Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems with R4  (Read 13237 times)

Offline salmonite

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Problems with R4
« on: July 28, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »
So I was recording a show last weekend on my (maybe not so)trusty R4 (2 channels@ 24/96). And as alot of you know, when the R4 files reach a certain file size, they automatically create a new file. During post, I noticed that the last segment/file of the show sounded like it was skipping, which completely ruined the last 20 minutes of the show, which is of course very upsetting. Does anyone know why this may have happened? This is the first time anything like this has ever gone wrong, and I would like for it to be the last. Is there anything I can do to avoid this from happening again? Thanks in advance.

-Tyler

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
Re: Problems with R4
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »
ive had that happen to me...but it happened in the middle of the show no where near the 2gb split.

Changed the HD and have had NO similar problems.
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline salmonite

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:07:34 PM »
Klowe,

How old was your unit when you changed the HD? My R4 is only about 7 mo.'s old. That seems kind of new to be having to change stuff out already.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:13:13 PM »
HDD SLOW....... ::)  Putting a new drive in mine didn't solve the problem.  Results may vary obviously.

Offline KLowe

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 04:16:58 PM »
Klowe,

How old was your unit when you changed the HD? My R4 is only about 7 mo.'s old. That seems kind of new to be having to change stuff out already.
about 1 yr old I guess.  Ebay purchase.

Busman put in a 60gb 7200 rpm drive with 8mb buffer.  seemed to help.

ran 4 channels of 24/96 at Bonnaroo and didn't have any problems.

Kevin
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 04:33:58 PM »
Did the HDD SLOW message flash at all?
Was it a particularly bass-heavy show, or any idea if the unit was subjected to substantial vibration at the time of the problem?
Is the unit's serial # within the range of units known to have this type of problem?
What firmware are you running?

Odd that it happened running 2-ch 24/96.  Are you sure you were running 2-ch 24/96?  Any chance you were running 4-ch 24/96 but without recording anything on channels 3-4?  (Just a stab in the dark on this last one, really.)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline salmonite

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 06:40:30 PM »
Brian,

I did actually run 4 channels on accident, and was not running anything into 3 & 4. It was not terribly bass heavy that night, but there could have been a small bit of vibration going on, as I was only about 7ft. away from one of the stacks (the venue runs mono to each of the stacks, and it is an outdoor stage with an extremely limited number of places to set up.) I will have to do some checking as far as serial #'s and such goes. In regards to the HDD slow message, I am pretty sure it wasn't flashing during recording, but I can't be positive, as it occured during about the last 20 mins. of the show so I was not paying alot of attention to the deck. Thanks for the help.

-Tyler
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 06:43:09 PM by salmonite »

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 07:46:01 PM »
The "HDD Slow" error has been known to occur in some units when running 24/96 X 4 channels, not just because of vibrations. The HD itself just can't write fast enough to keep up with the data stream. It may have only started after the file spit because the extra work of seamlessly starting a new file just simply over taxed the HD.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 10:31:22 PM »
Brian,

I did actually run 4 channels on accident, and was not running anything into 3 & 4. It was not terribly bass heavy that night, but there could have been a small bit of vibration going on, as I was only about 7ft. away from one of the stacks (the venue runs mono to each of the stacks, and it is an outdoor stage with an extremely limited number of places to set up.) I will have to do some checking as far as serial #'s and such goes. In regards to the HDD slow message, I am pretty sure it wasn't flashing during recording, but I can't be positive, as it occured during about the last 20 mins. of the show so I was not paying alot of attention to the deck. Thanks for the help.

