Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-671 vs. Tascam HD-P2  (Read 23341 times)

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: Marantz PMD-671 vs. Tascam HD-P2
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 12:47:27 AM »
Finally made the decision - and the winner is the P2

I was really torn between the two (very similar in size, features, price, etc..) - so I called Mr. Oade to get his opinion. He said that if I am going to use it as a bit-bucket it really didn't matter, but for line-in he thought the P2 was better. He said the digital stage via line in is really very nice - in his opinion better than the Marantz. But he said for mic-in the 671 would be my best bet due to his mods.  He also said there are some mods in the works for the P2, but there isn't very much room in there to do much work.

Since I will be going only digi-in or line in form the v2/psp2 - I chose the P2. Now where is my damn tax return.....
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 03:01:10 AM »
Now where is my damn tax return.....

glad I'm not the only one eyeing the mailbox.   ;D

;D

I did the direct deposit and last year it came in two weeks! This year is a bit slower, I suppose. I'm goin' nuts - can't wait :spin:
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2006, 08:53:57 AM »
On the 671 it has auto-split by track length instead of file size.

1min-5min-10min-15min-30min-1hr-2hr-6hr-8hr-12hr-24hr

ahh yes. that's right...

The 671 also has the RAW (Read After Write) VTH (Virtual Third Head) so the data is written to the card, I'm not sure if it varies with the P2.

the thing with the 671 security features, the "verify" feature and the "Read After Write / Virtual Third Head" feature, is that, according to the manual, those are not available when doing 24 bit recording.

I was really torn between the two (very similar in size, features, price, etc..) - so I called Mr. Oade to get his opinion. He said that if I am going to use it as a bit-bucket it really didn't matter, but for line-in he thought the P2 was better. He said the digital stage via line in is really very nice - in his opinion better than the Marantz. But he said for mic-in the 671 would be my best bet due to his mods.  He also said there are some mods in the works for the P2, but there isn't very much room in there to do much work.

that's interested to hear.  while I plan on always running S/PDIF from the V3, I noticed that the HD-P2 has a limiter feature (FWIW, the 671 also has a limiter).  at some quiet shows, where the crowd between soungs can be louder than the music, maybe I'll run line in from the V3 and use the limiter.  just something I'm thinking about...

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2006, 10:53:11 AM »
Finally made the decision - and the winner is the P2

Since I will be going only digi-in or line in form the v2/psp2 - I chose the P2. Now where is my damn tax return.....

For line in Doug said the P2 would be better, or digital in?  That's not the impression I got at all (reguarding line in), but I'm not going to put words in Doug's mouth.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »
Yeah that info contradicts what I've heard him asy as well.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2006, 10:58:46 AM »
On the 671 it has auto-split by track length instead of file size.

1min-5min-10min-15min-30min-1hr-2hr-6hr-8hr-12hr-24hr

ahh yes. that's right...

The 671 also has the RAW (Read After Write) VTH (Virtual Third Head) so the data is written to the card, I'm not sure if it varies with the P2.

the thing with the 671 security features, the "verify" feature and the "Read After Write / Virtual Third Head" feature, is that, according to the manual, those are not available when doing 24 bit recording.

that's interested to hear.  while I plan on always running S/PDIF from the V3, I noticed that the HD-P2 has a limiter feature (FWIW, the 671 also has a limiter).  at some quiet shows, where the crowd between soungs can be louder than the music, maybe I'll run line in from the V3 and use the limiter.  just something I'm thinking about...

Id love to hear a v2/v3 > line-in P2   vs.    v3 digi out > p2    both at either 2448 or 2496    ...     someday....   thnking that might be the move for me..  either ditch the v3 and use my v2 for line into the p2, or jus run v3 digi..    If it sounds close to the v3 (better or slightly worse), id absolutely ditch the v3..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2006, 02:02:04 PM »
Yeah that info contradicts what I've heard him asy as well.

I heard him say (sometime) in the past that the 671 had a better adc - but he said on the phone line-in on the P2 was the way to go. Better adc than the Marantz. As far as digi-in, it doesn't matter which one. Mic-in would be the 671, if you have it modded.

Who knows - it will mainly be a bit-bucket...
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 02:19:32 PM »
From what I remember, Doug posted on his board after looking inside:  "the P2 was chinese and looks it, and the Marantz was japanese and looks it."  I have not seen or heard any actual analysis of the P2 by Doug until today.  Glad to hear he'll be doing some mods on these boxes.      8)

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2006, 02:22:40 PM »
From what I remember, Doug posted on his board after looking inside:  "the P2 was chinese and looks it, and the Marantz was japanese and looks it."  I have not seen or heard any actual analysis of the P2 by Doug until today.  Glad to hear he'll be doing some mods on these boxes.      8)

Honestly, before I spoke with him yesterday, I was going for the 671 because of Japansese build quality. His comments on sound quality pushed me the other way. The way I look at it, if I buy and I don't like it - sell it.

Can someone who has one please commment on the build quality? Thank you ;D
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline jcrab66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2006, 03:56:58 PM »

seems pretty bulletproof to me, if you have ever fondled a da-p1 then you have pretty much seen the build of the hd p2
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2006, 03:59:55 PM »

seems pretty bulletproof to me, if you have ever fondled a da-p1 then you have pretty much seen the build of the hd p2

nice!! Thank you!!

I am going to go fondle my P1 right now >:D
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2006, 04:46:57 PM »
I run an HD-P2 and have not had any issues at all.  You can pre-set various templates for differnt applications, bit depth, sampling rates, etc.  The main controls are on the top of the machine easily within reach, the display is straight forward, and it is very intuitave to use.

I have heard some critisim of the noise floor - never been an issue for me - it sounds great for the $$$'s.

It also has a Lock switch on the front panel not far from the play/record controls which is nice just in case...

Hope this helps -

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2006, 06:17:54 PM »
I heard him say (sometime) in the past that the 671 had a better adc

Yes

but he said on the phone line-in on the P2 was the way to go. Better adc than the Marantz.

Maybe you weren't on the same page.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2006, 07:36:01 PM »
I heard him say (sometime) in the past that the 671 had a better adc

Yes

but he said on the phone line-in on the P2 was the way to go. Better adc than the Marantz.

Maybe you weren't on the same page.

He was really specific; he asked me exactly what I would be doing with the unit - and he said for line-in get the P2. His did say that the digital stage in the P2 is superior to the 671 (line-in). Mic-in go with the 671 (modded). I know he has stated otherwise. Who the hell really knows until we line 'em up for some comps? I'll be ready soon - let's do it 671 owners!

Sonic AD2K+ 

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2006, 12:29:03 AM »
He was really specific; he asked me exactly what I would be doing with the unit - and he said for line-in get the P2. His did say that the digital stage in the P2 is superior to the 671 (line-in). Mic-in go with the 671 (modded). I know he has stated otherwise. Who the hell really knows until we line 'em up for some comps? I'll be ready soon - let's do it 671 owners!

He has said that the P2 is less noisy than the stock 671 line in.  I've never heard him or seen him say that the ADC of the P2 is "superior".  Basically you're saying that Doug isn't consistent, afterall you "know he has stated otherwise".  If that's the case, it's news to me, I always thought Doug was pretty consistent.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 12:38:37 AM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com