Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fr-2 Vs. SD 722  (Read 39762 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fr-2 Vs. SD 722
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2004, 11:01:52 PM »
FYI, I haven't had any grief with my Tosh Drives.
Although I can see how any HD would be sensitive to high levels of shock,
I can't image hanging out in a space that loud or unstable.

When you talk to Fostex, tell them that you are considering sucking the fluid out of the LCD,
against the warning in the manual, and ask what could happen to you or why you might do it.

Everyone I ask hasn't a clue as to why they put that warning in there.    ;D

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2004, 10:34:42 AM »
The solution I came up with, and I apologize for not posting it I was in a hurry at the time, was to buy dampening sound absorbing material off of ebay.  It is like a rubber substance with an adhesive side and a regular side.  I installed it into a sonicase, as that is what I am using these days, and neatly fit it to the exact size of the fr-2 with a little room to spare on each side.  I then took the unit to the local bar and subjected it to the same sound levels as before and everything was peachy.  As olong as the unit isn't vibrating, it is fine.  This issue does not rear it's ugly head at all when taping from a distance, but say in a bar where you are 8 feet from the soundsource/stage, it certainly becomes an issue.  I also find that vibration of the unit is sibstantially reduced by running the unit vertical as opposed to horizontal, and also not on any structure, but rather just on the ground.  I don't have a good refrence of actual decibel levels where this occurs, and I apologize about that.   Any more questions?

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

BobW

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2004, 08:00:57 PM »
Thanks for the info !
No need to aplogize.

Glad that you've come up with a solution that works for you.  :)

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2004, 03:43:13 AM »
Don't buy an FR2 until you can check out the 722.  I've had the opportunity to run the 744 a few times now and am fully impressed with it.   You can power it off of inexpensive camcorder batteries, the last one I use will power it for 6 hours.   I've used for for a local "Americana" band, Harmonious Thunk, a couple Supersuckers shows and stealthed Dylan with it last week.  Also did part of a DBT show, but ran out of power. Until the Dylan show, I ran 16bit 44.1 (for patching reasons), but went for the gusto at Dylan and did 24bit 192k, sounds amazing.   I don't have a way to transfer the 24bit at the moment (no firewire or soundcard that will take the high rate), but should have this resolved soon and will post samples when I can. 
On a side note, the headphone amp kicks ass.....loud enough to actually hear the headphones over the PA with mid range headphones.   
Chapper
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

BobW

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2004, 03:53:28 AM »
Don't buy an FR2 until you can check out the 722.  I've had the opportunity to run the 744 a few times now and am fully impressed with it.   You can power it off of inexpensive camcorder batteries, the last one I use will power it for 6 hours.   I've used for for a local "Americana" band, Harmonious Thunk, a couple Supersuckers shows and stealthed Dylan with it last week.  Also did part of a DBT show, but ran out of power. Until the Dylan show, I ran 16bit 44.1 (for patching reasons), but went for the gusto at Dylan and did 24bit 192k, sounds amazing.   I don't have a way to transfer the 24bit at the moment (no firewire or soundcard that will take the high rate), but should have this resolved soon and will post samples when I can. 
On a side note, the headphone amp kicks ass.....loud enough to actually hear the headphones over the PA with mid range headphones.   
Chapper

Geeks has a usb2/firewire combi- card for like $7
The MOD FR-2 is pretty hot stuff, but could only stealth if you were more than sublime.
No Jedi mind trick would do it.

jpschust

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2004, 06:08:16 PM »
who did you get a 744 to demo from?  i thought the 744s werent ready even to demo yet... but i could be totally wrong

Chapper

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2004, 06:00:29 AM »
who did you get a 744 to demo from?  i thought the 744s werent ready even to demo yet... but i could be totally wrong

SS in house dealer demo.  pm me
we all live downstream.

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2004, 02:22:14 AM »
Yep...what John said.  It's still in the beta stage, still not 100% or ready for demo status, but our findings have gone to SD and are being considered in the updates that supposed to be coming soon.   I think Marc will be putting up a sample of the recent Fillmore Claypool show, he ran it with some MK41's, sounds great.   
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2004, 06:29:23 AM »
Don't buy an FR2 until you can check out the 722. 

You'll have to wait a while. The 744T is first to hit the streets and most of the first units are going to film sound recordist/engineers. The 722 isn't expected until Spring (I suppose that's not too bad), so folks will have a wait a bit for that unit.

I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens to archive.org once the 722 and 744T hit the street. I expect a whole lot more 24-bit shows appearing up there.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2004, 08:41:54 AM »
Don't buy an FR2 until you can check out the 722. 

The 722 isn't expected until Spring (I suppose that's not too bad),

Wayne

When did you hear this?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2004, 10:07:28 AM »

When did you hear this?

Just this week after folks returned from AES in CA.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2004, 10:40:32 AM »
SPRING?  damn.  that probably means august.  which means september.  which means november. which means...

maybe it's finally time to look into another option

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2004, 11:09:41 AM »
Anyone get a preliminary price on the R-4?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2004, 11:12:12 AM »
Anyone get a preliminary price on the R-4?

$1595 expected street price.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2004, 12:16:46 PM »
Sound Devices strikes again!!!!!!!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com