-Tyler

If there was no HDD slow error, then it makes me want to ask if you had a nearly full HD or possibly a really fragmented one. When was the last time you did a "reformat" of the HD? Do you delete files manually or by reformatting? Just wonder if you disk may have been choking on the fragmentation front.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline salmonite

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 09:49:20 AM »
BayTaynt3d,

My HD isn't very full, but is fairly well fragmented. There are still a few things that need to come off of the HD that I just haven't had much time to get off of there. Is this possibly what caused the "HDD SLOW"? Thanks to everyone who has responded. Everytime I ask a ? on this forum I learn a bunch of new stuff, with a minimal amount of feeling like a giant moron :P

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 10:31:08 AM »
BayTaynt3d,

My HD isn't very full, but is fairly well fragmented. There are still a few things that need to come off of the HD that I just haven't had much time to get off of there. Is this possibly what caused the "HDD SLOW"? Thanks to everyone who has responded. Everytime I ask a ? on this forum I learn a bunch of new stuff, with a minimal amount of feeling like a giant moron :P

Maybe, but not necessarily. However, it is one thing you have complete control over, so why not take it out of the equation? Not sure about everyone else, but I see no reason to not format, fill up, re-format, fill up, and so on. Not sure why anyone would manually delete files unless they were in the field and ran out of space but still had files on there they needed.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »
Let's back up one second.   

Did you or did you not get the HDD Slow error.  If you did get the error you would know it as the message flashes pretty distinctly on the display screen.

Now as far as the HD you have 40GB drive in the R4 how much would you estimate of it is used?  20GB?  30GB?  10GB?

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 12:54:24 PM »
I'll poke my head in here.   Regarding the HDD SLOW error...unless you are right there when it happens you will have no way of knowing if it happened.  Did 2 nights of HBRSB.  First night fine, second night fine...or so I thought.  Once listened to I discovered I got the error the second night for about 29 seconds.  Just wanted to throw that out there.  The machine will not tell if you got an error if you weren't there when it happened.  FYI.  Only ever got the error when running two stereo pairs at 24/96 which is all I ever ran the R4 at really anyway so I can't comment on the other formats..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:55:57 PM by tapermark »

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
The machine will not tell if you got an error if you weren't there when it happened.  FYI. 

well... i'm splitting hairs here, but sure it will.  HDD SLOW manifests itself as skipping audio.  if you hear it, the r4 is telling you that the error occurred.

it's not like an error log after the fact, which is what i think you're getting at, but if your audio skips, the hard drive wasn't able to keep up with the data flow.

Offline KLowe

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 01:36:06 PM »
Time to HDD upgrade.  Ran 4 channels of 24/96 onstage the other night and no errors.  The only time I've received the error is with the stock HDD (which only has a 2mb buffer   :really_sucks: )

I'll put money on upgrading to a drive with at least a 8mb buffer will take care of all the problems.

My 0.0002

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 02:05:18 PM »
Not on mine it didn't.   :'(

Time to HDD upgrade.  Ran 4 channels of 24/96 onstage the other night and no errors.  The only time I've received the error is with the stock HDD (which only has a 2mb buffer   :really_sucks: )

I'll put money on upgrading to a drive with at least a 8mb buffer will take care of all the problems.

My 0.0002

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 02:06:09 PM »
That goes without saying.  I was referring to the display.

The machine will not tell if you got an error if you weren't there when it happened.  FYI. 

well... i'm splitting hairs here, but sure it will.  HDD SLOW manifests itself as skipping audio.  if you hear it, the r4 is telling you that the error occurred.

it's not like an error log after the fact, which is what i think you're getting at, but if your audio skips, the hard drive wasn't able to keep up with the data flow.

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 02:17:06 PM »
Not on mine it didn't.   :'(

what model did you replace the stock unit with, mark?  busman recommended a particular model to me earlier this summer.  i upgraded mine after the stock drive died, and have had no issues whatsoever since.  i'll dig up the info if it'll help you.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »
We tried a 16mb buffer 5400rpm drive in mark's to see if that would fix the problem and he had it again.

I am under the assumption that it is a quality control problem and not an issue that can be nailed down to one specific thing.

It seems to be somewhat random in its occurrence. Sometimes it happens on 4 channel 24x96 sometimes 2xstereo ( < I believe mark's did it) Sometimes bass heavy shows sometimes bluegrass.

I never had the problem and I tried to get it to happen at home so I could investigate further but to no avail.
I recorded 4x1 at 24/96 and tapped the unit continuously while recording reggae off of the studio monitors which I would think should make this problem arise and NOPE.

