:13 AM »
Haha, cunger, I am also playing the waiting game. Just hoping the UPS Airmail can fly straight into my city tomorrow!

I'm interested to know if I actually need to pick up a preamp unit for this box. I mean, it could never hurt, right?

Offline Tthip

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »
How much record time can you get with the DR-07?

Tascam's website states they have tested a 16gb card.
So if I get about 3 hours (16/44.1) on my 2gb - I would assume 24 hours.
And I believe I saw someone here getting at least 6 hours out of their batteries.

Offline deadahead93

• Taperssection Member
    • Archive.org
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 01:40:31 PM »
Just a quick question on this reply...

Do you mean 6 on the record level dial, or -6 when reading your levels... Sorry for the stupid question   ???

~ Jerry Garcia

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 02:32:15 PM »
that is what i set the dial to.

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:30 PM »
Does the dr-07 stop recording at 2G, or does it automatically start a new file (seamlessly)?

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 10:00:38 PM »
Does the dr-07 stop recording at 2G, or does it automatically start a new file (seamlessly)?

It starts a new file seamlessly.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 06:13:12 AM »
^ Thanks.

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 01:03:54 PM »
Was hoping Tascam would update the 07 to allow 96khz sampling.  I believe the DR-01 did?  I wonder if the new Tascam DR-08 will keep that from happening?

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2010, 12:20:11 PM »
just picked a dr-07 up on musician's friend for 169.00, not bad if you ask me.  it will be the successor to my jb3, seems like a next logical step.  ill report back after next weekend.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline jagraham

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »
any info on where to get a 16GB SD card onsale?
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »
http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-16gb-secure-digital-high-capacity-sdhc-card-class-4-kingston/q/loc/101/206865168.html

I used the 8 gig version of this same card with no problems in a DR-07 last week.  It will take about a week to be delivered though.  It's free shipping but it's a UPS/USPS combo shipping so it takes a little longer.

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »
Also be aware that the unit can be a lil' quirky with cards.  Somewhere theres a post about formatting.  I think you need to use the PC first or something like that if the unit gives you grief.

Mine acted funny on a card but works fine now. 

Offline jagraham

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 07:48:58 PM »
got mine by UPS today.  trying it out tomorrow so ill update then.  seems pretty straightforward.  anyone have an opinion on running rec level on 10 and adjusting with gain from a pre(using ca-11s>stc-9000) vs running the rec level lower with a higher level or more gain from the pre?  either way, this sure seems like a step up from the JB3 interface.

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2010, 09:08:09 AM »
Not sure the sensitivity of the ca-11's but have found running my unit with low sensitivity modded at853's with a ca-9100 in-between going line in that I need all of the preamp's juice and still run my levels on the tascam between 6-8 even in very loud situations.  I would suggest that you try to do some home testing before the field.  A general rule of thumb, your preamp is supplying cleaner gain than the onboard pre.  As long as you aren't sending an overloading signal, I say get as much from the external preamp as you can, less from the recorder.  Your 9000 gives you a bit more gain than the 9100, I believe so you may be able to get more from the external a bit less from the dr-07.

got mine by UPS today.  trying it out tomorrow so ill update then.  seems pretty straightforward.  anyone have an opinion on running rec level on 10 and adjusting with gain from a pre(using ca-11s>stc-9000) vs running the rec level lower with a higher level or more gain from the pre?  either way, this sure seems like a step up from the JB3 interface.

Offline jagraham

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »
thats what i was thinking.  another factor is that this is an "in the pocket" recording so levels would probably be more consistent like that as well.  glad you got this thread up and going so i have all the info i need right here.

has anyone confirmed the problem stated above with running 24bit?  is there any reason not to run 24bit(never done it before)?  i know thats for a different forum but just wondering if there are any recorder-specific reasons not to.

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »
I have always run 24bit but no i have not heard anything more about it.  Dsatz would probably know but i wouldn't bother him with a question like that.  on another note i only run open and i like to be able to see my levels at all times.  this takes some serious battery power.  i have found that http://www.staples.com/Lenmar-PowerPort-USB-Portable-Charger-and-Battery-Pack-Black/product_723709?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Technology%3EBatteries-_-723709-PPU2100B gives lots of power.  i didn't get it from here i think i spent 25 on mine.  it works great for festivals when you don't want to turn off your recorder.  the dr-07 goes from external to internal power without skipping a beat so you can use it as a very big external or as a solution to change batteries mid set without losing power.  now i just need to find a right angle power adapter to have it fit nicer in my bag.  I also use this battery to store my gaffers tape.  fits two 2" rolls around it.  this also saves some room.  ;)

has anyone confirmed the problem stated above with running 24bit?  is there any reason not to run 24bit(never done it before)?  i know thats for a different forum but just wondering if there are any recorder-specific reasons not to.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:20:38 AM by crazifyngers »

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »
What 24 bit problems?  Haven't heard or experienced anything.

