Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR1  (Read 41496 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Tascam DR1
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2008, 11:27:01 PM »
The battery is NOT built-in, but removable.  Its looks exactly like a a typical lithium camera battery.  I estimated battery life to be about 4-5 hours.  I'll do a test tonight to get the exact time.

7 hours and 7 minutes.  I was way off.  Straight recording with onboard mics, 24/44.1.  When battery ran out, the DR-1 safely saved the file.

Had to stop and hit record every time it got close to the 2:15:11 mark (bug).  The one time I forgot to, the file was saved, but the DR-1 did not start a new recording.  They'll need to fix that in the next firmware upgrade. 

Offline dave570

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Wait a min. Are you saying that it stops recording at that time due to a bug, not a filled card?  Is anyone else having this issue?  This is a killer for me if this is true.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2008, 04:56:54 PM »
Wait a min. Are you saying that it stops recording at that time due to a bug, not a filled card?  Is anyone else having this issue?  This is a killer for me if this is true.

I asked and this was addressed a few quotes above. The file stops at 2gb. This is not unusual and quite normal, but most recorders will seamlessly start another file, and a few like the (original) MT 24/96 will start a new file but lose a few seconds. This recorder just stops. I think it is funny that there has been so little concern or noise over this fact when it was such a big issue on the original MT 24/95.  ??? ;) ;D

That said, this unit seems like a great little unit! If they do address the issue and fix it, I'd really like to own one. 8)
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »

I asked and this was addressed a few quotes above. The file stops at 2gb. This is not unusual and quite normal, but most recorders will seamlessly start another file, and a few like the (original) MT 24/96 will start a new file but lose a few seconds. This recorder just stops. I think it is funny that there has been so little concern or noise over this fact when it was such a big issue on the original MT 24/95.  ??? ;) ;D

That said, this unit seems like a great little unit! If they do address the issue and fix it, I'd really like to own one. 8)

I for one think its a big improvement over the MT its much more quiet for one thing. If you dont have a digital preamp then this clearly is the way to go under $200.00 If you have the money then the R-09 is clearly the way to go IMO.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »

I for one think its a big improvement over the MT its much more quiet for one thing. If you dont have a digital preamp then this clearly is the way to go under $200.00 If you have the money then the R-09 is clearly the way to go IMO.

Disagree on 1 point:  I'd take the Tascam over the R09.  I own both right now.  DR-1 sound is very tight like the new R09HR.  Comparing them two is the ticket, IMO.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2008, 10:30:55 PM »

Disagree on 1 point:  I'd take the Tascam over the R09.  I own both right now.  DR-1 sound is very tight like the new R09HR.  Comparing them two is the ticket, IMO.
Any opinions on the mic input (self noise) on the Tascam vs the R09.  Or, the R09 vs the R09HR?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2008, 10:41:02 PM »
Hi Richard,

I have not.  I'll give the Mic-in a whirl later this week. 

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2008, 09:15:26 AM »
2 GB limit is OK, I understand this.  I don't plan on taping in 24 bit too often. 16 bit will get me 3 hours. I don't have to like this limit but I can understand it.  My DAT deck barely goes past 3:05 mins on a 90 meter tape anyway.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2008, 03:45:55 AM »
Is sound professionals still offering this for 199? Hope so I want to get one of these at that price. Don't see how I can go wrong.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Chaosu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2008, 05:12:06 PM »
Nope, but theres seller on eBay who sells for 199$ http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/soundpro99
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:18:57 PM by Chaosu »

Offline jpoprock

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2008, 11:40:59 AM »
I just got my DR-1 and I'm very excited about it. I decided not to load the newest firmware, and instead loaded v1.02 since that one seems to be the one everyone likes the best.

I'm going to be recording my band this weekend, and wanted some advice on how to best do that. I don't have a mic stand mount for it just yet, but I'm going to buy one from Sound Prof. I also might buy one of those fuzzy windscreens, unless you have a better suggestion.

I plan on using the built in mic's, and I'm not seeking uber professional results. I think the built in mic's should be fine. I was wondering if the position of the mic's make a difference in the sound? I did some testing in the car and didn't notice a difference after rotating them.

I was under the impression that I could stick the unit on stage over by me, and it would capture the audio pretty well. I was hoping that it would capture our performance from the same perspective as I hear it as I'm on stage.  Putting it in the center of the room on a stand would be the best for sure. But how far back should I put it from the stage? 15ft? 20ft? I'll have to be careful, since no one will be around to guard it. I'd like to buy a boom that I can hang from just about any venue's ceiling. That way It would be kept off the floor, safe from someone knocking it over or stealing it!

Any advice as to how I should set up the gain? Low gain? Med gain? I'm sure I'll need to leave about 4-6db of headroom, maybe less. I'm assuming an occasional peak won't hurt. I figure it's best to be a little low rather than too hot, because I can always adjust it with my software. I'm also gathering that it's best to use the limiter right? Should I use the limiter, or should I put it on auto?

I realize that this is going to require some trial and error, but I'm hoping to at least get a decent recording this weekend, so I thought I would ask.

I also have a "T" mic that I bought from Sound Prof some years back, with a little tripod stand. I'm not sure if that T mic is better or worse quality than the built in mics? I also have a battery box with low cut, etc. That may help, but only if using the external T mic. I suppose if I wanted to get really geeky, I could purchase a nicer stereo mic and use the Battery box to power it. It may yield better results. But I think I could be happy with just using the built in mic's, and just keep it simple. I don't want to fart with cables running everywhere, etc. I'm just trying to capture our performances as best as I can, for keepsake and reference.

Sorry to hammer you with so many questions!

Thanks!
Jason

Offline peachy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2008, 07:55:53 AM »
Been lurking for a while but wanted to ask you guys for advice...

I've been thinking about getting the DR-1 to record our band practices... however, we're full on metal so no acoustic guitars and a lot of drums. I am not sure if the DR-1 can handle the heavy distortions etc... or maybe with a seperate mic?

I think the Zoom is already out of the question. I'm not sure if any of these types of recorders would be suitable, though... does anyone have any idea?

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2008, 08:13:40 AM »
Hi Peachy, I've used the DR-1 at some pretty loud gig's volume wise and have never had a problem with clipping or distortion. That being said I have only ever used external mics, I've tried both line in with pre-amp and mic 1 with battery box with no issues.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2008, 02:40:44 AM »

Any opinions on the mic input (self noise) on the Tascam vs the R09.  Or, the R09 vs the R09HR?

Richard

They are quite simply the best built in mics I have ever heard in a recorder under $400.00 For general recording. I recorded my guitar amp and the sound was very good. The DR-1 Is using a primo em135 capsule the same one as Zoom is using except the DR-1's mic pre is so much better. I would say there must be some corrective eq going on. I will see if I can see what the curve is and upload a picture of it.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2008, 09:51:42 AM »
Since it is for the same Primo's any chance of cloning this pre amp and "moding" the h2?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com