My advice is to never run 4x1 24/96 if you want to be sure you do not have problems. I do recommend a hard drive upgrade since I do think in most cases this will solve the problem.

Most gear out there has some type of glitch and when we run gear in the field we will encounter more problems than in a controlled environment so for me that is what I chalk it up to. I guess I have grown accustomed to issues while recording every once in a while ???

Sorry if this was a thread hijack. Return to your normally scheduled programming.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »
I'd like to know what the reasoning is behind recommending a HD upgrade Mark and Chris?    It seems like it's more of a shot in the dark solution than a verifiable solution.   

A 2MB buffer is PLENTY pipe for a 24/96 data stream.   Remember that the internal buffer is almost twice the size of what is user selectable.  Any backup in the data stream would occur there (internal flash bugger) and not on the HD size of the chain.   Also the reason why there is the slower RPM drive is really two fold.  First is for the power savings which is huge between even 5400 and 7200.  Secondly the slower RPM drives generate much less heat than the faster drives.

The stock drives in both the R4 and R4 Pro both well exceed the data transfer speeds necessary for our recording needs.   I just see most folks who have a problem that the suggestion is to replace the HD without any data or facts to back it up. 

Thoughts?

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 04:20:24 PM »
User selectable buffer????

It is a fact that a faster drive with a bigger buffer will allow more data to be written to a drive without losing track of where it is in the platter.
This is a fact for all drives including CD and DVD drives. I thought that was common knowledge in the tech world.

A buffer is there to allow a drive to catch up to the data stream in the case that the drive has a small hiccup (vibrations)

These are the facts that I use as a tech everyday. I am also a computer technician so I get my facts from my years of experience and training.

Why is it that high end DAW software recommends certain drive speeds, latencies, and buffers.....   Because they need.

"Just Mod It"

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 04:36:26 PM »
User selectable buffer????

It is a fact that a faster drive with a bigger buffer will allow more data to be written to a drive without losing track of where it is in the platter.
This is a fact for all drives including CD and DVD drives. I thought that was common knowledge in the tech world.

A buffer is there to allow a drive to catch up to the data stream in the case that the drive has a small hiccup (vibrations)

These are the facts that I use as a tech everyday. I am also a computer technician so I get my facts from my years of experience and training.

Why is it that high end DAW software recommends certain drive speeds, latencies, and buffers.....   Because they need.

The R4 Pro has a user selectable buffer (1 second to 9 seconds or so).

The speed of the platters and the drives ability to write data is still far greater what the data stream being written to them is.     The sustainable write speed far exceeds what the data speed would ever be at 24/96.   

So again I ask why is the suggestion to replace the hard drive when there are NO facts to back it up as being the reason for the problems?

EDIT TO ADD:   tapermark's former R4 is a good example.  He has stated that he had the drive replaced and still had issues.     I'm all for replacing the drive to a bigger one if that fixes the problem but up until right now there is no proof of a new drive fixing things just alot of hearsay.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 04:39:01 PM by OFOTD »

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 05:12:23 PM »
I know nothing of the user selectable, b/c i didn't have a pro model.  However,
If you are writing 2x stereo tracks at 24/96 (4 total tracks) then you are writing over 1MB per second.  that is over half of your available buffer.  A one second skip, and you have lost data. b/c you can't buffer the next seconds worth of data, b/c you don't have room.  simple math.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 05:28:29 PM »
Whatever you will never get it.

Chris I am not trying to bust your balls here.  I am trying to understand yours and others reasonings. 

You seem to see alot of these units Chris.  Tell me what leads you to believe that replacing the hard drive is the cure for the problem?  People have spent $1000 or $2000 bucks on these units and the stock answer from you and others is "Replace the hard drive"  well all I want to know is why?  What facts lead you to that conclusion?      

The HD slow issue turned out to be a firmware issue and not a hardware issue although there is considerable documentation from Roland about vibration and sound pressure.  Vibrations seem to now be a potential issue for ANY hard drive based recorder and not just the R4/R4 Pro.  tapermark's problems were not solved by replacing the hard drive it seems.  Its not like this one particular HD is affected by vibration and pressure. 