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:52 AM »
^^taper I think he was referring to this.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »

This is not entirely correct.  Let's take the 87 dB SNR at face value, and assume it's a limitation imposed by the pre-digital-conversion bits of the circuitry.  There's a rule of thumb (and yes, I realize rules of thumb aren't always exactly correct - in fact they hardly ever are, but they're often in the ballpark) that to keep the next component in an audio chain from adding audibly to the noise floor, it should have a SNR 10dB better than the signal being fed into it.  (Again, I am not asserting that 10dB is the right number for all situation, nor that 10.1 dB makes a system transparent and 9.9dB makes it a hissy mess.)  So, in theory, there might be some benefit to having more than 96dB (16 bit) available to encode an incoming signal with an SNR of 87 dB.  Although odds are the signals coming in from your mics aren't that clean, especially at a noisy rock concert venue.

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
^^ exactly what i was wondering before.  thanks for clearing that up.

Offline paytoplay

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 09:29:31 AM »
So around 6 on record level and it wont add or remove gain?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 11:16:29 AM »

This is not entirely correct.  Let's take the 87 dB SNR at face value, and assume it's a limitation imposed by the pre-digital-conversion bits of the circuitry.  There's a rule of thumb (and yes, I realize rules of thumb aren't always exactly correct - in fact they hardly ever are, but they're often in the ballpark) that to keep the next component in an audio chain from adding audibly to the noise floor, it should have a SNR 10dB better than the signal being fed into it.  (Again, I am not asserting that 10dB is the right number for all situation, nor that 10.1 dB makes a system transparent and 9.9dB makes it a hissy mess.)  So, in theory, there might be some benefit to having more than 96dB (16 bit) available to encode an incoming signal with an SNR of 87 dB.  Although odds are the signals coming in from your mics aren't that clean, especially at a noisy rock concert venue.

Single number noise is not telling anything about frequency and character of a particular deck's performance.  So same noise figure for one deck can be very audible, or color a recording, while another model with exact same noise number can be audibly noise less.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »
So around 6 on record level and it wont add or remove gain?

Gain levels adjustment are internal.  Click Menu and then scroll down.  I believe its under Recording settings.  The outside level wheel is providing volume control input, no gain.

Offline paytoplay

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2010, 01:57:06 PM »
I see. But then I still dont understand what is "unity" and how to control the recording after it.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »
I see. But then I still dont understand what is "unity" and how to control the recording after it.

"Unity" is meaningless for a Tascam DR-07 or DR-1.  You can't adjust the incoming signal on the Line In at all.  Zilch.     

Offline deadahead93

• Taperssection Member
    • Archive.org
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2010, 12:04:48 PM »
"Unity" is meaningless for a Tascam DR-07 or DR-1.  You can't adjust the incoming signal on the Line In at all.  Zilch.

Not sure I'm following you... When I have my PRE going into the Line In of my Tascam 07 I adjust my recording wheel and it seems to adjust the incoming signal.

I don't want you to to think I am questioning you, I just don't understand what you mean.
Thanks for any info to point me in the right direction.

~ Jerry Garcia

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
I'm considering picking up one of these but had a few questions:

Any recommendations for rechargeable AA's?  I haven't used any since I moved from DAT to JB3 years ago so I doubt the ones I have are ideal.

Has anyone used an external battery for extended festival recording?

Media:  Tascam lists SDHC cards ranging from Class 2 to Class 6 being used successfully.  Has anyone seen issues using slower-rated (and therefore less expensive) cards?
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
i have used a "usb batter pack"  these last for a LONG time, but i never ran any timed tests.  any battery will work, i had a GAK right angle cable made so that it was a little prettier.  good luck

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »
You know the old Sony PSP video game handheld? Yeah, I had one. The external batteries you could buy for them fit the DR-07 exactly and put out the same power. The old PSP power adapter also works and is spec'd the same as the way more expensive Tascam one. I have this battery and it works for a pretty long time: http://cgi.ebay.com/PSP-Powerdock-Datel-backup-battery-20-hours-/350320601001?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item5190bc27a9

Of course you will need a charger for this battery- it doesn't come with one, but those should be easy to find too.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
Any thoughts about the DR-07 vs the DR-08? I don't do a ton of recording, but I'm looking to move away from my current MD setup to something lossless with flash media. The 07 looks like an amazing deal (around $140 now), but I'm wondering if the 08 is worth the extra money. I'm also wondering how much longer the 07 will be available.

Does anyone know if the problems using dynamic mics with the 07 were addressed in a firmware update? Or if it is also an issue with the 08? You can hear an example of the problem here.

Also, there seemed to be some concern that the input on the 07 was actually *better* than on the 08. Thoughts?

