Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Olympus LS-10 Recorder  (Read 46291 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Olympus LS-10 Recorder
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:46:48 AM »

Olympus LS-10 Recorder out now. 

No digi input, and what is with these new recorders with built in mics?

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1350&fl=4

Olympus LS-10 Recorder Delivers Superior Sound Quality and Professional Features to Musicians

True All-In-One Digital Portable Audio Device Lets Audiophiles Record in Uncompressed Linear PCM Format

CENTER VALLEY, Pa., January 3, 2008 - Olympus, the market leader for portable digital voice recorders and professional dictation devices, now leverages its audio expertise with the LS-10 Linear PCM Audio Recording Device, the ultimate portable professional recording tool for musicians and everyone who values high-quality recording. Straight out of the box, the intuitive and easy-to-use LS-10 delivers the high fidelity of a portable professional recording studio in an extremely light, go-anywhere body. No extra gear is required to record audio in uncompressed 24 bit/96 kHz Linear PCM format for digital stereo recordings true to the original performance. In addition to WAV, the LS-10 records and plays back in the common WMA and MP3 formats.

The LS-10 contains many unique and innovative features, including the following:

* Uncompressed 24 bit/96 kHz Linear PCM recording capability;
* WAV, MP3 and WMA recording and playback;
* Elegant and durable aluminum body;
* 2GB Built-in memory and a SD/SDHC removable media card slot that can accommodate SD cards;
* Built-in stereo speakers for instant playback of recordings;
* High sensitivity built-in stereo microphones;
* Manual Recording Level Adjustment to obtain the optimum level;
* Remote jack for optional wireless remote controller;
* Recording battery life of 12 hours; and
* Large 1.8-inch LCD with backlight.

"The LS-10 will bring music to the masses by allowing musicians and audio enthusiasts to produce studio-quality recordings," said Andrew Flagg, director, Sales and Marketing, Olympus Imaging America Inc. "As more and more people return to playing musical instruments themselves, the LS-10 will help them reach their true potential as performers and allow them to share their music with friends and family. Whether it is used by a band of amateur musicians or an orchestra, the LS-10 offers the best sound quality, ease of use, and feature set in the industry and produces recordings that are faithful to the original performance."

High Quality Recording

The LS-10 features uncompressed 24 bit/96kHz Linear PCM recording capability, to capture the rich sound quality of music performances. It has the versatility to record and play back in the WAV, MP3 and WMA formats. The LS-10 can record with its internal microphone or by plugging in an external microphone. The LS-10's value extends beyond the realm of music. Students will find it useful for recording lectures and journalists for recording high-quality interviews for broadcasts and podcasts.

Elegant and Intuitive Design

An enlarged, backlit LCD is easy to read and shows file information, recording time and events clearly. The device is outfitted with an ergonomic dial thumb pad allowing the user to play or stop a recording, adjust the volume level, fast-forward and rewind with the touch of one button. The Erase and Folder/Index buttons are positioned individually below the thumb dial for easy access.

Durability

The LS-10 has a lightweight and durable aluminum body. This keeps the weight of the LS-10 to a mere 5.8 ounces including batteries.

Memory Capacity and Expandability

The LS-10 has two gigabytes of internal flash memory to capture lengthy recordings. The LS-10 also features an SD/SDHC removable media card slot to further expand its capacity. During a busy day of recording, changing SD cards is an easy way for users to capture more audio without taking the time to download files to a computer.

Recording and Listening

The LS-10 can play back the high-quality audio it records and play it back on its built-in stereo speakers with vibrancy and clarity. These speakers allow more than one person to listen to a new recording simultaneously to help collaborating musicians evaluate recording progress on the fly.

Wireless Control

The optional exclusive wireless remote controller allows users to start and stop the recording of the LS-10 from a distance. This is ideal for live performances when the LS-10 can be placed near the stage and activated from several rows back.

Battery Life

The LS-10 can record 12 hours on two AA batteries, longer than many competing Linear PCM recorders and long enough for an all-day event.

Accessories

The LS-10 ships with Steinberg CUBASE LE 4 Sound editing software with 48 sound tracks and variety of effects, a carrying case, USB cable, audio cable, wind screen, two AA batteries, a strap, an instruction manual and Olympus warranty card.

Optional accessories for the LS-10 include an infrared remote control, AC adaptor, conference microphones (ME30W), Carrying Bag, Tripod, Rechargeable Battery (Ni-MH) and Charger, a zoom microphone, and a headset.

Pricing and Availability

The LS-10 provides excellent uncompressed audio recording at a fraction of the price of competing Linear PCM recorders. The LS-10 Digital Audio Device has an estimated street price of $399.99 (U.S.) and will be available in January 2008.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Olympus LS-10 Recorder
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:51:51 AM »
the built in 2gb of memory is pretty sweet..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:06:07 AM »
Has anybody seen/heard one yet? Looks like there's another choice for "all in one" recorders!
DPA4060
R09

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:02:58 PM »
Interesting.  Looks like Olympus wants to grab some market share from the R09, PMD620, and PCM-D50.  Similar price and size to the R09 and PMD620, and, like them, takes 2AA batteries.  Speaker like the Marantz and 96kHz, aluminum body and built-in memory like the PCM-D50...

Sort of skeptical about the 12 hour record time on a pair of AA's though.

I wonder how it sounds?  When I think of Olympus, I don't think about audio gear (unlike Edirol, Marantz or Sony)...

Offline mozmoz8

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
Curious to know if it has seamless splits and what the quality of the AD is.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 09:33:49 PM »
Olympus has been making handheld tape recorders for years.  Their stuff is popular amongst the Media folks.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »
Got an e-mail from SoundPros about this today. $348 from them.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 11:54:15 PM »
Good:

Nice sleek design. Different from all the other recorders in that regard.

Bad:

I'm not thrilled about the HOLD and POWER functions being on the same switch.  A definite flaw. 

Offline gearscout

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 07:57:23 AM »
For Olympus, the "hold" function is basically to turn power off completely.  Otherwise, the buttons will bring it alive or it could be in a mode to voice activate.  So the "Power Hold" switch is just the power switch...not a "Pause" function.   At least that describes it as it is implemented on other Olympus recorders.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:56:38 AM by gearscout »

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 10:47:12 AM »
Any news about this machine?

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 12:45:34 AM »
No news -- it's not released yet.  This has not stopped some dealers from taking orders.  I've seen prices as low as $295 (neutronexpress.com). Just be sure the dealer promises not to charge your credit card until the recorder ships.