I know nothing of the user selectable, b/c i didn't have a pro model.  However,
If you are writing 2x stereo tracks at 24/96 (4 total tracks) then you are writing over 1MB per second.  that is over half of your available buffer.  A one second skip, and you have lost data. b/c you can't buffer the next seconds worth of data, b/c you don't have room.  simple math.

You are right it is simple math.  The part of the equation that you have left out though is that both the R4 and R4 Pro have internal buffers as well as the buffer on the HD.   They call it pre-record buffer.  On the R4 Pro you can select how many seconds of buffer to use.  On the R4 it is predefined but from memory I believe it is 4 seconds at24/96 as it the actual seconds  depend on the bit and sample rates.  So then by using that math the bottleneck is actually at the internal buffer and not the HD buffer because it is assumed that the HD will have a few seconds to catch itself up because the internal buffer is taking care of well the buffering.

Here is a link to a PDF from Roland about the issue of sound pressure and vibration:  http://lib.roland.co.jp/manual/en/dl_06-13047/R-4_l_onatu_je1.pdf

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 05:41:42 PM »
Well if it was the internal buffer on the units then it should have been a simple firmware revision.

I know you think I am just guessing and on Mark's drive I  did take a shot in the dark to try a new drive I had not used in the past. As I stated before we run our gear in the field and there are too many variables to guaranty that the problem will never reoccur. So my professional opinion is that the upgraded drives should cure the problem but there is a chance that you will encounter variables that cause the problem to happen again.

All of the other upgraded drives have not had the problem since and even on machines that had it with the stock drive.

So the way I see it is that people come to me for advice and with my experience I give the answer that goes along with all of my knowledge and experience. Yes that part is professional opinion.

The drive stats are a fact and that is why I have posted about it multiple times in the past.

Also the newer faster notebook drives should not use more power and the heat they generate is negligible.

I did not see any change in battery life from stock to a 60GB 7200RPM 8MB buffer drive and that is a fact.

"Just Mod It"

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 05:44:03 PM »
Whatever we agree on or don't agree on HD wise the fact remains.  My R4 sucked ass and they (Roland) could care less.  Sounds like I'm not the only one.  Seen a lot more of these posts lately.  What other thing could you try but replace the HDD?  That's the only replacable thing in the machine.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 05:47:01 PM by tapermark »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 05:53:03 PM »
the fact remains.  My R4 sucked ass and they (Roland) could care less.  Sounds like I'm not the only one.  Seen a lot more of these posts lately.

Well, they cared about mine, and replaced it outright.  Not sure I've seen any other posts about people failing to have their issues resolved by Roland.  But maybe you mean HDD SLOW issues generally, and not necessarily support from Roland?
Roland R-05

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »
  What other thing could you try but replace the HDD?  That's the only replacable thing in the machine.

Totally agree with you Mark that the HD seems to be the easiest part to replace (aside from the work Chris and Doug do). 

My point as I have conveyed it to Chris via PM is that personally I find it irresponsible of anyone to just say to replace a hard drive without any reason other that it sounds like a good idea.

I know you had a bad experience with your unit of which i'm sure there are bound to be others.  It just seems to me that the replace hard drive answer is just alot of us guessing and not really knowing what the true problem is or where the problem is happening.  That is all i'm trying to get to the bottom of.  What is the true problem and where is the true part or section of the units that are causing or contributing to the problem.  Up until this point we still don't have an answer just alot of guesses.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 06:04:18 PM »
Yes I meant the HDD slow issue.  And you were lucky Brian.  Your's happened rather qickly after buying it.  Mine happened almost a year later.  They told me in March I was shit out of luck.  I might note the deck was only 13 months old at that point.

the fact remains.  My R4 sucked ass and they (Roland) could care less.  Sounds like I'm not the only one.  Seen a lot more of these posts lately.

Well, they cared about mine, and replaced it outright.  Not sure I've seen any other posts about people failing to have their issues resolved by Roland.  But maybe you mean HDD SLOW issues generally, and not necessarily support from Roland?