The 96k recording on the 08 would be nice, but at this point I'm not sure how often I'd even use that. And I'm not too concerned with the built-in mics on either; any recording will likely be from external mics or a line (board) source.

Thanks.

Offline NSL

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
What rechargeable batteries/chargers work well with the DR-07?  I'm looking into purchasing some good ones if there are some that work well with this recorder. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:06:48 PM by concordniners »
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2010, 12:46:34 PM »
Any thoughts about the DR-07 vs the DR-08? I don't do a ton of recording, but I'm looking to move away from my current MD setup to something lossless with flash media. The 07 looks like an amazing deal (around $140 now), but I'm wondering if the 08 is worth the extra money. I'm also wondering how much longer the 07 will be available.

Does anyone know if the problems using dynamic mics with the 07 were addressed in a firmware update? Or if it is also an issue with the 08? You can hear an example of the problem here.

Also, there seemed to be some concern that the input on the 07 was actually *better* than on the 08. Thoughts?

The 96k recording on the 08 would be nice, but at this point I'm not sure how often I'd even use that. And I'm not too concerned with the built-in mics on either; any recording will likely be from external mics or a line (board) source.

Thanks.

Does anybody have thoughts on this? It looks like Full Compass no longer stocks the DR-07, but the DR-08 is down to $156. B&H has the DR-07 for $100, but Full Compass is local to me and B&H isn't.

Any thoughts on interface differences?

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »

Thanks.

Does anybody have thoughts on this? It looks like Full Compass no longer stocks the DR-07, but the DR-08 is down to $156. B&H has the DR-07 for $100, but Full Compass is local to me and B&H isn't.

Any thoughts on interface differences?

I know everyone has different tastes. When I go Low Pro, I like to use my MT2496. Others hate it, but it is my favorite. I have an Olympus LS-10, and I have a Tascam DR-07. I could never find a use for the DR-07, so I recently purchased a DR-08 due to it's size, and I put the DR-07 up for sale on ebay. I really do not need the DR-08, but it was so small, I basically talked my self into swapping the DR-08 for the DR-07. ;D

And it is small. It makes the LS-10 seem large.

That said, I still will use my MT for my low pro needs, but the DR-08 will likely be my traveling, "throw it in the suitcase" deck.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »
I know everyone has different tastes. When I go Low Pro, I like to use my MT2496. Others hate it, but it is my favorite. I have an Olympus LS-10, and I have a Tascam DR-07. I could never find a use for the DR-07, so I recently purchased a DR-08 due to it's size, and I put the DR-07 up for sale on ebay. I really do not need the DR-08, but it was so small, I basically talked my self into swapping the DR-08 for the DR-07. ;D

And it is small. It makes the LS-10 seem large.

That said, I still will use my MT for my low pro needs, but the DR-08 will likely be my traveling, "throw it in the suitcase" deck.

Thanks for that. I don't record that frequently, so it is hard to justify spending a bunch...

Question on the DR-08: can the record level be set while recording? Or only in standby? The manual seems to imply only in standby, but I don't see a specific note indicating it can't be set while recording.

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
Question on the DR-08: can the record level be set while recording? Or only in standby? The manual seems to imply only in standby, but I don't see a specific note indicating it can't be set while recording.

I picked up 2 of these today, so I'll answer my own question. You can set the levels while recording as well, not just in standby.

Offline Funkyman3121

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Great thread! Loads of info for me in this thread!!
I recently bought the Tascam DR-07 and right now I am waiting on my SP mic and batterybox.
I hope when I have some questions, some nice souls will answer them.

Newbie! 8)

Offline disco

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • learning as I go
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2010, 02:38:03 PM »
i picked up one of these this past summer so that I could have two seperate complete mic chains. For most things I do prefer the m10, but esp for any line in taping. I've run a few shows where I had my CA14->CA9100->DR07 & SBD->M10, then I'd switch recorders at setbreak for an A/B. I noticed very little difference with the CA14 setup when swapping recorders but I did notice a big difference in clarity when using the m10 vs. the dr07 for line in. I greatly prefer the m10 line in. Just thought I'd toss in a bit of the experience of having both.
CA-14 (c,o)->9100, Littlebox->M10 or DR-07

Offline Funkyman3121

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »
Yesterday I went to see a Doors coverband in Schiedam (Netherlands) and I decided to bring my Tascam together with my SP-BMC-2 mics. I tested my batterybox (SP-SPSB-11) at home with it but I couldn't get it to work. I guess the battery is empty, because I couldn't get any levels while recording line in. So I decided to record with the mic in and power on, gain low, filters off and recording level 6.
The bar the band was playing in was very small, crowded and filled with loads of drunk people. My postion was 3 meters away from the stage.
I guess with the batterybox the result would have been better.............
Here's a sample mp3 (3,69 MB)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KUHC3300

