Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fr-2 Vs. SD 722  (Read 39765 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Fr-2 Vs. SD 722
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 12:23:36 AM »
I think the FR2 is built really well, the ergo's are better than a P1. I love everything about it, it is a little large but very light with excellent meters, headphone amp that will drown out the house PA with a decent set of cans, the thing even has an external speaker for late night mono hotel listening 8)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2004, 08:10:29 AM »
ok, so the MOD fr2 is $1550
batteries, you can get the 4amp packs for $29 per.
or, spend $8 on a 12v 4 or 5 amp SLA (which I have all ready)
A pair of drives should not cost more than $260 shipped.  I think I just paid $122 for my single.  A 2nd would be fine for 24/96, and i'll need to go that route if my HDD hack doesnt pan out...but I think it will.

So, box and drives come to $1810.
that does not include batteries as I think most folks who bought one would all ready have a 12v source laying around..and it takes a standard barrel connector.

Yes, the FR2 is a little bulky, like a double DAP1.  and I did mention its light.
durrable?  no metel.  all plastic. plastic buttons.  i'm sure its field worthy, of that I have no doubt.  I bet I could drop it w/o any damage.  the SD boxes will blow it away in terms of ruggedness, i'm sure of that.  But I dont really need a box that I can drive over.

Levels are controlled in two places.  One main gain stage on the front, and trim pots on the top....
I have yet to figure those out.  I would assume you run the trim wide open and adjust the gain to "close enough" status, but a little hot.  and then use the trim to attenuate from there.  Its not really a big inconvience, that is for sure.
it sooo light.  My mics weigh more than the entire pre/ad/recorder.  not bad!
I plan on a full review of my O mod (relatively stock) unit come the EOM after ive had a chance to use it few times.  I"m gong to do some A/B comparrisons w/Carls W-MOD unit.  Daisy chain them in the field via AES cable and see what's what.  I"m planning on the T mod for my own unit.

From what I understand of Dougs MODs, the W mod makes for a 148 sound (warm, punchy).  The T mod makes for a V3 sound (open, detailed, flat).

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004, 01:31:01 AM »
yeah, the T mod sounds YUMMY ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 11:05:49 AM »
Listening to an FR-2 tape for the first time, mk4>fr-2, neville bros. from telluride blues and brews, and really like the sound. To me, sounds a whole bunch like an m148, warm, but tight overall and dry in the low end. good first impression for sure, even listening to a 16bit cd.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 01:01:37 PM »
Listening to an FR-2 tape for the first time, mk4>fr-2, neville bros. from telluride blues and brews, and really like the sound. To me, sounds a whole bunch like an m148, warm, but tight overall and dry in the low end. good first impression for sure, even listening to a 16bit cd.

stock fr2?

do you have a server up?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2004, 01:30:25 PM »
I have a couple tapes made with a stock FR-2. I think all mine are the 24bit sources from Callery. He has tried many different combos with and without A/Ds. I don't think I have all of these, but I kow I got a few of them. I can send a DVD out tomorrow with a few of them if you are interested.

http://digitalpanic.org/btforums/showthread.php?t=6577&highlight=FR-2

http://digitalpanic.org/btforums/showthread.php?t=5279&highlight=FR-2

http://digitalpanic.org/btforums/showthread.php?t=4623&highlight=FR-2

http://digitalpanic.org/btforums/showthread.php?t=6507

http://digitalpanic.org/btforums/showthread.php?t=5821

http://digitalpanic.org/btforums/showthread.php?t=5296

http://digitalpanic.org/btforums/showthread.php?t=6194

I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

marc0789

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2004, 02:05:13 PM »

stock fr2?

no, doug's w-mod.
do you have a server up?

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2004, 02:44:19 PM »

you would put it on par with an m148 then?  I'm thinking about trading in my m148 > modsbm-1 eventually for either this or the 722, but I don't want to sacrifice sound at all...
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

marc0789

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2004, 03:08:22 PM »
I'd listen to some samples that I think doug put up on oade forum, and talk to the oades about it first. I've run the oade for a year, and right away I could hear the similarities. and that's listening to a 16 bit disc. I really like the sound, and it'd make sense that if doug's gonna fool with the pre in the thing, he'd make it sound like he wants it to.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 04:47:43 PM by Fire Dusty/Hire Piniella »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2004, 04:46:34 PM »
Doug reccomended the t-mod for the gefell's fwiw, they are warm enough...and I agree!  I can send you some gefell->fr t-mod samples if you would like.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2004, 10:15:31 PM »
My FR-2 sounds like a 148 but we aren't done with it yet, Doug is going to fatten it up just a little more for me. He can do either mod so if you decide after a while you want the T-mod or you changed mics you can send it back which is really cool. I love the sound of mine, we just haven't had anything worth taping all year up here!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2004, 06:49:00 AM »
which translates as "i'm too lasy to go out on school nights"
there has been plenty of good taping.
why, DSO is coming to town next month.  (ha ha ha)

Mule next weekend!
then Moe two weeks after
then DTB at the Avalon.
its shaping up

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2004, 06:51:24 AM »
Doug reccomended the t-mod for the gefell's fwiw, they are warm enough...and I agree!  I can send you some gefell->fr t-mod samples if you would like.

Daryan

I'm not holding my breathe, but I'll take you up on the offer, along with the 90s you said you'd send :)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2004, 12:20:05 PM »
Lazy??!?!?!? you mean drunk 8)
Yes, we finally have some good shows coming up instead of that Ratdog crap you try to pawn off to me as good music :P

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline studio_geek

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2004, 06:03:38 PM »
recent ratdog shows ripped the dead to pieces. if you miss the grateful dead see ratdog for a buzz you won't get from the dead.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com