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 06:09:02 PM »
I wish we could find the answer out but without trying things one will never know.  Edirol certainly was no help to me.  And it seems the HDD replacement HAS worked for people...which upsets me even more really. 

And I'm not upset about the drive.  Bought me a little FW enclosure and now have a nice little 744 dump for the field.   ;)

What other thing could you try but replace the HDD?  That's the only replacable thing in the machine.

Totally agree with you Mark that the HD seems to be the easiest part to replace (aside from the work Chris and Doug do). 

My point as I have conveyed it to Chris via PM is that personally I find it irresponsible of anyone to just say to replace a hard drive without any reason other that it sounds like a good idea.

I know you had a bad experience with your unit of which i'm sure there are bound to be others.  It just seems to me that the replace hard drive answer is just alot of us guessing and not really knowing what the true problem is or where the problem is happening.  That is all i'm trying to get to the bottom of.  What is the true problem and where is the true part or section of the units that are causing or contributing to the problem.  Up until this point we still don't have an answer just alot of guesses.

And I really am not trying to hate on the R4.  I loved mine when it fuctioned and it's a ton easier to operate than the 744 let me tell ya.  I just wish Edirol could find the cause of the problem or should I say want to find the cause...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 06:11:30 PM by tapermark »

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 07:58:38 PM »

dave, i don't get why you're waving this flag so fervently today?  edirol themselves don't have the definitive answer.  you've spoken with ted rosen recently, and you correctly assessed that he knows what he's doing.  he's as stumped as any of us as to why this is happening, but brainstorming with him one night about potential solutions to the issue, he said something along the lines of "of course a larger disk cache might help the problem -- the unit has more wiggle room!" but he stopped short of recommending that i hack the unit myself, as i'm sure he can't advise customers to do such things.

my r4 had the HDD SLOW issue a few times, but only in situations where it was directly attributable to excessive vibration caused by louder-than-bombs bass notes.  have you seen the verbage in the literature about padding the unit, wrapping it in a towel and so-forth?  that came directly out of my first conversation with ted back in 2005 when we were grasping at straws about the issue.  i'm surprised it stuck, because it doesn't seem the most professional suggestion in the handbook of a $2000 device, but whatever...

now granted, a lot of user anecdotes can't be explained away by vibrations.  (most notably, skalinder's 4x1 24/48 condition reproducible on his unit.)  but mine was, and this also seems the case with many others.  when the disc is clearly not writing data due to vibration, how can you question those of us suggesting that enlarging the cache might solve the problem?  the cache is volatile storage where data goes before physically committed to the hd platters.  i'm thinking you aren't understanding the issue entirely because you quickly mentioned the pre-roll buffer vis a vis the HD cache in this thread.  the pre-roll buffer is not the same thing as HD cache at all.  further, it is also user-selectable on the original r4.

i'm also questioning your adamant supposition that a 2MB cache is *PLENTY* for 24/96 x 4.  have you done the math?  not that i i have either, but how many seconds exactly does that buy you at 24/96 x4?  not a whole lot.  if it were indeed *PLENTY*, the HDD SLOW issue wouldn't happen.  it's really as simple as that.

(again, there do seem to be cases where HDD SLOW isn't vibration-rooted.  i don't know how to address those ... but again, neither does edirol.)

regarding "What facts led you to that conclusion?" -- please realize we're still dealing with the bleeding edge here.  none of us, again including edirol, have a lot of facts about the issue.  it's not wrong to make a suggestion, even based on a hunch.  after all, i can't remember anyone stating fact-like, that the HDD SLOW issue would definitively disappear if the HDD were upgraded.  no, we're all just amateur scientists here probing around in the dark for the truth.

for me, it was pretty self-apparent that increasing the cache might help the issue.  the stock drive was obviously chosen by the manufacturer to keep the unit at a certain price point -- you can't really deny that logic.  a couple of years into the life of the unit, 8mb cache drives come down in price considerably, so tech-savvy end-users are doing the right thing and rolling the dice on a component that coulda/woulda/shoulda been in there from the get-go.

so far, my dice-rolling has paid off perfectly.  but i'd also never assume one person's anecdotal evidence makes for a hardened scientific truth.... so take my 100% happy-thus-far experiences with a grain of salt if you must.   :P

and finally, +t to you because i'm remembering your wide-eyed joy when you saw my r4 for the first time last fall!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »
i'm also questioning your adamant supposition that a 2MB cache is *PLENTY* for 24/96 x 4.  have you done the math?  not that i i have either, but how many seconds exactly does that buy you at 24/96 x4?  not a whole lot.  if it were indeed *PLENTY*, the HDD SLOW issue wouldn't happen.  it's really as simple as that.