Flintstone

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 01:51:15 PM »
Oooohhhhwwww me like!  And lotsa buttons too  ;D
I bet you can get away with it when you're caught and tell them it's a new design cell-phone :D
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline mozmoz8

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 11:11:57 AM »
Hi, I've contacted them if the recorder has seamless splits but they did not answer. Maybe someone in the forum can also ask. If it does have seamless splits then it will be a great recorder for it's size  ;D

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »
It seems, that they don't sell it in europe or maybe it'll be here delayed, because they told me to ask Olympus America for further informations. If it'll be sold here in germany in the near future, they would have been told me so (maybe they simply don't know it better).

Offline Nixoo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 01:41:22 PM »
It seems, that they don't sell it in europe or maybe it'll be here delayed, because they told me to ask Olympus America for further informations. If it'll be sold here in germany in the near future, they would have been told me so (maybe they simply don't know it better).

Not in europe? Dang..  :banging head: :jawdrop:
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 01:50:25 PM »

Not in europe? Dang..  :banging head:

The indomitable forces of global capitalism will ensure that some get over here to the Netherlands, Nixoo... ;)

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 01:54:34 PM »
I wrote them to definitely clear it.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 09:02:20 PM »
For Olympus, the "hold" function is basically to turn power off completely.  Otherwise, the buttons will bring it alive or it could be in a mode to voice activate.  So the "Power Hold" switch is just the power switch...not a "Pause" function.   At least that describes it as it is implemented on other Olympus recorders.

Hope this will answer some of your questions regarding this recorder:

Actually, the hold function will not turn off the recorder. It is a similar switch as the MR-1. If you press down it will power on and if you click upward it will act as a hold switch.

The pictures does not really show much but there is also a "pause" option. If you press the REC it will not record straight away but will be in REC pause mode. You need to press the REC again to start recording. If you press the REC during recording it will pause the recording.

The remote is planned to be released in the Spring of 2008 so you have to wait a little longer.

You can adjust the brightness and contrast on the monitor.

There's a few extra features, which I will not go into.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:28:59 PM by scyue »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 01:20:04 AM »
Scyue,

Obviously you have preview information about this recorder.
Did you see it at CES?

Can you (or anyone else) confirm that the "late January"
release date is still likely?  Or has the release slipped to March?

Flintstone

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »
I don't know if it will be release on time. But what I do know is it will also be released worldwide including Europe (but not the same time). No I didn't go to CES. Another interesting info good for you is it can take 5V external battery like the MT and MR-1, but I doubt you need it because it runs for many more hours than any of the recorders in the market.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
"it runs for many more hours than any of the recorders in the market."

Maybe modify this statement to say "than any of the recorders that use two AAs for power."  Olympus claims up to 12 hours of battery life while recording.  The Sony PCM-D50 can match that, but it carries 4 AAs.

Others have made disparaging remarks about Olympus because until now they have focused on gear for dictation and notes-taking.  Instead, I see a company that has worked hard to create reliable and easy-to-use audio recording equipment.  I think their step up to "semi-pro" music recorder will be successful.

Flintstone

Offline Nixoo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 01:53:48 PM »
Scyue, thanks for the heads-up! Please keep us updated :) +T

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 02:13:11 PM »
Thanks!

+T for you, too  :)

Offline HarpDoc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »
Scyue, any idea how many volts of plug-in power the LS-10 will provide to mics?

Offline Mike Rivera

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Company
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 08:36:12 PM »
It's been almost two weeks since the last post - anybody have any news?

I really like my Olympus DS-30 Voice Recorder and carry it a lot.  This would be a nice upgrade from that and a nice backup to my main Field Recorder (D-50) and for when I don't have it with me and something spontaneous pops up.

- Mike

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 09:05:57 AM »
It's been almost two weeks since the last post - anybody have any news?

I really like my Olympus DS-30 Voice Recorder and carry it a lot.  This would be a nice upgrade from that and a nice backup to my main Field Recorder (D-50) and for when I don't have it with me and something spontaneous pops up.

- Mike

I made a recent call to Olympus and was told it would be late February-early March for release. Also, they apparently will not post the manual online until release.

In Canada, Olympus doesn't have very good distribution. These units might end up being sold in camera stores, i.e., Henry's, etc.

- Phil
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline colorado_bob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 01:56:20 AM »

Offline mozmoz8

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 03:44:19 AM »
Hi Thanks looks interesting.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 04:23:28 AM »
The manual is now online

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/LS-10_Instructions_EN.pdf

Thanks.

Here is something I saw at a quick glance:  "If you are recording into a file and the batteries run out, you will lose your currently recorded file because the file header will not be able to close."

This manual is a bit light on the specs.  Nothing about the internal mics or how many volts of plug-in power or that sort of thing.

I am curious to see one of these.  It's really small...

Offline mozmoz8

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 01:05:24 AM »
HI This is one of the smallest 24 bit recorders I've seen. If they added a digital-in it will be too good. Just hope by next year a company makes one as small as this with digital-in.

Offline mozmoz8

• Taperssection Regular

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 11:22:23 PM »
Here's another vendor that claims to have received the LS-10 on 15 Feb.

http://www.startstop.com/ls10.asp

Unfortunately they don't publish a price.  They do offer free 1-Day shipping and an unconditional 30 day money back guarantee.  (You have to pay their shipping cost if you return the unit.)

Flintstone

Offline colorado_bob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 11:49:34 PM »
Here's another vendor that claims to have received the LS-10 on 15 Feb.

http://www.startstop.com/ls10.asp

Unfortunately they don't publish a price.  They do offer free 1-Day shipping and an unconditional 30 day money back guarantee.  (You have to pay their shipping cost if you return the unit.)

Flintstone

Although their webpage invites you to call for a custom quote, if you just press "Buy Now" it comes up as $399.99 (which is mentioned as the List Price) - 99 cents over the eBay vendor.

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2008, 05:12:34 PM »
Competition is heating up... can't wait to see the reviews on this.

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2008, 11:34:28 PM »
Hello:

Just FYI, our first shipment is arriving Monday 2-18-08 and we are shipping to everyone who pre-ordered one the same day. I don't want to get into an advertisement here, so if you want info, please email or call us.

We are anxious to check out this recorder!

The Sound Professionals, Inc.
800-213-3021
www.soundprofessionals.com

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 05:27:59 PM »
Competition is heating up... can't wait to see the reviews on this.

