Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-4 Experiences  (Read 20133 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Edirol R-4 Experiences
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2006, 04:06:52 PM »
my ears ring and my stereo is modest, at best.

but you dont need the best of either to hear that the R4s preamps are not up to par w/the way you want them to sound.  A V2 in front would smoke.  yea, I'll say that they are better than the stock UA5, but not by a lot.  It depends...they sound great at low gain.  turn them up though...yuk.  pad them and double yuk..and unfortunatly, if your a jam-band jocky then that is exactly how you have to run them.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2006, 04:14:23 PM »
but you dont need the best of either to hear that the R4s preamps are not up to par w/the way you want them to sound.  A V2 in front would smoke.  yea, I'll say that they are better than the stock UA5, but not by a lot.  It depends...they sound great at low gain.  turn them up though...yuk.  pad them and double yuk..and unfortunatly, if your a jam-band jocky then that is exactly how you have to run them.

Hopefully the T-mod reduces enough of the self-noise to allow running fairly high gain without trouble.  Thanks for the feedback, Nick.  Matt and I will see what we can do to get a comp out there so people may have a first-hand listen.  I'm drooling over the prospect of the T-mod R4...2 x 2 ch recording for easy SBD + AUD or AUD + AUD (say hypers + omnis) mixing in post, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2006, 04:25:08 PM »

And cards v. hypers, if I understand the MG model designations correctly (M20 = card caps, M210 = SMS2000 bodies + M21 hyper caps)?

If we are being ultra technical here....the caps=m20,m21,m27

Bodies==MV200

bodies and caps together-=m210,m200,m270

SERIES===SMS2000 (this name serves the same purpose as the "Blue Line" OR "Colette")

Dirk at MG busted my chops a lot because I used to use the wrong names.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2006, 04:27:20 PM »
[snip]  Dirk at MG busted my chops a lot because I used to se the wrong names.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  Proper references definitely don't hurt!
Roland R-05

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2006, 04:34:50 PM »
so,

has anyone heard anything from the oades about the mods for this box?

loved using sleepypedro's

it's in the shop now for a tune up or replacement, but aside from that, it is just abreeze to use and transfer

would only be that much better to get at least  2 chanels modded
?>FR2LE

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2006, 04:53:23 PM »
it will be a great recorder w/a Oade MOD..for sure.  and for you 24/96kHz  and 4chan freaks, it will be the ultimate.  for the rest who are happy w/lower sample rates (44.1 or 48khz for CF media) the W or T mod FR2 and ACM671 are better choices, IMO.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2006, 04:59:30 PM »
has anyone heard anything from the oades about the mods for this box?

(Ahem!)

When I spoke with the Oades a couple weeks ago, they plan on working out a T-mod for the R4 during Feb and hopefully offering it for field use in Mar.  I asked about the + mod, and they indicated the R4 didn't really need a + mod, i.e. it's quiet enough as-is.
Roland R-05

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2006, 05:09:14 PM »
Brian,
I won't have the 2nd set of HO's by then and between us we don't have any like mics.  I was hoping maybe we could comp your 414's vs my c-1's at goran  ;D  That is if you can stand running your 414's x/y on stage.
     What does Matt D have?  if he has a pair of like mics then we can go for it.  I think on stage would be a great wasy to comp BTW.

Matt

**edit**  othersise I was hoping I could use your v3 for the wu show on the 11th if you aren't using it.  Sleepypedro said he would be able to send me his mbho's sometime around the 7th, and he is gone until the 18th so I can use them for over a week.  He has card, hyper and the omni's with the presence bump.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 05:21:31 PM by mmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2006, 06:14:15 PM »
I have a pair of XLR splitters.  One pair of mics split to 2 pre/ADCs = no problem.  Besides, I don't think I could possibly run my 414s XY on-stage with Blumlein or split omnis begging to be run!  Matt D has DPA 402x and a 722.  The reason I don't think on-stage comps are good is because damn near *any* gear sounds mighty fine on-stage.  But, shoot, we might as well give it a go - I'll bring the splitters.  :)
Roland R-05

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2006, 06:45:09 PM »
Brian,
I won't have the 2nd set of HO's by then and between us we don't have any like mics.  I was hoping maybe we could comp your 414's vs my c-1's at goran  ;D  That is if you can stand running your 414's x/y on stage.
     What does Matt D have?  if he has a pair of like mics then we can go for it.  I think on stage would be a great wasy to comp BTW.

