Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR 07 mark 2  (Read 3034 times)

Offline wipeman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Tascam DR 07 mark 2
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »
Excuse me if there is a page on this forum anywhere, but I've just heard of this recorder and it sounds very interesting.
does anyone have one or do you know of any noise details or microphone frequency response charts?
all I really want from a recorder is an XY configuration built-in and a decent preamp for occasional running with a pair of EM 172 omni mics with plugin power. Battery life over 10 hours and using standard SD or micro SD cards. I'm recording music so a flattish frequency response down to 20 to 30Hz would be useful. Recorders intended as dictation machines tend not to have this.

This might tick the boxes but I wondered whether there are any gotchas or inherent flaws in this recorder (e.g. "Tascams are quite noisy" etc) and would value the experience of others who own one.

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
Re: Tascam DR 07 mark 2
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:49:19 PM »
Try contacting Tascam for the mic info. They are cardioid so it is unlikely they go down to 20, probably more like 40Hz. What type of music do you plan on recording--loud amplified rock, acoustic, school choir, etc? I can't speak for the performance of the mic preamp, but I would guess it is on par with many of the handhelds out there. People love the pre on the Sony M-10. The price point on these Tascam portables is great though. I have actually had to run mine as a backup recorder for loud rock, and it handled it pretty well. Here are 2 different shows but recorded from the same venue/band/location on consecutive nights--see how the Tascam mics compare to the DPAs:

http://www.archive.org/details/gpn2011-08-21.dpa4022.pmd661.cd2go.flac24

http://www.archive.org/details/gpn2011-08-22.dr07mkII.cd2go.flac24

Offline pinkfloydie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 07:44:14 PM »
What settings did you use for this gig, input level 0-90? -6db -12db?

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
What settings did you use for this gig, input level 0-90? -6db -12db?

I used manual recording with "0" input level, which gave me peaks around -8dB. If you are real close or recording a super loud source, I guess you could go over but I haven't experienced that yet.

Offline pinkfloydie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 08:09:41 PM »
I used it for the first time last week at a def leppard gig in Sydney. My settings were 24bit/96khz, - 6db, level 23. In post production boosting was a bit muffled in bass, so i left it as original. mics in xy position. Tonight going again to see def leppard in Newcastle, may use 24 bit, 48khz, -12db levels will adjust accordingly to keep it below -6db on the scales. Low cut off

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
Good on ya mate!  Keep us posted.  I've got the original DR-07 and have had great luck with it.  Just started using it with a Church Audio 9200 preamp and CA-14 external mics. 

-Rick (one time resident of the Mornington Peninsula in VIC)
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com