Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 firmware 1.20 about to be released  (Read 34806 times)

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R-09 firmware 1.20 about to be released
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2007, 05:39:45 PM »
What is the "root of the R-9"? When I double click on the "no name" icon on my desktop, I get a empty window folder entitled "no name". Is that window the root of the R-9?
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2007, 07:53:10 PM »
The 'root' directory just means don't create a sub folder to put the firmware on the R-9.  Just copy it to the base directory.  For example if you unzip the file to a directory don't copy the whole directory over.  Just copy the one firmware file.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »
Still having issues... Seems to me that I cannot unzip the file to a directory, so I can't copy the firmware file to the R-9. When I double click on the DMZ15.UPD file I get - "unable to read the dictionary of the application or extension because it is not scriptable"(the application I put the file in was apple script dictionary, when I was asked where to place it). When I ok the above quoted window, I get another window saying "The document "DMZ15.UPD" could not be opened. Script Editor cannot open files in "the script editor document" format".

Guess I will not be using the new R-9 this weekend at my local festival - www.solarmusicfest.com  - so, I will just use the 'ol D100 dat. Maybe these issues can be figured out during the week... Thanks for your help, china_rider.

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2007, 01:58:33 PM »
yes, china_rider already said that, but what is and/or where do I find the "root directory"?. Is that the blank window that appears after I double click on the "no name" icon?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2007, 03:37:24 PM »
yes, china_rider already said that, but what is and/or where do I find the "root directory"?. Is that the blank window that appears after I double click on the "no name" icon?

I thought the directions were very clear.. but maybe I can help (if you're using a pc)

Download the .zip file from here (http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloads_updates/eula.aspx?DownloadId=1817)... save it to your desktop.

Unzip the contents of the file to your desktop.. if you don't know how to do this... i can't help you.

Insert the SD card that came with your edirol into the r-09.. turn it on, format the card, and then plug it into your computer via the USB.

Open up "my computer".. you will see a new drive (mine is F:).. this is the SD card. Copy/paste the .upd file to that drive.

Safetly unplug the R-09.. turn it off... turn it back on while pressing record.

You do not.. at any point... double-click the .UPD file.. I have no idea where you got this notion from.. it doesn't open with any program, you simply copy/paste it to the SD card and then reboot the R-09.. honestly.. the directions are very clear. took me 10 minutes.

-t to me for being harsh.. but i hope this helps

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »
The R-09 firmware with an 8GB fix is still not there.
Is the development gone for this device?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2007, 09:40:51 PM »

Might be the protocol implementation for SDHC cards from different manufacturers varies too much to get a 'handle' on a firmware fix that works reliably. 

Case in point is where Transcend SDHC 4/8 GIG originally worked fine (except for any make of 8 gig auto spanning fault) when they first came out with v1.10/1.20 upgrades, and then stopped working in R-09 with later Transcend production runs that 'changed something' to where R-09 couldn't use them anymore.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2007, 04:38:17 AM »

Might be the protocol implementation for SDHC cards from different manufacturers varies too much to get a 'handle' on a firmware fix that works reliably. 
So much for a standard...

If the cards can be uniquely identified one could program around the differences in implementation?

Case in point is where Transcend SDHC 4/8 GIG originally worked fine (except for any make of 8 gig auto spanning fault) when they first came out with v1.10/1.20 upgrades, and then stopped working in R-09 with later Transcend production runs that 'changed something' to where R-09 couldn't use them anymore.
Whicht of the current Transcend 4GB cards work OK with the v1.20 R-09 firmware?
Can I get 4GB SDHC cards?
Or should I stay with non-SDHC to be sure?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 05:13:17 AM by udovdh »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2007, 05:46:58 AM »

So much for a standard...

If the cards can be uniquely identified one could program around the differences in implementation?

Whicht of the current Transcend 4GB cards work OK with the v1.20 R-09 firmware?
Can I get 4GB SDHC cards?
Or should I stay with non-SDHC to be sure?

Some here  have attempted to track Transcend SDHC production of working R-09 cards, but to my knowledge no solution to knowing which previous runs over newer runs has been reported successful.

4 GIG regular SD types are NOT within usual SD type standard with some not working well with R-09.  Suggest sticking with 4 GIG SDHC from Kingston Elite Pro and Sandisk Ultra II which seem to work for everyone, at least so far.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2007, 09:42:29 AM »

And yet... We don't seem to hear of many CF problems from 7xx owners and that is a much older piece of hardware.

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2007, 02:07:09 PM »
Anybody have a hunch or some info about new firmware?

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2007, 08:05:35 PM »
With regards to the SDHC issue, there are 1 standards, "Class 2" and "Class 6"... here is a recent review of a bunch of them: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/memory-hog-battlemodo/among-many-fast-sdhc-cards--only-one-is-king-of-speed-278351.php

Kind of seems like a lot of work to program for both classes, so I would say give them some time @ Edirol :)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2007, 11:28:37 PM »
Class type is JUST SPEED RATING, and has nothing to do with SDHC protocol implementation.  Class 1 should be plenty fast for audio modes, and I recall somebody trying a class 6 Sandisk and having troubles, but might have been just a bad card.

All flash cards CAN CHANGE SOMETHING IN PRODUCTION while still conforming to protocol specs.  Even 722 is not immune to CF cards becoming altered by manufacturing change causing past reliable brand to not work anymore, or so it seems.

More about manufacturing change of controller IC's inside cards at: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2007, 01:11:31 AM »
When first shipped, I and most everyone found Transcend 4 & 8 Gig SDHC working well with at least v1.10 installed. 

But NOT now as in recent few months a lot of people find Transcend SDHC model series do not format or give so many trashed file errors to be unusable. 

As a result of current experiences with this make of card I have revised my recommendation of this and other cards in the memory section of review at: www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm#memory

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com