Some consumer reviews are out now on Amazon, but nobody have tested it in a concert situation yet:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R329DEJK9OCXEG

Doesn't say much more than we know already, but confirms that the build quality is good.
And there's a link to a dealer selling it for $355 + shipping :-)

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline soundpro

• Taperssection Member
Re: Olympus LS-10 Recorder $348.00 Starts 12:00AM Friday 2-22-08
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 10:50:20 PM »
Hello:

A quick message. We received our first shipment of the LS-10 recorders on Monday and they are gone. We pulled a few strings and we are getting exactly 10 extra units we were not expecting, due to arrive on Tuesday (yes, the supply is very short on these right now).

.....for Taperssection members only, we will sell them at $348.00.....ten units only, limit one per customer, sale ends when the 10 are gone, no other discounts apply. Starts at midnight tonight. To get the price, enter this coupon at checkout:

tapersls10

Here is the link:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/OL-LS-10

Ok, the disclaimer: I apologize for putting this here, but I really want them to go to people on this board, as a thank you for your continued support. If this really pisses people off, I promise I won't do it again. Send your complaints to sales@soundprofessionals.com

For less time sensitive specials, we do list them on the retail board.

Thanks!

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
www.soundprofessionals.com
800-213-3021

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 01:06:35 AM »
i cant imagine anyone getting bent over that deal. +t
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline mozmoz8

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 02:50:15 AM »
Does that price include S&H within USA?

Offline gearscout

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 06:44:04 AM »
I've got a new one in the box...I'll report on it this weekend!

;-)

Offline soundpro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »
Hello:

For this special, shipping is not included. You can use only one discount coupon per order.

The Sound Professionals

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »
Eager minds want to know! I may be selling my new R-09.

I've got a new one in the box...I'll report on it this weekend!

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2008, 01:52:32 PM »
LS-10 looks to be a great little deck (needs bench testing to know for sure), and seems to be the first potentially pro-quality flash deck to easily pass as being a cell phone with its slim profile case.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

PeterE

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2008, 02:30:35 PM »
Guy,

Are you basing your positive comment on having heard its sound? Any other TS'ers have anything to report?

Olympus LS-10 is out and Tascam DR-1 is just about to come out, so my curiosity is peaking.

thx Guy and all!

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 10:19:29 PM »
Guy,

Are you basing your positive comment on having heard its sound? Any other TS'ers have anything to report?

Olympus LS-10 is out and Tascam DR-1 is just about to come out, so my curiosity is peaking.

thx Guy and all!

No audition as yet here or posted it seems.  News is LS-10 has just started shipping for $400 price.  Wish someone would send one here on short loan for some testing for knowing what's up with the inputs.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dwissl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »
Here's a German language test recording created with the built-in mics of the LS-10, high mic sensitivity, sounds a bit noisy in my opinion, but perhaps, the preamp produces less noise, when external mics are used:

http://www.audiotranskription.de/podcast/LS-10.mp3

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »
LS-10 looks to be a great little deck (needs bench testing to know for sure), and seems to be the first potentially pro-quality flash deck to easily pass as being a cell phone with its slim profile case.

I was thinking the same thing, especially since it comes with a nice leather case that appears to hide the mics a bit.  It would be quite feasible to walk through the turnstile holding this thing to your ear and having it pass as a somewhat largish cell phone. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2008, 06:12:34 AM »
It would be quite feasible to walk through the turnstile holding this thing to your ear and having it pass as a somewhat largish cell phone.
Well, that's quite possible - I've got through holding my Zoom H2 to my chin and pretending to be having a shave.

OK, I'm fibbing.  ;)

Offline mozmoz8

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2008, 01:35:46 PM »
I know there are a few members here who has the LS-10 now so I'm just curious if it can do seamless splits.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:07:29 PM by mozmoz8 »

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2008, 04:18:47 PM »
Seamless splits: NO 
When the recorder arrives at 2GB, it saves the file and stops.

The LS-10's file size limit for MP3 and WMA is 4GB! Maybe Olympus
can be convinced to add a 4GB limit for WAV as well in a future
firmware update.

Olympus audio products used to be limited to dictation gear. 
This means Olympus audio dealers are not oriented to
"audiophile" pricing.  So I expect to see deeper discounts
in the future.

Flintstone

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2008, 07:05:44 PM »
"I went today and tested both, the Olympus LS-10 and the Tascam DR-1. Tascam won hands down. I really WANTED to buy the Olympus, because it looks cool and sexy, but the limiter was BAD and we were unable to record drums without distortion. I think it is really really good for interviews etc but defo not for my loud band rehearsals."

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=20674&view=findpost&p=132323

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2008, 02:23:13 PM »
"I went today and tested both, the Olympus LS-10 and the Tascam DR-1. Tascam won hands down. I really WANTED to buy the Olympus, because it looks cool and sexy, but the limiter was BAD and we were unable to record drums without distortion. I think it is really really good for interviews etc but defo not for my loud band rehearsals."

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=20674&view=findpost&p=132323

Post further on, same page:

"I in NO way regret , letting go of the Zoom H2 ."
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »
It would be quite feasible to walk through the turnstile holding this thing to your ear and having it pass as a somewhat largish cell phone.
Well, that's quite possible - I've got through holding my Zoom H2 to my chin and pretending to be having a shave.

OK, I'm fibbing.  ;)

lol... that would work with the R-90 too... that thing looks almost exactly like my electric shaver.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2008, 04:13:37 PM »
Seamless splits: NO 
When the recorder arrives at 2GB, it saves the file and stops.

Ohhh.. that is bad news.  Guess I'll be selling the LS-10 when I get it and keeping the R-09 after all, sheesh.

Offline su6oxone

video demo
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2008, 10:39:17 PM »
Here's a video of a demo by an Olympus rep (I think).  Looking forward to user reviews in concert settings.

http://livefrom.musicplayer.com/clip.aspx?key=BD6B352C8432BE61

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »
I've got to say that level dial looks way too easy to move by accident in stealthing situations -- unless there's a hold function that renders it useless, but considering it's numbered on the dial, I doubt hold will prevent level changes (in your pocket for example).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 04:02:56 PM »
The level dial is protected by the protruding edge of the speaker.  The dial is slightly smaller in diameter than the speaker so it doesn't turn when you rub against the case.  Also, there's a bit of resistance when you turn the level dial.  It's unlikely to move by accident.  The numbers on the level dial are pretty small, and they are hard to read when the lighting is poor.

