Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol too hissy. Alternatives?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline trazan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol too hissy. Alternatives?
« on: July 21, 2007, 12:15:46 PM »

Hello!

Just got the Edirol R-09. For my use, this thing has way too much hiss. I'm sure it's fine for loud sources, but for normal speech level or ambient sounds it gets waaaay too hissy.

Are there any better alternatives with built in mics? Or with a small set of condensers to be attached?

Offline trazan

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Edirol too hissy. Alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 01:41:14 PM »
are you just running the internal mics?

Yep. The reason I went for the Edirol was because of portability. I'd like to avoid additional mics/cables.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 02:46:40 PM »
are you just running the internal mics?

Yep. The reason I went for the Edirol was because of portability. I'd like to avoid additional mics/cables.

I suggest using an external preamp and an external set of mics.. The edirol is very quiet... But the internal mics/preamp for them is not the best.

What exactly is your application?

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline E Baxter Put

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »
Hello... first post here.

I am in the same situation as the original poster (sorry to pseudo-hijack). I have the Edirol R-1 and I use it with the internal mics for grabbing nature ambiences, and sound fx. I use the internal mics because it's quick and easy and I carry it around with me everyday. Most of the ambiences I record are useable, but distinct sound fx are hissy, noisy and 2 dimensional.

My profession is sound mixing and editing for TV/ film, and video games. I've used an old tascam da-p1 with nice microphones for collecting quality sound fx in the past.

I'm not sure if I should keep the R1 and get the church st-20b and a pair of church omni mics (and attach them to my glasses for the ultimate dork look), or upgrade the recorder?

Does any portable recorder (besides the sound devices) have good internal pres?

My limited budget is around $1k. But I would like to make the R1 work if possible.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

-EBP

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 03:56:24 PM »
yes, the "Sony MZ-RH1" HI-MD recorder.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,87999.msg1172361.html#new
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 03:58:43 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 10:13:29 PM »
Hello... first post here.

I am in the same situation as the original poster (sorry to pseudo-hijack). I have the Edirol R-1 and I use it with the internal mics for grabbing nature ambiences, and sound fx. I use the internal mics because it's quick and easy and I carry it around with me everyday. Most of the ambiences I record are useable, but distinct sound fx are hissy, noisy and 2 dimensional.

My profession is sound mixing and editing for TV/ film, and video games. I've used an old tascam da-p1 with nice microphones for collecting quality sound fx in the past.

I'm not sure if I should keep the R1 and get the church st-20b and a pair of church omni mics (and attach them to my glasses for the ultimate dork look), or upgrade the recorder?

My limited budget is around $1k. But I would like to make the R1 work if possible.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

-EBP

I do the ambient sound recording using the R-09 with external mic and preamp.  R-09 review on my site with recording samples and system configuration is my own personal/business solution for this type of field work.  See: www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline trazan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:43:53 PM »

Does anyone know of a good, small sensitive stereo mic that'll plug right into the R-09's minijack? Something that'll keep this hiss away from me?

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 04:28:36 PM »

Does anyone know of a good, small sensitive stereo mic that'll plug right into the R-09's minijack? Something that'll keep this hiss away from me?

The "hiss" is due to the mic preamp, mostly at least.
For lower level, like nature stuff, spoken word, acoustic, etc, Minidisc is *really* good.  I still use MD for this, or as a backup recorder.  This is my only complaint about the Edirol R09.   Otherwise this thing is just great!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 04:49:39 PM »
From the little I've looked at to do with ambient recording of nature and whatnot, it would seem that a decent mic and preamp is absolutely essential. Definately wouldn't have thought the internal pre on the R09 would be anywhere near up to the job. I've recorded quiet(ish) bits and bobs here and there and it sounds like a dictaphone for memos and stuff, not for anything that could be used as a sample or for FX.

The R09 is a great little piece of kit, and an external mic and pre wouldn't add a great deal of weight or hassle. I'm sure someone round here with more knowledge of nature recording will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com