Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom R16 8 track recorder.....  (Read 20157 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Zoom R16 8 track recorder.....
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2010, 07:34:54 AM »
ok, chalk it up to me being stupid ?
:)  I can live w/that.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »
Nah, you just got a little turned around in the discussion. I appreciate your comments, didn't you start this topic to begin with? Since I'm interested in this unit, I'm glad to hear back from somebody who has used one.

I know that it will be missing some of the features a higher priced unit will have. I don't expect it to replace studio gear or anything like that. I'm just after six or eight tracks of reasonable/listenable quality. The R16 sounds like it will do that if you are willing to work with its limitations. For as little as I'll use it, its probably the best deal for me.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2010, 09:08:31 AM »
I have  not really found any limitations to the deck that have come into play with how we use it in the band.
sub group out from the main mixer (8 chans is what our board can put out from its 32chan), and those 8 go right into the Zoom.  we dont need phantom power in our studio as we use all dynamic mics for everything and run the instruments direct into the board when possible.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »
From last Thurs:
http://nickspicks.com/mp3/mullet-kings.mp3
two songs, segue from one to the next.

a little distorted w/the kick drum (too hot), and I didn't mix the vocals as high as I wanted..but this is what I have for a rough mix.  Still enjoying this deck for our multi-tracking of practices.  Will be using it live next Sat. for the first time.  Private party ...., our first gig w/the new bass player.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:42:45 AM by Nick's Picks »

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2010, 01:28:53 PM »
Stupid.NAH.  A little confused, well maybe but then again I get confused easily in my old age 8)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »
Stupid.NAH.  A little confused, well maybe but then again I get confused easily in my old age 8)

Don't feel lonely about that!
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

kirk97132

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 03:46:12 PM »

Don't feel lonely about that!
Lonely about what ::)

kirk97132

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
I have  not really found any limitations to the deck that have come into play with how we use it in the band.
sub group out from the main mixer (8 chans is what our board can put out from its 32chan), and those 8 go right into the Zoom.  we dont need phantom power in our studio as we use all dynamic mics for everything and run the instruments direct into the board when possible.

Really do appreciate all the feedback you've given Nick.  Even though it seems I won't be able to give up my R-44 I am still very interested in this.  It is just so hard to dismiss the 8 track recording ability at this price. 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2010, 07:40:16 AM »
we had some good takes last night.  when I'm finished mixing I"ll post another sample.  we are still ironing out this unit, and every time we use it the product gets better.  we just need isolation w/the vocals and we're in business.  we need a headphone distribution box to really do things right.  private monitors to sing with..etc.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 09:31:23 AM »
http://nippinthenub.com/mp3/2010-01-14-PRACTICE/

take your pic.  they're all very decent.
props to "John the Mullet" / Peacock / The Scoundrel / Kings Displeasure / Maggies Farm / Groovin' ....
fun stuff.   my isolation tricks worked well.   within a month, we'll have this deck mastered and will start using the sub-bank of 8 more channels to record on top of 8 previous (it is a 16 track recorder, but limited to 8 per session).

we are buying a headphone distribution amp and 4 pans of cans ....and then we will be producing our own demo / album.
F' da man and his high priced studio time.  they dont know they are dealing with TS.com !
:)

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
You go boy!!!

kirk97132

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 05:53:45 PM »
Keep the reviews coming Nick.   Especially with Tascam's new 8 track recorder @ $1K I am getting so very very confused. 

Question Nick....I know you said you thought the pre's might be a little "brighter" than the R-44's.  Is that a little of a high end bump?  Have you tried runnin any condensers into it, or more specifically have you run any mics with an external preamp into?  What I'm wondering is what the pres sound like at unity.  We'll actually I'm hoping at unity they don't color the sound.   Thanks again, Kirk

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 11:00:02 PM »
i think the units stock preamps are decent.  Excellent, no.  but you get what you pay for.
they sound better than a stock UA5.   I like it better than many stock preamps in the decks we use.
I run several condensers into it.  Usually for drum overheads and spot mics.   And in this regard, when you're using one, or two (different mics at that), its hard to determine coloration in the sound based on our use.  Overall, I'd say they are relatively clean, but with a higher than you'd want to see on paper noise floor.  Which could be an issue in a really controlled environment, but I"m suspecting not an issue for us (thus far) as our studio is less than "isolated" as we would want it in a real pro setting.  IN a booth, you can run a preamp very, very quiet.  To the point where "noise" isn't an issue, even with a less than quality preamp.  Its about eliminating the noise floor, which allows you to run a preamp very softly.