Flintstone

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 08:46:13 PM »
The level dial is protected by the protruding edge of the speaker.  The dial is slightly smaller in diameter than the speaker so it doesn't turn when you rub against the case.  Also, there's a bit of resistance when you turn the level dial.  It's unlikely to move by accident.  The numbers on the level dial are pretty small, and they are hard to read when the lighting is poor.

Flintstone

Have you tried it out in real world recording situations?  Please let us know how you like it!

Offline IanR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »
The manual is now online

On page 25 of the manual, it says *don't* connect an external mic to the line-in jack.

Oh dear.

Offline mozmoz8

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2008, 01:14:49 PM »
The manual is now online

On page 25 of the manual, it says *don't* connect an external mic to the line-in jack.

Oh dear.

You're suppose to connect a preamp to the line-in jack, which is more logical.

Offline gearscout

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2008, 11:10:35 AM »
Really interesting:  Talked with an Olympus engineer a few days ago.  The LS-10's mic preamps are made by the very same company that makes the Sony PCM-D50 pre-amps.

Offline jboyzh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2008, 12:27:14 PM »
I've got the LS-10 for some days now, and like to share my first impressions:

The device is very nicely built, and it's super easy to use with the big rec button and red LED light when recording (can be switched off). After some 15 minutes, I went through the menus and they're easily understandable even without manual.

After having used the microtrack, I'm overwhelmed by the LS-10. I think the LS-10 just sounds great, has extremely sensitive internal mics, and quite low noise (IMO, but can't compare to the D50...).

The volume- and rec-level dials still work when on hold, but they are quite hard to move so that this doesn't matter to me at all.

My only two, rather small complaints are the not so very high maximum phone level, and the 2GB WAV-file limit (mp3s are 4GB). Interestingly, the manual sais the file limit for all files was 4GB, so one can hope this will be corrected with a firmware update. Other than that, I'm very happy having bought this one as a successor to the MT.

This is a damn nice toy :-)

Offline IanR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2008, 03:48:10 AM »
I have had my LS-10 for a couple of days now. It is a very nicely made machine, but there is one problem: the Line-in doesn't work at well with external mics and pre-amp.

I made some recordings using Sonic Studios DSM6S-EH mics and a Sonic Studios PA-3SX preamp, plugged into the LS-10's Line-in. With two other recorders, a Nagra Ares M and a Zoom H2, this set-up has worked fine. Not so with the Olympus.

Although those mics are sensitive, and the PA-3SX was set to maximum gain, *and* the LS-10's rec level wheel was set to maximum, the sound levels recorded were still very low. This is really disappointing, as in other regards the LS-10 seems a well-thought-out bit of kit.

Reading the specs in the manual shows Line-in to have an impedance of 78k-Ohm. I have no technical expertise but from memory some other recorder specs have Line-in impedances of around 20k-Ohm. Maybe this is something to with the problem.

Offline merrycinemax

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »
LS-10's EIN is tested to be -121 dBu (A) according to
http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm
The PCM-D50 is claimed to have EIN comparible to fr-2le.
Therefore, -129 dBu (A) would be a reference.
However, unless you use dynamic mics, there would be difference regarding to the EIN of the two preamps. Otherwise, the system would mostly be dominated by the self-noise of the condenser mics.
More information can be found in
http://www.rane.com/note148.html

Offline IanR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2008, 05:30:11 AM »
Emailed Olympus about the very low Line-in sensitivity. The reply basically said, "It's made that way, there's nothing you can do about it."

Have tried plugging the external mics and external pre-amp into the Mic socket and using the lowest settings, but the results aren't good that way either. Will probably try to sell the machine and get a Marantz PMD 620 or the new upgraded Edirol R-09.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2008, 05:37:44 AM »
the sound levels recorded were still very low
As a matter of interest, how low is low?  What did the recording actually peak to?

Offline IanR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 05:46:53 AM »
I managed to push the levels to a mighty -12dB by shouting loudly into the mics from a distance of about 3 feet  ;D That's with everything set to maximum on pre-amp and recorder.

But the low Line-in sensitivity aside, the LS-10 is good in other ways, so it'll be a shame to have to sell it.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:50:40 AM by IanR »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2008, 07:31:28 AM »
I don't recommend this recorder at all...... unless you're using it for what it was intended:  ENG. 

Even so, the Olympus is extremely noisy and very thin sounding.  Check out the www.wingfieldaudio.com samples.  These samples reflect the tonal quality your sound will reflect with a particular recorder.   

Offline kamikaze

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »
What do you recommend then because I'm eyeing this recorder?  As per avisoft.com this recorder has a nice -121 dBu (A weighted) EIN.  I was trying to decide between this recorder and R-09HR but I don't know R-09HR's EIN.  So I'm sticking to this recorder.  Just waiting for the price to drop down a little bit.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2008, 06:26:41 PM »
Get an R09 or wait for the new R09HR.  Either is head n' shoulders above this recorder as far as sound quality.  Forget about the stats and go with what you hear. 

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2008, 06:55:31 PM »
Emailed Olympus about the very low Line-in sensitivity. The reply basically said, "It's made that way, there's nothing you can do about it."

The line-in specs for the ls-10 seem to be reasonable, and I don't think the impedence is the problem.  All I can think is that your particular ls-10 is defective, unless something has gone wrong with your mics or preamp.  Can you try it with another input?

Offline jboyzh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2008, 11:34:13 PM »
@IanR: Sorry to hear about your negative experience with your equipment. Especially that also trying with the mic-in set to low didn't help either. What was the problem when going that way?

With my LS-10, I can only partly confirm this. As for input levels, yes the line-in is adjustable from quiet to just normal level, but if I want to rec really low line-levels, I can change to mic-in set to low which works very well here. Having this combined line-in range is more than sufficient for my needs.

@spyder9: What do you base "very noisy and thin sounding" on?

I already recorded two live classical concertos and did some experimental outside recordings. With "low-cut" set off, I find the sound to be natural, and completely with enough bass. As for the noise, I only notice it when mic-sense is set to high, but still all my earlier mini-disc recorders and the MT had much higher noise levels, so the LS-10 produces the least noise of all devices I've ever owned.

Best portability, and long-time mp3 recordings (@256mbps) are also important to me, that's why I didn't go for the D50. For my ears, the LS-10 records more than good, but maybe that's from someone who still used tape in his younger days :-)

My only small two complaints: The maximum output level is not extremely high, I'd appreciate if it went a little higher. And I hope the 2GB file limit for WAV (mp3s are 4GB strangely) will be corrected, even more as the manual states a 4GB limit for all files.

