Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack SPDIF in and "Auto" Sample Rate  (Read 1685 times)

Offline jimi56

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Microtrack SPDIF in and "Auto" Sample Rate
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:43:34 PM »
I haven't been able to find anything on what Auto Sample rate is.  If i run from my UA-5 24/48, is that what the MT is gonna record as.  That would make sense to me since i'm just running bits into the MT, but i wasn't sure.

Side question... if you had to choose between using the UA-5 (unmodded) a/d or the MT (i.e. run analog or digital in from the UA5) which would you do?

Logan
Rig: Samson C02s > UA5 > MT24/96

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Microtrack SPDIF in and "Auto" Sample Rate
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 11:18:36 PM »
The sample rate is automatically determined by the MT if you're using the S/PDIF input.  So with the UA5, it will be either 44.1, 48, or 96.  The bit depth must be set by you, though--Record Settings/Bits and then choose what you're outputting from the UA5, which will depend on whether you have the ADV switch on the back turned on or not.

So, if you have the UA5 set to 24/48, the MT will record the 48 sample rate for sure, but unless you have 24 bits enabled on the MT it will just truncate to 16, as I understand it.

As for the second question, I think you really only have two options instead of the three you listed:
1)UA5 digi out to the MT--this is the same as the first option in the list, using the UA5's A/D, yes?

2)UA5 analog out the the MT

I would strongly suggest going with option 1, not so much because an unmodded UA5's A/D is necessarily that much better than the MT's A/D (I've never done a direct comparison of just that portion of each, so I don't know), but if you're using the UA5 at all, then I think you are automatically using its A/D, even with analog out.  My understanding is that the analog outs have been through an A/D conversion and then a D/A conversion.  I don't think you'd want to subject the signal to another A/D conversion in the MT, as I don't think that could improve the signal.

Offline jimi56

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Microtrack SPDIF in and "Auto" Sample Rate
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 08:54:59 AM »
Alright, thats kind of what i thought was going on with the Auto Sample rate.  I'll do a few tests tonight to be sure. 

I'm about 98% sure you're right about the A/D used by the UA-5.  I think i does the A/D conversion on the way in, and then will D/A on the way out to analog, then the MT would do its own A/D.  I knew that but it didn't occur to me. 

My only issue with the "Auto" thing is the time remaining per track, etc.  It give me what looks like numbers for 24/96.  I guess it fixes it on the fly though.  More test to be running before i put the MT to its first real use this weekend.

Thanks!
Logan
Rig: Samson C02s > UA5 > MT24/96

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com