Matt

**edit**  othersise I was hoping I could use your v3 for the wu show on the 11th if you aren't using it.  Sleepypedro said he would be able to send me his mbho's sometime around the 7th, and he is gone until the 18th so I can use them for over a week.  He has card, hyper and the omni's with the presence bump.

not a given until i check in with someone (also on this board).  probably not an issue, just don't count yr chickens yet yknow...

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2006, 07:16:35 PM »
I have a pair of XLR splitters.  One pair of mics split to 2 pre/ADCs = no problem.  Besides, I don't think I could possibly run my 414s XY on-stage with Blumlein or split omnis begging to be run!  Matt D has DPA 402x and a 722.  The reason I don't think on-stage comps are good is because damn near *any* gear sounds mighty fine on-stage.  But, shoot, we might as well give it a go - I'll bring the splitters.  :)

See... I know what it is!  You're chicken!  You know c-1's are gonna make the 414's sound like ass!  ;D 
     Ok... we can use your spliiters!  I will decided between now and then if I want to bring my Mackie rig too.  You could just run the v3-r4 comp from the foh with your mk4's and go 414 > t+mod from stage.

Then I can run my mbho's on stage omni and my c4's on stage omni through my multi rig!  Then we can have:
mbho vs c4 comp  (yeah... I know.  Kinda pointless)
v3 > r4 vs r4 comp
mk4 > v3 > MT vs mk4 > v3 > r4 vs mk4 > v3 > r4 > onyx for a 3way adc comp (assuming that the r4 passes the analog straight through)

That would give a perfect mic comp, a pre comp, a 3-way adc comp!

For single sources we could have
mk4 > v3 > mt
mk4 > v3 > r4 >onyx
mk4 > r4 > onyx
mk4 > r4
mk4 > v3 > r4
414 > t+mod
mbho > onyx
c4 > onyx
sbd > onyx

then, to top it all off.  By utilizing everything that goes into the onyx we could have a 3,120-way matrix comp!!!!!!!

c4 + sbd matrix
c4 + mbho matrix
c4 + sbd +mbho matrix
c4 + mbho + mk4 > v3 > r4 matrix
c4 + mbho +sbd + mk4 > v3 > r4 matrix
c4 + mbho + mk4  > r4 matrix
c4 + mbho + sbd +mk4  > r4 matrix
c4 + mk4  > r4 matrix
c4 +sbd + mk4  > r4 matrix
c4 + mk4 > v3 > r4 matrix
c4 + sbd + mk4 > v3 > r4 matrix
c4 + mk4 > v3 > r4 mk4  > r4 matrix
c4 + sbd + mk4 > v3 > r4 mk4  > r4 matrix
mbho matrix
mbho + mk4 > v3 > r4 matrix
mbho + mbho + mk4  > r4 matrix
 Awe fuck it!  I just did the math 5 to the 5th power right?  THEN we can post them all to the archive for everyone to enjoy!  :realhappy:   Or do you think that is overkill?

Matt

***edit*** actually I just thought maybe we could find a way to run your t+ into the onyx and that should give us another 43,000 possible matrix combinations (give or take)!
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2006, 07:17:20 PM »
Brian,

Matt

not a given until i check in with someone (also on this board).  probably not an issue, just don't count yr chickens yet yknow...
no problem... see my responce to your PM

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2006, 09:37:34 PM »
Skalinder...

master of the obvious that slips right past mortals like me :P

thanks

hope this pans out....

would own that as soon as I could afford it...
?>FR2LE

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2006, 12:35:56 AM »

Offline qpwoei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2006, 11:20:32 AM »
not my cup of tea, but may be the shiznit for someone else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Edirol-R-4-Hard-Case_W0QQitemZ7379348056QQcategoryZ15199QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Matt

not mine either, but it seems what they offer is it's just the R4 HARD CASE...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com