Any feedback,  positive or negative is welcomed!

newbie :'(

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:03:20 PM by Funkyman3121 »

Offline sec1968

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2010, 12:23:33 PM »
After borrowing a friend's DR-07 for a couple SBD uses, I got my own last week, for $129 & free shipping off Ebay. I'll test this out AUD wise sometime down the road, but mainly this will get used as my SBD recorder when that option arises.

shane
tapersec1968 (at) gmail.com

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/sec1968

Offline taperted

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • Brainfroot Productions
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2011, 05:50:41 PM »
dumb question. How do i get auto levels when doing a sbd recording to the line in. Not sure if its possible but i always have to use the dial on the side. I feel totally duh on this as I hjave been taping for 11 years now haha. Just got this deck for sbd patching and cant seem to figure this out. Thanks guys!!!
~ted
Aud:AKG C3000B-> Edirol UA-5 D-Mod-> Optical-> NJB3 or Sony MZ-NH1
Aud:Studio Projects C4-> Edirol UA-5 D-Mod-> OPtical-> NJB3 or Sony MZ-NH1
Aud: Patch set up RS A/D-> RS c/o converter-> Sony MZ-NF610
Digi Cam: Sony DSC-P93
Mini DV: Panasonic PVGS31

Live Recordings- http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Ted%20Hissin

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »
Not sure I'm following you... When I have my PRE going into the Line In of my Tascam 07 I adjust my recording wheel and it seems to adjust the incoming signal.

I don't want you to to think I am questioning you, I just don't understand what you mean.
Can I get some clarification on this?

Is it true? Can you not set any gain when using the Line In? So you would basically have to have an external pre-amp to use the Line In, right? Or hope and pray that the input levels from the mic are neither too high nor too low?

So what function does the 'volume control wheel' perform? Is it just the equivalent of an amplify that you would do on a computer at home in Audition or Audacity? Is this the same in with mic and line in? Is the only way to add gain with the Mic in to go into the menu and do it?

How does this compare to the DR08? Can you use gain on Line In like you can with the Edirol 09?

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »
How does this compare to the DR08? Can you use gain on Line In like you can with the Edirol 09?

I have a DR-08, so I can help there. The gain is set on the screen via the front buttons. That leads me to believe it is happening after the A/D conversion, which IMO makes it less than useful. Also worth noting that the DR-08 can't handle very hot line level signals. A pad or volume control of some sort may be necessary in some circumstances.

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »

Is it true? Can you not set any gain when using the Line In? So you would basically have to have an external pre-amp to use the Line In, right? Or hope and pray that the input levels from the mic are neither too high nor too low?

So what function does the 'volume control wheel' perform? Is it just the equivalent of an amplify that you would do on a computer at home in Audition or Audacity? Is this the same in with mic and line in? Is the only way to add gain with the Mic in to go into the menu and do it?

Line in does not go through a preamp. The purpose of a Line In input is for a source that does not need to be amplified like a SBD source or coming from another preamp. The wheel on the side only attenuates the signal. If you need gain and don't have another preamp, you will need to go mic in.

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »

Line in does not go through a preamp. The purpose of a Line In input is for a source that does not need to be amplified like a SBD source or coming from another preamp. The wheel on the side only attenuates the signal. If you need gain and don't have another preamp, you will need to go mic in.
I realise that, but my understanding is that on the Edirol R-09 the pre-amp can still be used even when going line in (just at a much lower level than mic in), hence all the discussion about finding the Unity Gain level on the R-09 when running line in. IE, I'm sure I've read that the ideal procedure for the R-09 is: go line in with external pre, set Edirol to unity gain, adjust amplification on external pre, and if more amplification is needed bump up the Edirol's gain after the external. From that I assumed that you could in fact access the pre from the Line In of the R-09, just at a much lower level.

Or am I mistaken in that too?

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »

I realise that, but my understanding is that on the Edirol R-09 the pre-amp can still be used even when going line in (just at a much lower level than mic in), hence all the discussion about finding the Unity Gain level on the R-09 when running line in. IE, I'm sure I've read that the ideal procedure for the R-09 is: go line in with external pre, set Edirol to unity gain, adjust amplification on external pre, and if more amplification is needed bump up the Edirol's gain after the external. From that I assumed that you could in fact access the pre from the Line In of the R-09, just at a much lower level.

Sorry, I don't know about the Edirol. I haven't used it. I have used the Tascam though. It may be possible on Edirol, but I don't know.

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »

Sorry, I don't know about the Edirol. I haven't used it. I have used the Tascam though. It may be possible on Edirol, but I don't know.
Fair enough. Either way, judging from your post and those of others, it's clearly not possible on any of the Tascam's, which is what I was trying to find out originally  :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.243 seconds with 102 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com