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2008, 12:28:13 AM »
Two things:

1. R-09 is a solid performer, based on what I've seen and heard of the LS-10, I'd recommend the R-09.

2. WAV has a 2 GB file limitation.  WAV files larger than 2 GB are non-standard (though many apps will handle them now).  The 4 GB limit is based on the file system (in this case FAT32)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2008, 02:26:56 AM »
2. WAV has a 2 GB file limitation.  WAV files larger than 2 GB are non-standard (though many apps will handle them now).  The 4 GB limit is based on the file system (in this case FAT32)

I think the file limit is actually 4 GB.  According to the wikipedia:

Quote from: wikipedia
The WAV format is limited to files that are less than 4 GB in size, due to its use of a 32 bit unsigned integer to record the file size header (some programs limit the file size to 2-4 GB).

EDIT:  For what it's worth, my recorder will record 4 GB files.  At first, I was just running one file for a long show but now I break it into two at the set break or between songs.  The huge files are pretty cumbersome to deal with, at least on my middling laptop. :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 04:32:14 AM by aaronji »

Offline IanR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2008, 05:36:22 AM »
The line-in specs for the ls-10 seem to be reasonable, and I don't think the impedence is the problem.  All I can think is that your particular ls-10 is defective, unless something has gone wrong with your mics or preamp.  Can you try it with another input?

Hi there, I have tried my mic and pre-amp with three other recorders borrowed from work: a Nagra Ares M, a Marantz PMD 620 and (very briefly) a Zoom H2. They all worked fine. It could be that my particular LS-10 is defective but some of the reviews and comments on the Amazon.com pages for the LS-10 describe similar problems (should have read them before buying eh  :-\). Would be good to try and compare results with another LS-10 though.

jboyzh: Thanks for your comments. Using the Mic socket is less than ideal as I can't plug my mics straight into the LS-10. They terminate in a mini-XLR and there are powering issues specific to DSM mics. So they have to go via the external pre-amp anyway. The result is over-sensitivity and an unacceptable amount of hiss.

However, recorded an interview last night using the LS-10's internal mics and the result sounded good. The machine's build quality, battery life, ergonomics and combination of 2Gb internal memory and SD card slot are all excellent too.

". . . and how long have you been a treefrog?"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 05:43:38 AM by IanR »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »

I've owned the Zoom H4, Marantz PMD620, Sony PCM-D50, Tascam DR-1, Edirol R-1, and Edirol R09.  IMO, the R09 sounds best, followed by the 620 as a close 2nd.

Click the link below and check out the samples.

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples.html

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2008, 07:02:58 PM »

I've owned the Zoom H4, Marantz PMD620, Sony PCM-D50, Tascam DR-1, Edirol R-1, and Edirol R09.  IMO, the R09 sounds best, followed by the 620 as a close 2nd.

SLUT!   >:D   ;D

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2008, 10:00:35 PM »
 :lol: :turnevil:

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2008, 12:59:58 PM »

Seems to me you had a Tascam HD P2 for a while...based on the list though, I think it was an honest oversight.  8)
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »
True, but the P2 is a full size recorder.  The above are handheld recorders.  Totally different animal(s).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:59:57 PM by spyder9 »

Offline jboyzh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2008, 02:42:10 AM »

Not much to argue against this list :-) and I also understand what you mean by checking wingfieldaudio. It's true IMO that the internal mics of the LS-10 do sound quite bright. For classical concerts, I use an external mic anyway which yelds some deeper sound. Compared to other handhelds, I don't think noise is an issue with the LS-10 however.

After all, I can hear sound character and noise depend more on the mic than the recorder itself; check those samples:
http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-noise.html
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:34:44 PM by jboyzh »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2008, 09:51:45 PM »
The DR-1 sounds pretty good in those noise samples.  Warmest sound of the bunch.

To add, where can I get one of those FEL 3.5 thingamabobs in the States?

http://www.felmicamps.co.uk/products/fel3.5series.html 

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »
LS-10 measurements. These were taken from the headphone output of the recorder I will post tests of the actual wav files when I get around to making them. There are clearly issues with using the mic input as far as  low frequency response is concerned. I think they limited the low end of the mic input to prevent overload of the built in speakers...That's my theory anyway.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2008, 05:42:17 AM »
I think they limited the low end of the mic input to prevent overload of the built in speakers...That's my theory anyway.

I think it's more that the LS-10 is a small recorder that will often be used outdoors for interview work and the bass roll-off was put in to minimise wind and handling noise.

Either that, or that was the circuit compromise they had to do to maximise battery life - ie: putting in a full frequency response mic. pre. required components with a higher current drain.

That's my theory anyway.

If the answer was the former, I wish they had made it switchable.

Oh - thanks for the graphs, by the way, very useful.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2008, 08:00:28 AM »
I think they limited the low end of the mic input to prevent overload of the built in speakers...That's my theory anyway.

I think it's more that the LS-10 is a small recorder that will often be used outdoors for interview work and the bass roll-off was put in to minimise wind and handling noise.

Either that, or that was the circuit compromise they had to do to maximise battery life - ie: putting in a full frequency response mic. pre. required components with a higher current drain.

That's my theory anyway.

The other thing I found out is the line input is at unity gain when the input level is at 10. I have been trying to get a schematic from Olympus but no luck if I can see the schematic I might be able to see where the HPF is in the circuit and remove it. I think if the bass roll off can be fixed it would be a good thing. It might be firmware based. But I am thinking its a few caps.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »

That's my theory anyway.

The other thing I found out is the line input is at unity gain when the input level is at 10. I have been trying to get a schematic from Olympus but no luck if I can see the schematic I might be able to see where the HPF is in the circuit and remove it. I think if the bass roll off can be fixed it would be a good thing. It might be firmware based. But I am thinking its a few caps.
In 4 hours I´ll tape a show using the internals/then dpa4061 on mic-in with bbox and plugin-power OFF/and the 3rd part of the show on line-in.
To get an idea how this unit´s internal bass-roll-off(internals and mic-in) works with "bassy" DPA mics. Might be a wanted roll-off using 4061s. Nevertheless you can boost low-frequenecies in post. I guess mic-in´s sensitivity won´t have any problems also at loud rock shows with low-sens DPA 4061s.
3 samples to come tomorrow.... ;).
I recorded from Radio on LINE-in yesterday and had to use gain 7 (of 10) for levels peaking at -1.