Feeling a bit math-challenged at the moment, but giving this one a go.  :)

16.5 MB per track-minute at 24/96 * 4 tracks = 66 MB per 4-ch minute at 24/96

2 MB cache / 66 MB per 4-ch minute at 24/96 = 0.03 minutes per 4-ch minute at 24/96

0.03 4-ch minutes at 24/96 * 60 sec / min = 1.8 4-ch seconds per 2 MB cache

So...a total of 1.8 sec of buffer in the 2 MB on-HDD cache at 24/96.
Roland R-05

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »

now granted, a lot of user anecdotes can't be explained away by vibrations.  (most notably, skalinder's 4x1 24/48 condition reproducible on his unit.)  but mine was, and this also seems the case with many others.  when the disc is clearly not writing data due to vibration, how can you question those of us suggesting that enlarging the cache might solve the problem?  the cache is volatile storage where data goes before physically committed to the hd platters.  i'm thinking you aren't understanding the issue entirely because you quickly mentioned the pre-roll buffer vis a vis the HD cache in this thread.  the pre-roll buffer is not the same thing as HD cache at all.  further, it is also user-selectable on the original r4.

are you saying that the only buffer (sans hd) is the pre-roll? b/c i have been searching hard since it was posted, and i can't find ANY buffer besides the pre-roll listed on anything.  and you are correct, the pre-roll buffer ONLY captures data and appends it to the beginning of the file.  I cannot find any other buffer listed (if someone has a link, i would love to see it please).

and as far as the math...stereo 24/96 = 4.39MBit/Sec so if you are recording 2x stereo then you are at 8.87MBit/second which is 1.10875MB/sec... over half of the 2MB HD buffer.  possibly not more than another buffer, but i can't find that...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:30:27 PM by RaZoRbAcK »
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 08:44:39 PM »

Feeling a bit math-challenged at the moment, but giving this one a go.  :)

16.5 MB per track-minute at 24/96 * 4 tracks = 66 MB per 4-ch minute at 24/96

2 MB cache / 66 MB per 4-ch minute at 24/96 = 0.03 minutes per 4-ch minute at 24/96

0.03 4-ch minutes at 24/96 * 60 sec / min = 1.8 4-ch seconds per 2 MB cache

So...a total of 1.8 sec of buffer in the 2 MB on-HDD cache at 24/96.

That math works for me.  1.8 sec of HD buffer sounds right as well.   Also take into account the internal buffer of the unit (pre-roll as Razorback is referring to it).  That buffer is at least 4MB probably 8MB on the regular R4. 

If the HD has a full buffer then the internal buffer fills up to compensate until the HD buffer is clear.  That would leave you with a reserve of 3.6/7.2seconds (4MB/8MB) for the HD buffer to clear itself.  The sustainable not burst write speeds for hard drives of this size and rotational speed are 60-70 MB/sec with a buffer to disc data speed of over 400 MB/sec.  This eliminates the buffer speed theory and brings it back to the vibration/sound pressure theory.

I guess the point i'm trying to make here is that the problems associated with HDD Slow seem to be from vibration and sound pressure and not from the buffer.   When the majority of people that report problems with the R4/R4 Pro and then have follow-up be "replace the hard drive" I find that to be irresponsible.  There is absolutely NO proof that the buffer is the culprit.  None just an easy response to a problem to say its the drive. 

Is it possible that a different drive may handle vibrations better?  Sure.  But to say that a faster or bigger drive will do it just isn't right and i'm sure would depend on specific models anyways.

