Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR-2 users?  (Read 29170 times)

Offline Stuart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Fostex FR-2 users?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2004, 09:36:57 PM »
Nope, whassat?  Like "Ministryvision"?  "KMFDMScope?"

Just kidding, I've never heard of it...

S. ;)

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2004, 09:41:52 PM »
I'm missing something here...

What recent "Muvo trick"?

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
we all live downstream.

BobW

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2004, 05:17:03 PM »
Nope, whassat?  Like "Ministryvision"?  "KMFDMScope?"

Just kidding, I've never heard of it...

S. ;)

Not to thread hijack....but......it's a very sick cable access show in the NYC area.
Montages of softcore with military and commercial training films with freaky low-budget Sci-Fi and College films.

Hard to describe it, very over the top.
I've found most people either love it or hate it.
It takes no prisoners and stands no middle ground.

That said, I'm going to B&H this week. Want to touch and feel an FR-2.
If it seems to hold it's ground, I'll probably buy it.  I have the HD and can do a 4 hour show with it. This may finally be the DAT replacement that I've been looking for.
I hope the A/D and Pre can hold their own.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 05:19:06 PM by BobW »

BobW

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2004, 05:22:23 PM »
I'm missing something here...

What recent "Muvo trick"?

Rick

Someone said something about pulling a MicroDrive from an MP3 Player.
Someone else has warned about proprietary firmware.
There's a link on pencomputing audio yahoo group.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2004, 07:40:59 PM »
SickRick wrote:
"From the spec sheet, it will only record up to 24/96 on a PCMCIA Hard Disk or CF.  Don't know why they even spec 24/192 if it won't record it."

I sent email to a contact at Fostex to ask about this.  I got a reply back from their technical staff within 4 hours (on a Sunday, no less).  The tech said

"This is a limitation of the PCMCIA drives, not the recorder. The current [Toshiba] drive is too slow for this data rate. The new drives just about to become available will have faster speeds and will allow 24/192 resolution."

This limitation does not apply to CF.  The Sandisk Ultra II card they recommend can handle a sustained high data rate.  

The Hitachi 4GB MicroDrive in Compactflash packaging (as found in the Creative Muvo2 for $195) can handle data faster than the 5GB Toshiba PCMCIA drive, so it may work for 24/192 recording.  Just speculation on my part.

Flintstone

BobW

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2004, 09:39:30 PM »
SickRick wrote:
The Hitachi 4GB MicroDrive in Compactflash packaging (as found in the Creative Muvo2 for $195) can handle data faster than the 5GB Toshiba PCMCIA drive, so it may work for 24/192 recording.  Just speculation on my part.

The Microdrive is very marginally faster, so I doubt it.

Mmm, new faster PCMCIA drives. That means even cheaper old drives, too.
The dream is becoming reality.   :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 09:40:59 PM by BobW »

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2004, 12:19:02 AM »
I dunno.  Being in the computer biz, I'm left with the impression that PCMCIA stuff is not going to be paid mush attention to in R&D, with solid state being given the nod as the next big think in removable storage.

The FR-2 is still a very viable system.  I'm eager to hear about the pre-A/D.  I could justify it to the wife, if I sell the V3.  It would certainly make the rig simpler.

But for storage, at least for what WE do here, it seems like another case of the cart before the horse.  Even though the media is re-usable, at current media sizes, you're still looking at 2:24 media (5GB@96/24).  Buy 2 and carry a laptop to do dumps with? 5GB  micro-drive and 4GB Compact Flash?  Wonder if it will switch between media on the fly?  Can you hotswap media while writing to the other one.

I can see doing 192/24 for sampling effects and whatnot for the broadcast/movie application.  Unless you're planning on doing DVD Audio, wouldn't a bitrate/density that high kinda be overkill when it's going to end up on a 44.1 CD anyway?  

I can even see recording multi-track at higher than 96/24, as you'll keep the definition in the mixdown process, before you dither down prior to mastering to CD.  But for the purposes of live open mike recording in a room, is ultrahigh rate/depth going to actually be a benefit, or a storage albatross?

Just thinking out loud...

Bob, I'm anxious to hear your impressions after playing with this (if they let you).  Bring 8 high capacity AA's with you, as it appears B&H doesn't have the "kit" that includes the wallwart in stock, nor do they have the wallwart as a seperate item.  Wish I had a pro audio shop down here that carried that item.