Chris, how do you like the ls-10´ look and feel? ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:32:51 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »

That's my theory anyway.

In 4 hours I´ll tape a show using the internals/then dpa4061 on mic-in with bbox and plugin-power OFF/and the 3rd part of the show on line-in.
To get an idea how this unit´s internal bass-roll-off(internals and mic-in) works with "bassy" DPA mics. Might be a wanted roll-off using 4061s. Nevertheless you can boost low-frequenecies in post. I guess mic-in´s sensitivity won´t have any problems also at loud rock shows with low-sens DPA 4061s.
3 samples to come tomorrow.... ;).
I recorded from Radio on LINE-in yesterday and had to use gain 7 (of 10) for levels peaking at -1.

Chris, how do you like the ls-10´ look and feel? ;)

Its a very well built unit I would not use the mic input I would use the line input.. And then put the bass roll off after. Its extremely quiet I am going to be selling the one I have because I have done the tests I needed to do with it but its a nice recorder. I suspect this recorder is built by Panasonic not Olympus there is so many Panasonic parts inside its not funny not to mention the fact it came with Panasonic batteries. I would say its one of the best little recorders out there its got a great vu meter with good ballistics.. You can rely on the metering system. And the battery consumption is amazing No need for an external pack with this baby for sure atleast 10 hours on a single pair of AA's

Chris

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2008, 05:22:09 PM »
Just returned from my 1st testrun with the ls-10.
Small club and a rock/blues band was playing.
I started with dpa4061+bbox on MIC-IN, after 1 hour I switched to line-in but only for a short period - as supposed not enough output from the 4061s ...pushed the level to max. 10 and still peaks at only -20 to -16.
Then I switched to internal mics for some minutes and went home :) .

Conclusion: with dpa4061 the internal bass-roll-off of the ls-10 is perfect :) on mic-in.
For big arenas with higher SPLs LINE-IN (without roll-off) might be an option with 4061-alike low-sens mics.
Of course high-sens mics like dpa 4060ies or sp-cmc-8 should work fine on line-in, which is really quite INsensitive ;).

The internals sound fine too and the roll-off is really not too bad at and easy to boost in case you think it should be more.

Amazing low noise on all 3 tests.

sample 1: 24bit/44.1kHz => mp3 256kbit/s VBR lame 3.8
dpa4061+bbox on mic-in
LS10-dpa4061_bbox on mic-in.mp3 - 3.08MB

LINE-IN sample 24bit 44.1kHz =>mp3 256kbit/s VBR lame 3.8
normalized
LS10-dpa4061_bbox on LINE-IN.mp3 - 3.13MB

INTERNAL Mics sample: 24bit 44.1kHz=>mp3 256kbit/s VBR lame 3.8
ls10-internal mics-lowsens-lowcutoff-normalized
http://www.zshare.net/audio/2023444371cdd7f7/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 06:26:38 AM by Arni99 »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2008, 05:25:54 PM »
I started with dpa4061+bbox on MIC-IN, after 1 hour I switched to line-in but only for a short period - as supposed not enough output from the 4061s ...pushed the level to max. 10 and still peaks at only -20 to -16.

Conclusion: with dpa4061 the internal bass-roll-off of the ls-10 is perfect :) on mic-in.
For big arenas with higher SPLs LINE-IN (without roll-off) might be an option with 4061-alike low-sens mics.
Of course high-sens mics like dpa 4060ies or sp-cmc-8 should work fine on line-in, which is really quite INsensitive ;).

The internals sound fine too and the roll-off is really not too bad at and easy to boost in case you think it should be more.

Now you need a preamp and you will be at 0 :) with the line input :)

Chris

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2008, 05:32:22 PM »

What about the high noise ( the recorded music  ;D ;D)?
Amazing too?
Let me know and take care, my friend.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:33:56 PM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2008, 06:02:43 PM »

Now you need a preamp and you will be at 0 :) with the line input :)

Chris

I got 2 preamps Chris :) , SP-PREAMP and MM-PREAMP :).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:04:44 PM by Arni99 »

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2008, 06:27:30 PM »
Samples online on page 6 of this thread.
Normalization with Adobe Audition 3.0 but nothing else was done.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2008, 09:03:29 PM »

Sounds really, really great,Arni.
The Line In sample is my favorite.

P.S.: This club has a very good PA and sound guy! Of course you know where the sweet spot is, but
the sound on your samples is always clean and the instrument mix is perfect. You're a lucky guy!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:01:06 AM by Dede2002 »

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Albert Skye

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2008, 01:19:19 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone has disassembled the LS-10 (perhaps Chris, as he mentioned that it is likely made by Panasonic due to the prevalence of Panasonic parts). I removed the front and back plates (and was very impressed with the quality of construction) but I decided leave further disassembly for another time. Beyond my curiosity to see inside, I'd like to shorten the microphone cages to reduce the protrusion. So, as it wasn't clear to me on initial inspection, can anyone advise as to how the microphone cages are attached?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2008, 04:09:07 AM »

P.S.: This club has a very good PA and sound guy! Of course you know where the sweet spot is, but
the sound on your samples is always clean and the instrument mix is perfect. You're a lucky guy!
The LINE-IN sample was amplified ~+20dB.
With dpa4060s or sp-cmc-8 or your HLSC mics line-in won´t be an issue.
:)
Or as Chris said, low-sens mics like my dpa4061s+preamp on line-in.

Here the technical equipment of this club:
http://www.reigen.at/Download/RGLV_Technical%20Rider0808.pdf
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 04:41:11 PM by Arni99 »

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone has disassembled the LS-10 (perhaps Chris, as he mentioned that it is likely made by Panasonic due to the prevalence of Panasonic parts).

Yeah, like any good techie, Chris takes all of his toys apart.  He will probably know how that mic bodies are attached, but I think his main curiosity right now is why the low end response through the mic input is so much worse than through the line input.  My bet is that he'll find coupling caps that are too small (electrically) in the front end of the mic path.  I also bet he'll find that it's going to be pretty hard to replace them with caps whose capacitance is much higher, due to space constraints.  No bigger than that thing is, it's got to be packed pretty tightly.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2008, 12:01:46 PM »

The LINE-IN sample was amplified ~+20dB. Am sure silent parts would show white noise due to low-peaks.
With dpa4060s or sp-cmc-8 or your HLSC mics line-in won´t be an issue.
:)
Or as Chris said, low-sens mics like my dpa4061s+preamp on line-in.