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »

If the HD has a full buffer then the internal buffer fills up to compensate until the HD buffer is clear. 

can you show me where you find this?  I honestly can't find it anywhere.

thanx

bj

also...sleepy called it the pre-roll  ;D

Auditory
it's magic 

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2007, 08:54:16 PM »
Vibration = HDD can't write data= buffer fills up= HDD slow

therefore  HDD bigger buffer = more space to hold data while the vibrations stop long enough for the hard drive to get back to writing data

"Just Mod It"

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 12:15:07 AM »
Hm, if its really vibration caused, those 64GB flash based drives from SanDisk should swap in directly and eliminate the problem entirely..

Besides Chris, you didn't have problems in the Crystal Ballroom during that RRE show  ;D

..and the floor was bouncing at least 6 inches for most of the night!  :o

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 12:51:02 AM »
just another reason why I run an 8GB CF card :)

i didnt like reading this thread for the simple fact that I always wanted an r-4 for my 4-mic setups, but after reading this thread, not so much. especially after hearing about rolands customer service :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 01:02:19 AM »

i didnt like reading this thread for the simple fact that I always wanted an r-4 for my 4-mic setups, but after reading this thread, not so much. especially after hearing about rolands customer service :(

Keep in mind:

• The squeaky wheel gets noticed.  There are likely plenty of R-4 owners who've never had a problem.
  • Some of us have experienced very positive customer support.
  • Only one person in this thread (whose unit was out of warranty) indicated unhappiness with customer support (and maybe one other person in another thread?  dunno...not necessarily keeping track of every single one).
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 02:03:17 AM »

Keep in mind:

• The squeaky wheel gets noticed.  There are likely plenty of R-4 owners who've never had a problem.
  • Some of us have experienced very positive customer support.
  • Only one person in this thread (whose unit was out of warranty) indicated unhappiness with customer support (and maybe one other person in another thread?  dunno...not necessarily keeping track of every single one).

+T, great points Brian!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2007, 02:22:45 AM »

Keep in mind:

• The squeaky wheel gets noticed.  There are likely plenty of R-4 owners who've never had a problem Yet.
  • Some of us have experienced very positive customer support when our unit malfunctoned after less than a month.
  • Only one person in this thread you can say my name(whose unit was out of warranty by barely a month) indicated unhappiness with customer support (and maybe one other person in another thread?  dunno...not necessarily keeping track of every single one).

Fixed that for you.  It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch.  Look at that R4 that's for sale in YS.  Has the reverse polarity thing.  Seems some folks (at least one) aren't aware of that issue.  That's not good.  I might also throw in not 2 weeks after I bought mine they lowered the price 200 and released the pro.  Frank and Jeff at Cascade are good friends and they knew nothing about it.  Lame communication with vendors as well.  Ya I'm bitter with Edirol, not the R4 but I have a right to be IMO.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007, 03:11:27 AM »
  • The squeaky wheel gets noticed.  There are likely plenty of R-4 owners who've never had a problem Yet.

Same could be said for any piece of gear.  There's always the possibility of problems arising with any high-tech gear.

• Some of us have experienced very positive customer support when our unit malfunctoned after less than a month.

Every new high-tech device, especially first generation like the original R4, has hiccups along the way.  The R4 isn't an exception.  No surprises here, and par for the course.

• Only one person in this thread you can say my name(whose unit was out of warranty by barely a month) indicated unhappiness with customer support (and maybe one other person in another thread?  dunno...not necessarily keeping track of every single one).

Didn't intend to hide your name, it's right here in the thread.  I'd be pissed, too.  That's poor customer service in my book, forget the strict deadline.  Not terribly surprising, though, dealing with a large, primarily consumer, electronics manufacturer.  I'd expect better from a company focused primarily on pro gear, like Sound Devices, but not from a company like Edirol.  One's response to issues like this often have to do with one's expectations up front, and I think expecting top-notch customer service out of a primarily consumer product company - and one that doesn't deal with gear that achieves massive adoption throughout the broader population (for example, like Apple) - isn't realistic.

Look at that R4 that's for sale in YS.  Has the reverse polarity thing.