Rick
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 01:16:52 AM by sickrick43 »
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline Stuart

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2004, 12:24:24 PM »
Apparently one of the radio shack wall wart converters works with the FR-2.  I'll try to find out which one....

S.

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2004, 08:20:36 PM »
The tech support at Fostex e-mailed me and said that
one customer had found a plug that works at Rat Shack.
He said that it was the type D plug.  Looks like I'll be going
to the shack tomorrow to see.

>>Wonder if it will switch between media on the fly?  Can you hotswap >>media while writing to the other one.>>

I don't believe so.  The recorder has to be stopped recording to switch cards, even with two cards(CFC & PCMCIA) are loaded.   It takes about
5-6 seconds for the FR2 to load the card and begin recording.  

I'm testing mine for the first time tonight. Cant wait.

Callery
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2004, 10:29:37 PM »
The tech support at Fostex e-mailed me and said that
one customer had found a plug that works at Rat Shack.
He said that it was the type D plug.  Looks like I'll be going
to the shack tomorrow to see.

>>Wonder if it will switch between media on the fly?  Can you hotswap >>media while writing to the other one.>>

I don't believe so.  The recorder has to be stopped recording to switch cards, even with two cards(CFC & PCMCIA) are loaded.   It takes about
5-6 seconds for the FR2 to load the card and begin recording.  

I'm testing mine for the first time tonight. Cant wait.

Callery

I though you went "plug-testing" at RatShack already?  

Real eager to hear how you do tonight.

Still put off about what potential maxfilesize is on the recorder, and the lack of REAL BIG MEDIA (real big would be 10GB at this point) availability for this unit.

With alot of manufacturers talking about non-linear systems as the "next big thing" in portable recording, it's tought to decide whether to leap NOW, or hang back awhile and see what next quarter brings.

Rick

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2004, 01:19:54 AM »
I meant go BACK to radio shack to see.
I didn't find one that fit it, I thought, but If someone did
I guess I'll make one more trip.  My wife was with me & I was "trying" to hurry:-)

I recorded tonight schoeps mk41(din)>kc5>cmc6>oadem248>FR2(line in).
The Band was Trailer Bride from N. Carolina.  Well my 8xAA niMH (2300mah) died after about 1:15 min.  Mind you this was the first time these batteries had a full charge, and I stupidly left the light on the whole time.  This light will drain the batteries some.  I also ran line in at pretty
much the whole gain (~-27db/30db is max) and the m248 a little past 1/2
way.  There is a level input gain on the front panel of the FR2 and I ran that at about 4 (it goes 1-10) but my batteries are dead so I have to wait till tomorrow
to transfer it.  

I have sent an e-mail to Fostex to find out if the Line In uses a resistor circuit or straight gain circuit.  I ran the FR2 like it was a resistor circuit
by running it pretty hot going Line In.  The tech at fostex said he waould
consult with the engineers about the gain structure.  I'm sure running
the trim knob this high had something to do with the battery consumption.
Also, there is a Dealer on the web I found that has 12v plugs that terminate into CIG adapters, could be used for 12v sla cord.
http://www.equipmentemporium.com/fostex_fr-2_dig_rec.htm

More to come once I tranfer (incomplete) show.

callery

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2004, 10:57:52 PM »
Got an email about line in gain on the FR2, for those who plan
on using it as an A/D

"First, The mic in and line in go through the same
preamp. The line in simply applies -30dB pad.

The level dial provides 0 gain at scale 7 position.
If you set it max, it adds 10dB gain.

If you need to establish a unity gain whole way through
from line input, this is the setting;

Line In nominal level: +4dBu
Line/Mic SW: Line position
Trim Pot: hard left (+4 position)
Level dial: at scale 7

By doing so, the FR2 level meter indicates -20 ref level
and you can get -10dBV nominal level from unbalanced
line output."

still haven't transfered last nights ahow yet.

callery

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2004, 11:18:06 AM »
Callery, thanks for the research. Can this unit do 24/96 digital in? Assuming unlimited media, how long can you record a continuous file?

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Flarnet

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2004, 02:33:36 PM »
It would be great if you could try the Schoeps straight into the FR2 preamps on something extremely quiet running max gain. Just an empty livingroom in the middle of the night for instance. To get an idea about the built-in preamps for those of us who record quiet stuff.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com