You tell me.  When you listen to this stuff, does it sound colored?
this last mix I posted is clean of all effects, compression...etc.  All the common tricks of the trade when it comes to getting that pro sounding mix.
I have not had an instance of need to run outboard preamps and run it at line level input.  The stock ones are fine for what we do, and I can only use condensers on two chan's any way.., which is two preamps at my disposal should I need them.

the "line level" inputs are coming off of the main board, so those are going through the preamps (though with dynamics) on that board...which are decent.  Its Berringers top of the line Europower 32chan board.  Passive.   The preamps are the best Berringer has, but certainly not A&H quality.  Again, you get what you pay for.  The Zoom has no trouble w/any signal fed to it.  No such thing as "too hot".  And there is a hi/low Z selection on one channel for plugging instruments direct if needed.  Again, we run direct into the big board, and sub groups out from there to the Zoom.

Since i've been recording our practices..., these pulls w/the stock zoom have been far superior to anything else down there.., which previously would have been the R44 with two stock channels getting an unmixable RCA stereo feed from the main mixer, and two Cmod channels to run either my LSD2/Pulsars or Scheops when I had them.   We made great pulls w/that, but not nearly as flexible as what the zoom offers, and it does not sound bad.

As you listen to the samples, anything offensive you hear is far more likely to be caused by pilot error in mixing/mastering.   
Learning curve...Like I said.
for example..., those 8 inputs need to be QUITE..., peaking at maybe -12 in 24bit.  Maybe.  And even then, I still often find myself dropping the overall gain by 5-10db on top of the low level inputs that were recorded.
Because..., after you adjust their individual gain (like a virtual mixer..think of it as the fader), and pan instruments where I want them..., add a little compression to the drum kit..., if I mix and render them even after all that reduction in signal db, the resulting two tracks are always HOT.  And most times I have to go back and reduce the gain again by a few db until the end result comes out looking like a good 16bit file should look (with averages of -4 to -2db and an occasional peak of +2...., the deck is very forgiving when it comes to clipping.  You've got to really have it pegged to fuck it up.

My biggest complaint thus far is that the menu sucks.  I still need to consult the manual every time we want to try something different.

Tell you what though, Im learning all sorts of great instrument micing techniques.  Reading some, making up others.
for example.  we use one channel of my LSD2 as an over head.  We tried it in omni.  sounded very real..but too much bleed from the other instruments.  Tried it in card mode, much better...but it was still 3+ feet over the toms/cymbals.
Thursday, I rested the mic horizontally w/the top cap right between the two rack mounted toms.  I used a figure 8 on that one channel, w/the in phase lobe pointing left (snare, HH, left tom, left cymbals) and the left lobe , out of phase..picked up the right side of the kit from that 2nd tom, ride cymbals, blocks/bells and floor tom.  Separate condenser (pulsar II) on the kick.  Its the best sounding pull from the drum kit yet.
all about experimenting.  we learn  a lot every week about this deck.  And there is a lot to learn.  This thing is night and day compared to any of our usual suspect concert taping decks where the manual never gets opened as the decks are so intuitive.  But...the Zoom has a zillion more features as its a recorder secondly, and a mixer first and foremost.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:08:59 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »
^^^good stuff!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

kirk97132

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »
Thanks a lot Nick.  That was some really good stuff! and thanks a lot for letting me ask you the stupid questions and pick your brain.  As an outside observer to this, it looks like this is going to be a hard unit to beat for the price.   Even with other 8track recorders hitting the market this thing is 1/3 the price of it's competitors.  That will keep it an attractive alternative for a long time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com