Yup, that's my old unit.  Easy workaround, and easy warranty fix.  It's described in detail here on TS, and on the Edirol support site.  I bring it up on every R4 sale I see to ensure people know about it.  If people aren't aware of it, it's because they're either not paying attention or aren't looking for that level of detail (a simple search for keywords "R4" and "warranty" brings the the issue to light).

I might also throw in not 2 weeks after I bought mine they lowered the price 200 and released the pro.

I got hurt by the price drop, too.  Sucks!  But so goes high technology gear - prices fluctuate (typically downwards) rapidly.  And of course Edirol didn't tell anyone about the price drop.  If I were in their shoes (a large consumer electronics company), I wouldn't have either.

Anyway...what it ultimately boils down to for me is trying to battle against the far-too-swift creation of not-very-factual conventional wisdom.  I'm trying to provide some perspective because people read one or two comments about someone having problem with a piece of gear, and all of a sudden they start perpetuating the myth that the gear's nothing but trouble.  Happens all the time here, and in both directions:  X is nothing but trouble, Y is the perfect device, etc.  Bean's comments reflect a perfect example of the former, and the kind of notion against which I'll continue to speak up.

In other words...as you continue to bring up your problems at nearly every opportunity (and I don't blame you for doing so), I'll continue to provide what I perceive as balance and perspective so people don't think the R4's a terrible unit and Edirol an awful company.  Nothing personal, and no hard feelings.  :)
Roland R-05

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 04:25:17 AM »
You're totally spot on right Brian but ya I will continue to vent my anger.   >:D  And I really was a bigtime R4 fluffer in my day.  I believe if you search you'll find a post where I say I'd never buy a 744.  Waste of $$.  lol
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:26:48 AM by tapermark »

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 07:52:38 AM »
No problems with my R-4. I've run it at 24/96, 2 x stereo in a very bass heavy environment without any issues. Sorry to hear that some of you are still having problems. Is it somehow serial number/build date related?

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2007, 07:56:31 AM »
I haven't had any problems with either of the R-4s I've owned.

I'm curious has any one with the r-4 pro ever experienced any problems? anyone ever heard of any problems with other r-4 owners?

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2007, 10:24:22 AM »
I haven't had any problems with either of the R-4s I've owned.

I'm curious has any one with the r-4 pro ever experienced any problems? anyone ever heard of any problems with other r-4 owners?

GratefulPhish had a couple of issues with his r4 pro and quickly dumped it for a 722.  one was a power concern, one was a file corruption isuse IIRC.

Offline salmonite

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2007, 03:16:17 PM »
So I should find a heavily cushioned, larger capacity HD with a 90 sec. buffer ;D JK. Geez I don't pay attn. to this thread for a second and kablow :o. Thanks to everyone who posted there individual experiences with there units, I have learned more than I thought I would. Re-formatted last night, running it tonight. Hopefully no worries. Thanks again.

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2007, 12:26:37 PM »
Vibration = HDD can't write data= buffer fills up= HDD slow
therefore  HDD bigger buffer = more space to hold data while the vibrations stop long enough for the hard drive to get back to writing data

Well, it surely depends.
 - Are we 100% certain that the write cache is used by the R4? The R4 might elect to flush the cashe after every write.   
 - And are we 100% sure that write cashing is on in the actual harddiscs? It can be disabled.

I would guess that write cache is factory default on all drives now, but I am not certain. I would also guess that when a "bump" happens, the disc  marks a physical sector error and writes to one of the spare sectors. Once the spare sectors are all used up, the disc disables write cache (at least, some do, example can be Hitachi). I think there are ways to run diagnostics to gain back the sectors, but then again, what do I know.

It is possible to turn on and off write cache for a drive. See how this is done on some Hitachi drives (page 13):
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/FTool_User_Guide_206.pdf

Gunnar

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2007, 01:02:11 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,61787.30.html

Doesn't the final post here seem to dismiss the vibration theory...?

After all - wouldnt there be tons of similar problems in the JB3/Iriver/lappy scene if vibrations were screwing with hard drives?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.308 seconds with 74 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com