Here the technical equipment of this club:
http://www.reigen.at/Download/RGLV_Technical%20Rider0808.pdf

Great info, Arni.
Thanks for sharing  :coolguy:

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »
here another sample from the Steve Lukather concert:
sp-cmc-8/bbox/line-in
07 07 Steve Weingart Solo.mp3 - 5.26MB

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2008, 04:40:29 AM »
Started a battery-life test yesterday on my ls-10.
2x Sanyo 2700mAh rechargeables 1,2V
15 hours yet at 44,1kHz 16bit and still running.....recording radio on line-in

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2008, 06:41:31 AM »
Started a battery-life test yesterday on my ls-10.
2x Sanyo 2700mAh rechargeables 1,2V
15 hours yet at 44,1kHz 16bit and still running.....recording radio on line-in

I knew it was good, but I hadn't realised it was *that* good.  ;D

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »
Just taped some minutes of a "school-band" with my sp-cmc-8 cardioids(standard sensitivity) + bbox on LINE-IN of the ls-10.
Used 10/10 full gain.
Nice levels in a small club peaking between -12 and -6.
Now I did some bass boost in post and also the silent parts with talking only show extremely low noise(actually I can´t hear any noise!) although i used full gain.

=>Don´t fear using 100% (10/10) gain on the ls-10´s LINE-IN ;) .

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 03:55:48 PM by Arni99 »

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2008, 04:30:36 PM »
info-update:
With a 16GB-SD(HC)-card(Transcend), the max. recording time(2GB limit) at 24bit 44.1kHz increases from 2h09min to 2h 15min compared to a 2GB SD-card or the built in 2GB flash-memory.
Don´t ask me why  ::)!?

I don´t want to miss the analog rec-level-wheel anymore, much more convenient than digital buttons IMHO.

With 16GB+2GB internal, there´s plenty of space:
3h22min x 9(at 16bit 44.1kHz)=>30,3 hours or 2h15min x 9(at 24bit 44.1kHz)=>20,25 hours.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:40:09 PM by Arni99 »

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »
info-update:
With a 16GB-SD(HC)-card(Transcend), the max. recording time(2GB limit) at 24bit 44.1kHz increases from 2h09min to 2h 15min compared to a 2GB SD-card or the built in 2GB flash-memory.
Don´t ask me why  ::)!?

Because with a > 2GB card, there is a full 2 gigabytes available to each file, where a gigabyte is 1024 megabytes and a megabyte is 1024 bytes.

By contrast, on what is legally sold as a 2 "gigabyte" card, they are measuring capacity assuming 1 GB = 1000 MB and 1 MB = 1000 bytes.

(1024x1024)/(1000x1000) = 1.049
135 minutes / 129 minutes = 1.046

The slop can be accounted for by rounding error, and perhaps settings or other hidden files taking up a couple bytes that make even less of the 2 GB card available.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »
Another thing that should be mentioned:
When using a 16GB SD card and you turn on the ls-10, the boot-up takes considerably longer....about 15sec.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:37:18 PM by Arni99 »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2008, 07:18:05 AM »
Another thing that should be mentioned:
When using a 16GB SD card and you turn on the ls-10, the boot-up takes considerably longer....about 15sec.

I use an 8GB SDHC card - I think that two 8GB cards are cheaper than a single 16GB.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
Prices for 8GB continue to fall.  I saw several deals for 8GB Class 6 SDHC for $16 USD
over the weekend.

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2008, 12:10:44 PM »
Hi!

I've been trying out my LS-10 with two different setups:

* CA14s > CA-9100 > LS-10 (line in)
* Core Sound cardioids > Sonic Studios PA-3SX-U > LS-10 (line in)

For both of these setups I need to have a very loud sound source to get decent levels, even with the LS-10 rec volume on 10. Is this normal? Anyone else has had the same problem?

-Colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2008, 12:58:43 PM »
Hi!

For both of these setups I need to have a very loud sound source to get decent levels, even with the LS-10 rec volume on 10. Is this normal? Anyone else has had the same problem?

-Colargol

The ls-10 does not provide any gain what so ever in the line input, As a matter of fact you have to set the level control to 10 in order to get unity gain. I suggest setting the mic input sensitivity to low and the plug in power off then use my preamp on the mic input with all the gains down low.

Chris

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »
Hi!

-Colargol

The ls-10 does not provide any gain what so ever in the line input, As a matter of fact you have to set the level control to 10 in order to get unity gain. I suggest setting the mic input sensitivity to low and the plug in power off then use my preamp on the mic input with all the gains down low.

Chris

But that mic input has that strange bass-roll-off feature that I would not want, right? Maybe I'll have to use my R09 for a while still...

If Olympus could fix the line input level and 2gb file limit, it would be an awesome recorder... Right now it does not seem like one...

-Colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2008, 02:15:33 PM »
Hi!

-Colargol

Chris

But that mic input has that strange bass-roll-off feature that I would not want, right? Maybe I'll have to use my R09 for a while still...

If Olympus could fix the line input level and 2gb file limit, it would be an awesome recorder... Right now it does not seem like one...

-Colargol

That is the reason I got rid of mine. It was a great recorder for voice but that stupid roll off on the low end for the mic input was crazy and the line input not having any gain what so ever was also crazy. It seems it was designed for recording a headphone output from a cd player and nothing more. And the built in mics sound like crap for another other then speech and even then I find the speech to be totaly unnatural sounding and thin.
The self noise is very low but hell anyone can make a recorder with no self noise if they DONT PUT ANY GAIN STAGE INTO IT :)

Chris

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »
Use high-sens mics like standard SP-CMC-8 +bbox on line-in.
No problem for amplified concerts with that setup.
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=212223&hit=1

OR low-sens mics like yours or dpa 4061 + preamp on line-in.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »

If you dont mind losing all that bottom end in your recordings by all means use the mic input for mics like the DPA 4060 it might not be such a bad thing but for Cardioid mics like the 853 or my mics you dont want to lose any bottom end at all. And at almost 20 db down at 25hz... you really dont want to lose all that even before you start recording. * as can be seen in the purple line *

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2008, 04:18:19 PM »

If you dont mind losing all that bottom end in your recordings by all means use the mic input for mics like the DPA 4060 it might not be such a bad thing but for Cardioid mics like the 853 or my mics you dont want to lose any bottom end at all. And at almost 20 db down at 25hz... you really dont want to lose all that even before you start recording. * as can be seen in the purple line *
yes, for my dpa 4061 setup mic-in is no problem as the bass-roll off is not bad for these boomy mics.
With sp-cmc-8 mics Line-In works great aswell.
I knew about the mic-in and internal-mic bass-roll-off before I purchased the ls-10.
I´d go line-in with just a bbox and my sp-cmc-8 for loud rock shows and it works great as you can hear in the Steve Lukather sample above from dimeadozen(NOT my recording though).

