Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom R16 8 track recorder.....  (Read 20154 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Zoom R16 8 track recorder.....
« on: December 04, 2009, 08:43:59 AM »
picked on up from B&H photo last week ($399 shipped).

first impressions..., as I have not used it much.

- not nearly as intuitive.  I actually need to refer to the manual, A LOT.
- decently built.  plastic, but thick plastic.
- 5v 1amp DC input, or 6xAA batteries...or USB power (limited in the boards use when powered by USB, its not full featured).
- on board omni's sound fine as "room mics" to mix w/the rest of the inputs.
- preamps on chan 5/6 where the only 48v phantom option exists are not as terrible as I expected.  Not dead quiet, but very usable.  On par w/the stock preamps on any of the decks we use normally, I'd say.
- Definitely not a "field deck" that I'd want in a pile w/other gear.   In certain situations where you can lay it on a table and "do it right", it would kick ass.  But dont think something like this is going to be a suitable replacement for any 4 or 8 channel field recorder.

I have a lot more goofin' to do with this.  I purchased it for the band so that we could multi-track our rehearsals...start getting good w/this board and then produce our own demo...as nicely as we can.  So far, so good.  We'll get it rockin next week once we plug everything into it.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Zoom R16 8 track recorder.....
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »
Thanks for the info. Nick. Keep us posted on this. I have been thinking of picking one up and am interested in your experience with it.
Take Care

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
Lots of discussion on that device at http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=17

kirk97132

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »
Nick,  Thanx for review.  Have you tried running outboard preamps with it yet?  Am I reading this right that only channel 5 & 6 have phantom 48?  Keep post results, I've been eyeballing this for awhile and am very interested in how it performs and what a taper thinks about it!  Thanx again, Kirk

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:26:28 PM »
Having only two phantom powered mic preamps is probably the chief limitation of this device, but at the price that's hardly surprising.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:59:13 AM »
but its not really a limitation...
you have to think about the market that this was created for, and basement hobbyists are not running U47 vocal mics.  they are running dynamics...and those plug in just fine with the other 6 channels.  Also, running instruments directly....., which does not require phantom as you know.
so when you think about a good little $400 device to record a 4 piece band with, micing everything you can and trying to get it all with one take..., it works out just fine.  the only condensers used would be a pair in front of the drum kit any way, and even that can be done just fine with dynamic mics.

Live, shit.., its great.  a pair of room mics, and then direct feeds from the instruments + kick and snare.  its the tits.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:00:52 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:10:48 AM »
fwiw.., its stock preamps sound like this:
LSD2 blumlein in the center of the room, w/the band in a wide U shape around it.  the mic was centered on the drum kit.  bass was off to the left, guitar on the right.., my amp was also on the left, but picked up by the right out of phase channel of that F-o-8 ..so it sounds more on the right but OOP.
any way, this is what the preamps sound like.  this was done at 24/44.1.  this file is just a short clip for downloading ease.
http://www.nippinthenub.com/mp3/track05.flac

kirk97132

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »
fwiw.., its stock preamps sound like this:
LSD2 blumlein in the center of the room, w/the band in a wide U shape around it.  the mic was centered on the drum kit.  bass was off to the left, guitar on the right.., my amp was also on the left, but picked up by the right out of phase channel of that F-o-8 ..so it sounds more on the right but OOP.
any way, this is what the preamps sound like.  this was done at 24/44.1.  this file is just a short clip for downloading ease.
http://www.nippinthenub.com/mp3/track05.flac

Nick how about an opinion of what the stock pre's sound like compared to R-44, HD-P2, R-09, MTx.  I'd actually like to hear what you think.  It looks like you've run enough different gear to give some good feedback.  I guess what I'm leading up to is.....I've been looking at this (r-16) for awhile.  ANd I was thinking I could sell my R-44 and with the cash buy a Big Box 4 channel pre and the R-16 to end up with 8 channels of recording.  I already have a SD MP_2 and a BMP2+ UA-5 so I'd end up with 8 good pre amps.  In your opinion and I know it's just an opinion will this compare to the R-44?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 03:52:33 PM »
i dont know..., they are all so close to each other.  it doesn't sound all too far off from the stock channels of my r44.  maybe a little brighter..., not sure.
I wouldn't use this as a field recorder in a tapers section.  no hold button, no way to protect the vast array of buttons , knobs, faders..etc.

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 04:03:28 PM »
Ah, well I can see that and agree.  For me it is so rare that I do that type of recording anymore.  I just keep getting pulled in by 8 tracks of sync'ed recording.  And if the stock pre amps are run at unity with decent preamps in front of it......well you see where I'm going.  Thanks for feedback so far.  keep us posted on the pros/cons that you run across.  As far as I have seen you are one of the first tapers with one of these. 

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »
i dont know..., they are all so close to each other.  it doesn't sound all too far off from the stock channels of my r44.  maybe a little brighter..., not sure.
I wouldn't use this as a field recorder in a tapers section.  no hold button, no way to protect the vast array of buttons , knobs, faders..etc.

I'd like to know:
1. Powering options (wall adapter, yes, but what is the spec, in particuar, AC or DC.  AC is a trick to get a split supply inside, but makes it harder to power in the field.)

2. A picture of the *guts*.  I'd like to know what opamps/ADC converters are used, and
if it would be possible to mod the thing!!!

Anyway, thanks for trying it out.  Nice to hear new gear...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

kirk97132

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »
From Same Day Music site:
Battery operation for remote recording

USB power for studio operation

and if I remember correctly Gear Slutz discussion talked about DC field power.  And with a USB power couldn't an adaptor be used?  I can't remember what voltage it takes.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »
From Same Day Music site:
Battery operation for remote recording

USB power for studio operation

and if I remember correctly Gear Slutz discussion talked about DC field power.  And with a USB power couldn't an adaptor be used?  I can't remember what voltage it takes.
If it is entirely USB powered, then that is great.  5V @ either 0.5 or 1.0A maximum (not sure which).  There are lots of battery options to power a USB device.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 05:10:36 PM »
it can run via USB, but it only powers certain functions of the board, and "needs" a computer and software to run it that way.
Otherwise, its 5v 1amp DC input...or 6xAA.

next time I have it at home I'll pop the hood and snap some pics.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »
Any updates on this, Nick?
Thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com