Additionally I can use my SP-PREAMP and even record speech on line-in ...with lotsa gain from thy external pre :) of course.
The result still sounds great though.
=> no issue at all for me using the ls-10.
 ::)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2008, 04:26:32 PM »

yes, for my dpa 4061 setup mic-in is no problem as the bass-roll off is not bad for these boomy mics.
I knew about the mic-in and internal-mic bass-roll-off before I purchased the ls-10.
I´d go line-in with just a bbox and my sp-cmc-8 for loud rock shows and it works great as you can hear in the Steve Lukather sample above from dimeadozen(NOT my recording though).

Additionally I can use my SP-PREAMP and even record speech on line-in ...with lotsa gain from thy external pre :) of course.
Well if you take into consideration that your mics are going to be somewhere around -38 to -35 db with a acoustic level of around 105 db that's a whole lot of gain to make up...... I just personally think the R09HR is a much better recorder. And since I did own a ls-10 and now own a hr I can say that with certainty. Not to mention the better signal to noise specs on the HR.

Chris

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2008, 05:13:43 PM »

Well if you take into consideration that your mics are going to be somewhere around -38 to -35 db with a acoustic level of around 105 db that's a whole lot of gain to make up...... I just personally think the R09HR is a much better recorder. And since I did own a ls-10 and now own a hr I can say that with certainty. Not to mention the better signal to noise specs on the HR.

Chris

I ´ve also tested the R09HR for some weeks but like the ls-10 more.
Of course it always depends what you intend to record and what mics you are using.
I like the look and feel of the ls-10 more.
Both a great recorders for sure.
 ;)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2008, 01:13:35 AM »

Chris

I ´ve also tested the R09HR for some weeks but like the ls-10 more.
Of course it always depends what you intend to record and what mics you are using.
I like the look and feel of the ls-10 more.
Both a great recorders for sure.
 ;)
I wish the R09 was built like the LS-10 For sure the LS10 is built very well. I tried finding out what surface mount caps were in the signal path so I could maybe replace them I suspect thats the problem with the low end roll off. Its always a compromise when you use surface mount caps and need to make something small its very hard to find tiny Mylar or other quality surface mount caps that are high in value say 5 to 10uf. I think if they can fix this flaw it could be a great recorder also adding at least 20 db of gain to the line input would be nice maybe they can fix these things in firmware.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2008, 04:05:56 AM »
I´ll tape a blues-rock-show in a 300 people club tomorrow with the internals only and boost low frequencies in post.
Tried that yet some weeks ago and the result was great to my ears. Better than the dpa4061 recording from the same show.
The internals-bass-boosted result was much more sharp edged sounding with less boominess and still great low-end after the boost.

Offline IanR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2008, 05:11:37 AM »
Just don't understand why the LS-10 was designed with the Line-in with the way it is. I've emailed Olympus about this but the reply basically said 'That's the way it is, there's nothing that can be done about it.'

But it works fine for recording in noisy environments. And the battery life is excellent unlike my R09HR, which eats through them like there's no tomorrow.

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2008, 07:38:01 AM »
Battery life for my 09HR is pretty good.  A pair of Duracell Ultras last thru a 4 hour show and still have more than a half a life left.  And that is with another deck or headphones patched into it. When you turn down the display and kill the red blinking record light, it does save a lot of energy.  I also used regular Duracells at a 4 hour show recently, patched in another deck and came home with a 1/3 life left. In general, I don't see any need to go more than 5 hours of taping for any show I see. Of course I don't use re-chargeables. Can't trust them...

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2008, 09:04:08 AM »
I´ll tape a blues-rock-show in a 300 people club tomorrow with the internals only and boost low frequencies in post.
Tried that yet some weeks ago and the result was great to my ears. Better than the dpa4061 recording from the same show.
The internals-bass-boosted result was much more sharp edged sounding with less boominess and still great low-end after the boost.

Use my graph to create a boost model so you can put it all back... If you use a parametric eq and adjust the q properly and the center frequency you should be able to use 2 bands and get the bottom end to be flat again..

Chris

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2008, 09:06:43 AM »
Just don't understand why the LS-10 was designed with the Line-in with the way it is. I've emailed Olympus about this but the reply basically said 'That's the way it is, there's nothing that can be done about it.'

But it works fine for recording in noisy environments. And the battery life is excellent unlike my R09HR, which eats through them like there's no tomorrow.

Its a huge design flaw in my opinion they could have made a product that knocked the R09 off its perch but failed miserably when it comes to the mic preamp design and the sound of the internal mics makes the Zoom h2 sound like a Neumann.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2008, 10:09:02 AM »

Use my graph to create a boost model so you can put it all back... If you use a parametric eq and adjust the q properly and the center frequency you should be able to use 2 bands and get the bottom end to be flat again..

Chris

Thx Chris, last time I did +10db(or +12db) up to 200Hz and it sounded really nice.
Usually I mess around with bass boost until i like the result.
Actually I like the ls-10 internals more than the R09HR internals which are real omnis.
The LS-10 internals are cardioids which I realized last time when I changed the position(angle towards stage) of the ls-10 just a little bit => the result was totally different.

Offline RetroDude83

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2008, 11:59:28 AM »
here's my result, recorded from right infront of the speaker

csc's > bbox > ls-10 (line-in) > wav > normalized > mp3

listen here: http://www.zshare.net/audio/513256657a48b079/

I can't complain...

Offline alwaysunday

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »
Retro Dude, what band is that? I really dig the sound.

Offline RetroDude83

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2008, 12:04:48 PM »
Retro Dude, what band is that? I really dig the sound.

Tito & Tarantula

if anyone is interested in more recordings made by me with the LS-10 check here

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:27:21 PM by RetroDude83 »

Offline trustthex

• Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »
...bumping an old thread...

So, unity on LS-10 is 10 on Line In.  Don't use mic in @ all. 

Explains why some of my stuff sounds so thin from last year.

Also, has anyone noticed that using google to search TS.com is much more efficient?   ;)
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.341 seconds with 151 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com